Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Powercon problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Powercon problems
    Posted: 11 October 2015 at 6:05pm
Anybody has experienced reliability (contact) problems with the NEUTRIK POWERCON 20A connectors?
Particulary the Neutrik NAC3FCA and NAC3MPA used on MARTIN MAC Viper moving heads and PKN XE amplifiers?
Sometimes these connectors "just does not make contact" quick replacement of them and everything is fine..
dlyxover View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlyxover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2015 at 8:17pm
Ive found both can suffer from charing on the contacts from being plugged and un plugged when live they, don't like it.

I've also had back part of a NAC3MPA come lose and not contacting due poor fixing

In the Truth there is no news, and in the News there is no truth
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2015 at 8:47pm
If you are hot plugging them you are going to have massive issues, and TBH you deserve massive issues, they are clearly marketed as not hot-pluggable and using them to make or break load is moronic.

If you tried that with a 315A camlok you would need new eyebrows...

But yes I have had an issue with my amp rack as the nugget that uses my rig on Wednesdays is hard of under standing and was doing just that....

He is now short of cash as he has to replace the connectors and distro...
RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2015 at 12:39am
Originally posted by shagnasty shagnasty wrote:

If you are hot plugging them you are going to have massive issues, and TBH you deserve massive issues, they are clearly marketed as not hot-pluggable and using them to make or break load is moronic.

But yes I have had an issue with my amp rack as the nugget that uses my rig on Wednesdays is hard of under standing and was doing just that....

Gotta learn some time...
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2015 at 1:04am
Originally posted by RoadRunnersDust RoadRunnersDust wrote:

Gotta learn some time...

meet the nugget!!! x LOL

In fact if I new he was on here I would have been a LOT ruder about it!!!!! Big smile

Edited by shagnasty - 12 October 2015 at 1:05am
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2015 at 3:28pm
For the 4amp current you loose (not that many powercons setups ever had access to that, most were 13A or 16A fed) I think the truecon wins all round, in-line mating with no £10 joiner, Make/Break rated, pity about the non-d sized holes!!
U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2015 at 8:11pm

We know that this type of connector has no breaking capability neither power-on during load.

Both the moving heads and amps where these used do have pretty good soft-starter and we never disconnect under load.

So burning-out of contact surfaces is not a possible cause of the problem. I have disassembled 2 or 3 of failed connectors but I have not seen any visible marks of burnings or arcing, the surface of contacts was almost untouched. It may be a mechanical non-contacting problem
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2015 at 9:01pm
Your are 100% sure they are Neutrik Powercon, not "another" make?
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2015 at 12:53am
"Ive found both can suffer from charing on the contacts from being plugged and un plugged when live"

The data sheet on the blue ones I bought said they are not rated for a live line disconnect.

Treat them with De-Oxit when new, no live disconnect, and they should last indefinitely (as mine have for four years).

Edited by _djk_ - 15 October 2015 at 4:20am
djk
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2015 at 7:28pm
What's with the little circular ring inside the back shell, an arrow points to a slot you can see it through but it doesn't seem to stop you unscrewing (all I could imagine it was supposed to do)

Edit:
on the powercon true

Edited by imageoven - 14 October 2015 at 7:29pm
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2015 at 1:42am
Originally posted by U.Viktor U.Viktor wrote:

We know that this type of connector has no breaking capability neither power-on during load.

Both the moving heads and amps where these used do have pretty good soft-starter and we never disconnect under load.

So burning-out of contact surfaces is not a possible cause of the problem. I have disassembled 2 or 3 of failed connectors but I have not seen any visible marks of burnings or arcing, the surface of contacts was almost untouched. It may be a mechanical non-contacting problem

Viktor

for a man that spouts so much about PFC, you must undersatand no moving head has any PFC in  first half cycle, unless you can tell me otherwise, by tell, Fluke 'scope trace will do, (I still remember the amp thread with the bellend that designed RF heads spouting about real world stuff he had never seen/used/'scoped/had a Scooby about, I assume he died head in oven, legs in freezer, proving a theory) the in-rush on most kit (no one will lend me PKN amp which apparent has fist half cycle control to test) is MASSIVE, I have just built/installed the world's first Radial LED screen 3KVA run time, inrush on the Meanwell supplies before I built a zero crossed half cycle sequencer was over 1200A, by over, it hit the roof of my 'scopemeter at which point I gave not a toss of the value, I just knew it had to go down, lots, hit 46A on first half cycle and a 20C breaker can hold in at that.

So back OT, moving lights, connect surge (analoge or Digi ballast) not shy, cretin with Powercon... 

Games over... 
U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2015 at 9:13am

Originally posted by U.Viktor U.Viktor wrote:

Viktor

for a man that spouts so much about PFC, you must undersatand no moving head has any PFC in  first half cycle, unless you can tell me otherwise, by tell, Fluke 'scope trace will do, (I still remember the amp thread with the bellend that designed RF heads spouting about real world stuff he had never seen/used/'scoped/had a Scooby about, I assume he died head in oven, legs in freezer, proving a theory) the in-rush on most kit (no one will lend me PKN amp which apparent has fist half cycle control to test) is MASSIVE, I have just built/installed the world's first Radial LED screen 3KVA run time, inrush on the Meanwell supplies before I built a zero crossed half cycle sequencer was over 1200A, by over, it hit the roof of my 'scopemeter at which point I gave not a toss of the value, I just knew it had to go down, lots, hit 46A on first half cycle and a 20C breaker can hold in at that.

So back OT, moving lights, connect surge (analoge or Digi ballast) not shy, cretin with Powercon... 

Games over... 

Actually these MARTIN movingheads here have flicker-free two stage switching power supply with boost-PFC (intermediate primary DC bus set to 395V stable) and proper soft-starter.
Not 400VAC proof but not bad at all. We have just minor reliablity problems with them.
Inrush currents when live connecting are bellow 30A as I remember. It would have been imposible to unplup under load since they are rigged on the top usually.. :-)

Post Reply Post Reply