Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Regular Piezo tweeter vs Dome?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikehende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Regular Piezo tweeter vs Dome?
    Posted: 27 November 2015 at 12:23am
Hey guys, as far as tweeters go, do any of you use the dome type piezo like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/160702148530?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82

If yes, can you tell me the main difference soundwise between the regular piezo and the dome piezo's please?
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2015 at 1:48am

It is just a Piezo on a different horn type. The membrane is not of a Dome Tweeter hence, it will not sound like a Dome Tweeter but a Piezo Tweeter.

Best Regards, 

Elliot Thompson
mikehende View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikehende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2015 at 12:25pm
Thanks, many years ago I had one of that dome horn shaped tweeter, if I remember correctly I would get some vocals coming from it, I am thinking with the regular piezos there should be more highs coming from them than vocals than the dome, am I correct please?

Reason for asking is, recently I had switched from an Ashly 1001 xover to a driverack PA+ but I will soon be switching to the Ashly 2001 version running a 4 way mono config going to "low, low mid, high mid and highs". I would need to decide between the regular piezo and the dome for the highs section and that is why I am asking about the vocals coming from the dome horn issue. What I am thinking is since my horns in my 2-way peavey tops will be running the high mids then it would be overkill to have any vocals coming from the tweeters so then my choice should be regular piezos for highs?

Edited by mikehende - 27 November 2015 at 12:27pm
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2015 at 3:34pm
Piezos like this are super tweeters and should never be crossed any lower than 5khz but an 8khz crossover wouldn't be unusual. If you get any vocals coming through your piezos the crossover is too low, that isn't a fault of the piezo it's your mistake with the crossover.

Edited by Conanski - 27 November 2015 at 3:38pm
mikehende View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikehende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2015 at 3:51pm
Oh I see so it does not matter whether it's a dome type or regular piezo, it's the xover settings I would need to adjust for either one, thanks. If that is correct then my next issue would be exactly how many to get? I am thinking since I will be running a small mono system with one dual 18 reflex sub, 2 peavy tops each with one 15" mid and horn run parallel that I will need a tweeter setup to match. Whether I should go with dome type or regular piezo, would one of this suffice for my yard use?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRO-AUDIO-DJ-PA-HIGH-FREQUENCY-SPEAKER-SIX-HORN-PIEZO-TWEETER-CABINET-/281656009606?hash=item419401a386:g:~2IAAOxyD9JSAZ-h

Edited by mikehende - 27 November 2015 at 3:52pm
 Post Reply Post Reply