FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

whats best for sub dutty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: whats best for sub dutty
    Posted: 01 October 2015 at 10:20am
it's not a replacement for subs, but if you don't have subs it is a good substitute. if you don't set it too high you can still get plenty of impact from the 50-100Hz octave and get a decent imitation of the 25-50Hz octave. at moderate volumes it is very difficult to tell the difference between a full rig and tops with Waves. even when I'm running a rig that goes to 30 or 35Hz I often use the Waves Maxbass instead of a HPF.
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2015 at 11:12pm
Waves MaxBass 'sounds' OK, but there is no 'feel'.

Good for weddings.
djk
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2015 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by UpComingSound UpComingSound wrote:

so which one is a good unit to invest for now? what you tink Elliot ?

I bought those processors around 25 years ago when I was using Scoops. Once I got rid of my Scoops and designed my own Double Eighteens Reflex Subs which were capable of delivering bass within the teens, those processors went into retirement. I might add Bass today on pre-recorded material offers far more energy within the 30 – 10 Hz region today than in the 1990s. So if you are using a HPF higher than 20 Hz, a Subharmonic Processor is not for you.

The object of that video is for the spectator to let their ears be the deciding factor which processor would fit his/her requirement if need be.

The Aphex & Waves are not Sub harmonic Synthesisers as with the dbx and Behringer. The Aphex & Waves merely offer upper harmonic distortion giving the user the illusion that the bass is playing lower. They generally help for those who suffer in the mid bass/low midrange region. This is why, many rock enthusiasts praise the Waves & Aphex.

The Aphex is more subtle than the Waves which may be a good or bad thing pending on your requirements.

Best Regards,   

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 30 September 2015 at 10:44pm
Elliot Thompson
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2015 at 9:39pm
the only bass enhancers worth using are those that make the bass sound better without massively increasing the amount of power delivered to the speakers or introducing frequencies too low for the speakers. the aphex looks like it might do that though I have never used one. Waves MaxBass does a different thing which might be useful to you if your speakers don't go low enough. look at either or both of those.
AlmostSalty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlmostSalty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2015 at 9:19pm
Its humbug, save your money..
Sheggy View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2015 at 8:58pm
Look, it depends what you want to get out of it and whether your system can handle it without incurring damage. Why don't you tell us how you plan to use it and wat kind of music you'll play. It might save you some cash on recones.
UpComingSound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UpComingSound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2015 at 8:35pm
so which one is a good unit to invest for now? what you tink Elliot ?
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2015 at 2:11pm
Here is a comparison I made with three Subharmonic Synthesizers. I do not use them anymore as my cabinets are capable of playing in the teens in addition to modern music material offers more than enough sub bass within the 20 Hz - 30 Hz region.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2015 at 12:03pm
neither of those units are sub-harmonic synthesisers so don't increase cone excursion.

the BBE seems to just be a (poor) eq unit thought the review doesn't look at harmonic and transient response:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LosL-gdHLpk

the Aphex apparently increases the sustain of bass frequencies making them sound louder.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_3/aphex-204-big-bottom-7-2004.html

if I was going to try one I would go with the Aphex.

Phil
AlmostSalty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlmostSalty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2015 at 11:45am
Watch this video:

_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2015 at 7:31am
Octave dividers quadruple cone excursion.
djk
Sheggy View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2015 at 7:23am
easiest way to blow your speakers if you ask me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>