Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Record Clamps!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Record Clamps!
    Posted: 22 October 2015 at 1:25am
You know,those things that can cost a lot of money. Placed on top of a record to push it down against the slipmat and make the record flat.

Anyway I dont have money to buy hifi crap but while searching some diy record clamp inspiration I came across that people have used for example hockey pucks and heavy glass artifacts as clamps.

I just happened to "save" a couple of heavy small drinking glasses from the thrash (at the moment didnt know why) and decided to test it now as a record clamp. Well Ill be damned,they actually work,nice one! Who would have thought. I saved all my money and the glass looks coolBig smile

Theyre also as wide as the usual record clamp and can be used with 7" also because theyre drinking glasses. Theyre just super thick on the bottom.

Anyway decided to share this with you. Dont buy a 200€ record clamp! Dumpster dive some old heavy glass items or go to a fea market. Ill go and check the local recycling cener tomorrow since there are glass items for free. Maybe Ill find some even heavier stuff.

It also seems to actually make the sound better,the fact that the record is flat and against the slipmat.

"what!?"
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2015 at 2:05am
Its rare to see that djs use them (or vinyl)LOL.

She is the only one infact that Ive ever seen use a record clamp. Interesting! Too bad she is from swedenDeadLOLJust kiddin,sweden is allright!

edit. Infact it might be a boiler room thing,to have clamps available if needed,dont know...

Edited by app - 22 October 2015 at 2:20am
"what!?"
woody2 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2015 at 2:09am

LOL
fat_brstd View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fat_brstd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2015 at 5:10am
I use the Audio Technica AT618 but TBH if your playing one deck style in a session it is just wasted time between songs having to take it off and put it back on again.
Adrians Wall Sound System
Melbournes Rootical Warrior
Roots - Dub - Steppers

facebook page
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2015 at 7:01am
I have a Michell record clamp, fits any deck and all of about £25 to buy. Very useful on some of the warped old singles i have.
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
valve head777 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2015 at 11:12am
does anyone know a method of un-warping a record?? be good to hear some tips!
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.
AlmostSalty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlmostSalty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2015 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by fat_brstd fat_brstd wrote:

I use the Audio Technica AT618 but TBH if your playing one deck style in a session it is just wasted time between songs having to take it off and put it back on again.

Can't imagine using this on single deck, and then having to flip to the dub cut.. Hope your playing a patient crowd LOL
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2015 at 12:29pm
Interesting that people actually use theseThumbs Up I thought that no one uses these. Nice!

What kind of benefits have you noticed when using a clamp?

Originally posted by AlmostSalty AlmostSalty wrote:

Originally posted by fat_brstd fat_brstd wrote:

Can't imagine using this on single deck, and then having to flip to the dub cut.. Hope your playing a patient crowd LOL

How long does it take to take the clamp off and put it on again 2seconds? Big smile I think the crowd can wait for 2seconds to get better audio...The rush is in the mindSmile

"what!?"
AlmostSalty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlmostSalty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2015 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by app app wrote:

How long does it take to take the clamp off and put it on again 2seconds? Big smile I think the crowd can wait for 2seconds to get better audio...The rush is in the mindSmile

Well lets say a mic in one hand, needle all the way back and flipping record in the other: 2 seconds flip. Mic in one hand, set the needle all the way back, placing clamp on near by table, flipping record, clamp back dropping needle back.. at least 5 seconds of awkward unpleasant silence! LOL Or over a two hour session thats a hole 1,5 minutes of play time lost in clamping.. I would rather suffer from potential feeding!!! LOL

In all seriousness i would actually like to hear how much a clamp helps compared to decent deck placement and feed securing. Like compared to what i've heard aba does with the inner cardboard roll from spent duct tape wrapped with elastic bands. I have saved up a few some time ago but never got around to testing it, but i've heard that its a 2£ fool proof solution to feed. Granted it might not have the added benefit of having your record strapped down with a weight, but in theory, would a large bass wave have an effect on such a small object like a vinyl itself? Or would must of your problems not come from resonance from lager objects under.    
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2015 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by AlmostSalty AlmostSalty wrote:

Originally posted by app app wrote:

Well lets say a mic in one hand, needle all the way back and flipping record in the other: 2 seconds flip. Mic in one hand, set the needle all the way back, placing clamp on near by table, flipping record, clamp back dropping needle back.. at least 5 seconds of awkward unpleasant silence! LOL Or over a two hour session thats a hole 1,5 minutes of play time lost in clamping.. I would rather suffer from potential feeding!!! LOL

In all seriousness i would actually like to hear how much a clamp helps compared to decent deck placement and feed securing. Like compared to what i've heard aba does with the inner cardboard roll from spent duct tape wrapped with elastic bands. I have saved up a few some time ago but never got around to testing it, but i've heard that its a 2£ fool proof solution to feed. Granted it might not have the added benefit of having your record strapped down with a weight, but in theory, would a large bass wave have an effect on such a small object like a vinyl itself? Or would must of your problems not come from resonance from lager objects under.    

LOL

I believe that the record itself can resonate.If there is air under the record the record is basically floating on the table. Making the record flat also helps as the needle dont have to travel uphill,as many records arent totally straight.

"what!?"
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2015 at 1:08pm
http://www.mastersounds.co.uk/shop/4573493857/turntable-weight-black/6779862

Some here too... I know a few people who use them and swear by them.
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2015 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by dylan-penguinmedia dylan-penguinmedia wrote:

http://www.mastersounds.co.uk/shop/4573493857/turntable-weight-black/6779862

Some here too... I know a few people who use them and swear by them.

I wonder how important the weight is. There are different weights in these,the heavier are about 400g and Ive seen one which was 260g. Hockey puck which also works as a clamp is about 170g.

It is said that if a turntable has suspension in itself a clamp too heavy will damage the bearing. I personally use a turntable which has a suspended platter. I tested with my glass ghetto clamp and it dont push the platter down,only the record. But with a heavier clamp it might push the platter down too,which is not a good thing.

Were having another kind of session this saturday where we have two turntables (direct drive) and Im planning to test the ghetto clamps there. Interesting to see and hear how they affect.
"what!?"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>