Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fane Studio Collossus 18 Bass

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2022 at 1:25pm
i think you'll find them easier to sell without being modified.

Are they actually working or not? If they are ruined then why not, but no one will want a vintage driver that's no longer what it was.
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
andrei.oprescu.tl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrei.oprescu.tl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2022 at 2:20pm
they are not completely ruined, but they've been worked on before by someone who hadn't fine enough hands. the round steel thing in the center is off-center and the coil touches it. they aren't worth much if i were to sell them as they are now, so i'd rather keep them and remake them. i wouldn't sell them as vintage, i would sell them because of their new specs. bigger magnet means better control, so they wouldn't be any less than how the factory made them. i was just wondering if anyone has these in perfect condition what would they sell them for.
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2022 at 3:31pm
Once you butcher old speakers that are no longer in production, the value drops in the eyes who are seeking them. Those who buy out of production loudspeakers, purchase them based on how they sound.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
doller View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2022 at 12:14pm
May be wrong, but I remember the old Fanes (some of them) had bolted on magnets. So it was easy to re-center the voice coil. As I said could be wrong. Leave them as is and keep them vintage. My 2p's worth. They won't be a fane anymore. Just a mini with Carlos fandangoes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrei.oprescu.tl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2022 at 3:08pm
they do have bolts, but only the center steel thing is bolted onto the back plate. the back plate can be easily moved now, as the glue is not so strong anymore. they definitely need reconditioning, I wouldn't sell them as they are, because right now they're nothing but junk. i wired them on and they sound ok-ish, until i crank up the volume, when there's a clear distress going on with the coil. it sounds like i'm going to remake them, then build new enclosures for them and then sell them as a complete subwoofer set.
doller View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2022 at 8:24am
It does sound like they are pretty dead. Sounds like a good plan. About how much is it going to cost?
Just interested. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrei.oprescu.tl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2022 at 8:53am
the reparation of the two drivers is going to cost me around 400 EUR, which means new membranes, new suspensions (top and bottom), new (longer) voice coil and ALU voice coil former, an added magnet the same size as the original one (so the end product would have a 50mm thick magnet) and a new lathe-made back plate and center piece to fit the new size of the magnet. If you were asking about the price of the sub-woofers with the enclosures, I haven't thought of that yet. It's probably going to be something similar to a medium sized fridge, weighing about 120 kg each, so I'm not sure anyone would be interested in transporting them from Romania to Japan LOL
I am thinking of learning how to mix and becoming a DJ, case in which the subs would be really useful.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12