Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gear that substitutes a reggae preamp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rudeboy94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gear that substitutes a reggae preamp
    Posted: 13 January 2016 at 7:58pm
That's exactly what you read in the title: which intrument do I need to replace a reggae preamp for my sound system? We're starting to build it up and we'll start playing without the scoops using reflex for sub in 3 ways, in very small events. We don't have a budget that is bigger enough to buy a reggae preamp like a JTS or any other so we're looking for a cheaper solution. I'm sure that need an active crossover and a mixer but wich features does this mixer need?
Followin' the vibes
dj jammin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj jammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2016 at 8:28pm
App..... !
Reverence Sound system

tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2016 at 10:48pm
Most dsps can be remoted wifi with a router and have most of the same features
But you'll have no knobs to get "hands on musicality", so unless you know how to program your own midi-controller you're probably in problems, I've been thinking about this a couple of times.
For instance my xilica has plenty of eqs & mute functions, but NO ECHO OR REVERB:-(
-No analogue feel to it.
Midas / behringer can probably do both mix / xover with the new digital mixers / rackmixers.

To be honest I'm not the right one to ask, but I've been thinking about the same and my conclusion was that you'll need a hands-on controller, multieffects & practice:-)
www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem
King Simeon View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Simeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2016 at 11:02pm
You can still consider a mini pre amp.
https://www.facebook.com/KingSimeonSound?ref=stream     
https://soundcloud.com/king-simeon
dj jammin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj jammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2016 at 11:06pm
To be fair if you want the hands on control and features of a reggae pre, the cheapest option is probs getting a preamp! Unless you have the bits needed for an App style ghetto pre already (ie mixing desk, two crossover units fx etc) 
Reverence Sound system

shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2016 at 12:24am
A BSS soundweb, a panel with some knobs and switches, a help from a good Sound to program it....

A 9088iiS and 9000 will give you 16 external controls, that is a massive amount of control, but the whole thing with a Pre-amp is the bit between the panel and the floor, I consider a pre more like a musical instrument than an LMS, the magic is in the man...

dj jammin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj jammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2016 at 12:51am
Wouldn't that lot cost more than the pre??
Reverence Sound system

dj jammin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj jammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2016 at 1:07am
Also I don't think an lms would let you plug in a delay unit or have fx sends? Maybe I'm wrong..
Reverence Sound system

dj jammin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj jammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2016 at 1:08am
Or have mic preamps come to think of it.. or riaa phono preamp..
Reverence Sound system

shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2016 at 1:48am
About £300 would give you the 2 BSS units if you shop around, the 9000 is purely to give more Aux controls, if you could put up with a touch screen laptop and 8 control you could bin the 9000, the 9000 is the cheapest thing they do as i am yet to work out why I might use one (I have one, just case the light comes on during the gig and I gain enlightenment..) you then need a panel with some pots, switches and LEDs (£50 max) 

For Mics, you either need a Mic board or a Radio mic with line in...

For Phon, you would need a face off Riaa preamp, but I am seeing more Sound System moving away from Vynl to MiniDisc or CD, you have 8>* with a soundweb, a lot of Pre-amps don't offer 8 inputs let alone 8 outputs..

A Soundweb is load more than a LMS, crap like XTA is an LMS, Soundweb is what ever you can dream it to be...

New they cost a mint, if you like the idea and go for it, a Blu will cost more than a pre, but for a quick dabble, I think £350 will give a great insight into how 1) a Pre works and 2) how you want YOUR pre to work, the reason these things have no labels is usually the guy driving it has had it modded out to his exact requirements and as such, it is his machine, no labels required...

The DSP option let you use software to build your creative, not try and wrap your creative into someone else vision...
dj jammin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj jammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2016 at 2:16am
That's interesting stuff.. I heard BSS soundweb and presumed £££££...

Reverence Sound system

tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2016 at 2:40am
[QUOTE=shagnasty]A BSS soundweb, a panel with some knobs and switches, a help from a good Sound to program it.... ...[/QUOTE
completely forgot about this thing, what panel? or HOW? -software looks cool:-)
xtas are nice though, just not the limiters, ruins all F1 bass / sounds like a bathing ball:-(
www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>