Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Punisher and X-tro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

X-tro with ferrite magnets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X-tro with ferrite magnets
    Posted: 01 November 2015 at 7:54pm
So. i have been trying to sell my MT128s to fund the next project but not had any luck and while thinking of what to do instead realised i have a pair of double 15 Peaveys taking up space that i don't use.
If i use the 15s from them with the XT8s and 1'' tops from the MT128s i have, i can build a pair of X-tros for just the price of the wood. Smile
(I never loaded the 12s properly as i could not afford the drivers and had to use some old RCFs i had kicking around so it won't be a loss to spit them. And if i sell on all the empty cabinets it could pay for the wood. The XT8s are loaded with the correct B&Cs)
While the Peaveys are a long way from ideal, with an EBP of 138 and BL of 17.70 they could work OK.
I am happy to loose a bit of quality for saving 1000 euros, or so.
The only issue is they have a very low Xmax of 0.9. However i will be using them on top of 4 ASS BS600 and can cross them over around 150 hz, maybe higher if nec.
The other issue is i have read here that the X-tros have very tight rear chambers, even with neodymium magnets. I have also read people saying Eminence Kappas are a good cheap alternative and fit with Ferrite magnets.
The peaveys i have are quite shallow, with an overall depth of 13.3 and a magnet diameter of 21.5.
Anyone know if these will fit and work ok?

It's not how big it is, it's what you do with it!
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2015 at 9:21am
Whow, xtro is a crazy heavy cab already!

1: Peformance:
Do a simulation if you've got specs, should be fairly easy, specs does not sound good to me, xmax of 0,9 for a 15" is too little, but 0,9 inch is too big, could it be 0,9 cm = 9 mm?

2 Fit:
You should be able to detmine this fairly easy, open plan in drawing program, open side view of driver into doc, add transparency, scale to same aspect ratio, see if it fits.
www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem
vmh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2015 at 9:31pm
1: Yea, i was thinking about that Xmax. Is 0.9 mm even possible? Maybe they got it wrong on the website and it is actually 9.0 mm or as you say 0.9 cm.
I do have horn resp but i wouldn't know how to work out the horn input parameters.

2: I'm not much of a computer guy. More a builder. it would be easyer for me to draw the plan to scale by hand and put in the driver measurements to see if it will fit. I was just hopeing  someone could save me some time.
Maybe i'm getting too old. Smile

It's not how big it is, it's what you do with it!
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2015 at 11:07pm
From memory the VC overhang on a kappa 15 is only 1.6mm and they do quite well in this type of application, that peavey might only have 0.9mm overhang but usable excursion should be a bit more than that, they might be ok.  
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2015 at 10:23am
Whow timebomb your thumbnail looks like turboconcentric
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2015 at 11:09am
Its kinda similar, its an 8" + 1" coax hid-high horn.

tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2015 at 1:48pm
Interesting, b&c?
I've seen these tops on ebay, what make are they?
Anything to do with Mykey?

EDIT: I see now they're yours, whow they look really handy, would love to try one, wonder how the range is from 200-400 siwth that fold? When I get rich I'll buy a pair, just to try it:-)

Edited by tv00 - 03 November 2015 at 2:00pm
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2015 at 1:58pm
Hi, no nothing to do with Mykey i make and sell them myself as my brand Soundgear.  Theres more info on my webpage and my facebook page if your interested.  Cheers.  James 
C-Audiofreak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Audiofreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2015 at 4:11pm
I understand the xtro is a fairly old design so would it have originally had ferrite drivers in it any way? Am curious as I want to build some using oberton 15's as am quite impressed with the quality and sound of the oberton stuff
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2015 at 7:34pm
No it didn't.
You have to make a simulation to compare or buy both drivers & test, there's some tricks for driver comparison
C-Audiofreak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Audiofreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2015 at 8:12pm
Ok please share said tricks 😊
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2015 at 9:12pm
Google around for xtro hornresp input, I'm sure it's around out there.
Happy weight lifting:-)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>