Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Building DnB Sub

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guthix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Building DnB Sub
    Posted: 09 November 2015 at 10:18pm
Hey all,

Just to start of, this will be the first sound system I have built so I don't have much experience in this area.

In terms of speaker cabinet designs, are there any particular cab designs which work better with EDM? (Particularly Drum & Bass).

I already have plenty of tops so that won't be an issue. I was thinking of a 2 x 18" or 2 x 21" cabinet in terms of size?

Any suggestions? Cheers! :)
Guthix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guthix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2015 at 12:20am
I was thinking more of just making the one sub and loading it with 2 drivers instead of let's say 2 scoops. But i'll take a look at that regardless :)

toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2015 at 6:35am
Originally posted by efinque efinque wrote:

Valve Sound System uses scoops.. you might need to ask the owners for the plans. I guess it's a modified version from an old scoop design, in the same fashion as Rog's Super Scooper.

They use an ASS scoop design, I think the RX18 but I may be wrong. Tony can tell all. It hasn't been out for ages anyway!
boots-hifi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boots-hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2015 at 7:33am
Why does it have to be a scoop? And if so whats wrong with the Hog scoop? Lab horns are massive, alkward and need to be used in groups of 4 or more so unles your doing massive events the bass will be mostly outside the venue. Id be looking at a reflex design, properly tuned. My Q18s play really low with the added EQ or even some cubos will sign. Having had 8-1850 loaded doing the bass at dnb nights id put on a regular basis they'd certainly feature highly on my short list.

Edited by boots-hifi - 10 November 2015 at 7:34am
fat_brstd View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fat_brstd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2015 at 8:25am
Single 18" Reflex subs, easiest to build, can be pretty cheap driver wise, small(ish) so fairly easy to move around & they generally sound decent. Build 2 subs to go with your tops, can run a rig like that with just 1 amp if need be and you can do stereo or mono in the middle, more versitile than a double 18".. Best place to start. If you feel it isnt powerful enough then you can either just build more or make the commitment to a much larger system which is another level of cost and can get really quite expensive.

Something like this -

Im not saying use that particular one but something like that.
Adrians Wall Sound System
Melbournes Rootical Warrior
Roots - Dub - Steppers

facebook page
JR.junior View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR.junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2015 at 8:53am
Scoops for dnb, jungle..
Support the scoop technology, larger mouth plays louder!
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2015 at 9:29am
Originally posted by JR.junior JR.junior wrote:

Scoops for dnb, jungle..

In an ideal world yes. But they for sure need a kick section especially as I've heard scoops without a kick section playing D+B. Sounded very slow.
Unless the OP used an efficient 15" and 1.4", I'd suggest 2x B&C sub 18 with a pair of 12" + 1".
It surprises me all the time when I hear a decent 2x 18 reflex with tops on sticks style system, very versatile
You can't polish a turd!
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2015 at 10:22am
Scoops or reflex if you're starting out. The folded horns you need to do DnB properly are huge and you need a good few of them to work the way they should. I'd tend towards reflex with a lower than usual tuning and meaty drivers with both highish BL for speed (25+) and high x-max. I'd avoid slow heavy cone drivers in reflex or scoops unless you're going for a big system where you can have kicks. Tried them and no punch (nice sub though).

I agree with what Fat_Bstrd mentioned above: B&C 18PS100 or Fane 18XB in the B&C sub18 design would be where I say to start as they both sound good, go quite low and don't require some kind of supermegaamplifier to get them humming. They could also be used as a kick section if you chose scoops later.

That box dosen't go to 30Hz but it'll take a 35Hz cutoff and is certainly sufficient to give it some welly. To use them effectively outdoors you'll need 4.
Don't test the champignon sound
Guthix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guthix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2015 at 1:55pm
Hey all,

Thanks for all the feedback, So the general message i've been getting is that it would be easier and I would get more bang for my buck by just making some simple 18" reflex subs.

Now, correct me if i'm wrong, would there be anything wrong with making one of these? 

https://www.freespeakerplans.com/plans/14-plans/basscab/8-mtb-246

It's a MTB-246 2x18" ported horn. I would like one of these partly because it's all in one so it's slightly more convenient, also my experience with hearing something similar to this is that they sound beautiful (if that's anything to go by).

As I am fairly new to this what would be the best way to go about wiring the drivers to the socket panel and what socket panel would I need?

Also, What amp/amps would I need to power these bad boys? Each driver runs at 900w RMS.

Thanks for your time!
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2015 at 2:14pm
f3 44hz for one box doesnt seem to cut it for your application..

which tops exactly do you own? whats the typical venue size you need to cover?

going from there might help finding an ideal solution..
Heathrow_B_line View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heathrow_B_line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2015 at 2:16pm
why dont the move the ports closer to the sides?
Produce a killer sound. Take no prisoners.
Guthix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guthix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2015 at 2:21pm
I don't know what tops they are as they are so of-brand.

I just know that I have two of them with 15" cones and compression drivers. Although my mate has something similar so we usually rig them together with a shitty sub (proper ghetto rig at the moment).

We tend to just use it for parties, and at the moment now we've moved to the bigger barn it really is lacking in low end hugely. I don't know about dimensions but it's standard sort of sized barn.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>