Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PKN XE6000 AMP?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 10:14am
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Originally posted by Andy Kos Andy Kos wrote:

So just the three years from announcement of availability to actual availability? Those sure are turnaround times I can base my business on!

The XE10000 (as opposed to XE10000-U) was only announced as available in April at Frankfurt. Previously they were only offering XE10000-U

So a company that is supposedly a world leader in power supply manufacturing couldn't make an SMPS amp that runs on more than one voltage range?

Sounds great

They could, and they did, but it relied on certain components, that unfortunately proved difficult to source. They have made some crazy stuff in the past, but in order for it to reach market, it has to be possible to manufacture it in a financially viable way, and relies on various suppliers in the supply chain being able to supply specific components.

Making things to operate at lower power, in a larger 2u/3u amp gives you more flexibility. When you are trying to fit maximum power into a very small 1U case, you don't have the same flexibility in component choices, some physically wont fit, others wont handle the power.
just a guy with a warehouse and a few speakers... www.bluearan.co.uk
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 11:23am

So just the three years from announcement of availability to actual availability? Those sure are turnaround times I can base my business on!

The XE10000 (as opposed to XE10000-U) was only announced as available in April at Frankfurt. Previously they were only offering XE10000-U

So a company that is supposedly a world leader in power supply manufacturing couldn't make an SMPS amp that runs on more than one voltage range?

Sounds great

They could, and they did, but it relied on certain components, that unfortunately proved difficult to source. They have made some crazy stuff in the past, but in order for it to reach market, it has to be possible to manufacture it in a financially viable way, and relies on various suppliers in the supply chain being able to supply specific components.

Making things to operate at lower power, in a larger 2u/3u amp gives you more flexibility. When you are trying to fit maximum power into a very small 1U case, you don't have the same flexibility in component choices, some physically wont fit, others wont handle the power.

Is a 2u amp that much of a deal breaker for people? LabGruppen seem to be doing okay with 2U. Somehow I think they might get a better return on investment in R&D if they made a 2U amp and actually sold it. 

Also any word on the H8? 
U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 12:58pm
We have few XE10000U in our inventory too, while I just tested the XE10000 three weeks ago with great results.
Do not mix them, They are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT amplifies inside while the outside is very similar!

XE10000U has Universal power supply and similar 'half-bridge switching amp' like Powersoft K10.
I think most of you have already experienced that these XE PKNs offer better sound quality than Powersoft K series, I mean fine details in music, vocals, highs & mids not bellow 20Hz infrasub tones..
The XE10000 has normal EU power supply (160V-250Vac) with PFC of course like other XE or XD amps from PKN.
I better like the sound quality of the XE , likely due higher resolution and other advantages of the bridged output than the simpler half-bridge!
Working bellow 180Vac mains is not important for us in Europe Central. So the normal EU version is OK here.
I would not really need more power for our work what the XE6000 delivers but the extra headroom offered by the 10000 model is eye catching, especially we got friendly pricing not lots more expensive than 6000 :-)

Edited by U.Viktor - 19 May 2018 at 1:05pm
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 4:26pm

Sounds great

Yes and you’d almost expect someone who’s entire job is to build things based on said components to plan for that, no?

I look forward to hearing a H8 amp in 2040
teeth View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2024 at 10:37am
hi, the plastic screen front of my XE6000 has fallen off for some reason, looks like the adhesive failed.

anyone know how can I remove the front to replace it? i can’t get the frontage past the handles protruding from the front.

i could try an fiddly fix through it but don't trust myself not to get glue everywhere...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011