Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gear that substitutes a reggae preamp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2016 at 2:47am
edit. Just understood the first post. Its useful in my opinion to have aux send which can be chosen to be pre or post. Some sort of sweepable eq in the mixer is also good,I have sweepable "mids".

Edited by app - 14 January 2016 at 2:52am
"what!?"
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2016 at 10:21am
For true 'hands on' experience, you need a small mixing desk, (analogue) crossover and a couple of graphic eq`s, or maybe one graphic and a parametric, eg quick search found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-EQ-Altec-1905A-Klark-Teknik-5-Band-Parametric-Equalizer-/301844792482

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Rudeboy94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rudeboy94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2016 at 10:48am
Ok the most important thing that I've understood is that there are so many choices and things to know about this kind of electronic gear, so before making a choice it may be better if I study this stuff a bit more, does anyone have a reading that deals with this? Then I'll be able to consider your suggestions.
Followin' the vibes
Rudeboy94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rudeboy94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2016 at 10:53am
Originally posted by King Simeon King Simeon wrote:

You can still consider a mini pre amp.
I saw this machines in various websites like mostec, rdh or jts and they come to a consistent lower price than normal preamps but my plan is to upgrade my rig with 2 scoops and so an addictional way to divide sub and kick, are mini pres able to control also this kind of rigs?
Followin' the vibes
dj jammin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj jammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2016 at 11:13am
Preamps big and small are all 2way 3way 4way 5way fixed... you want to plan for however many way your gonna need as you can always mix ouputs if you want less 'ways'..  what a preamp does for you, if you play reggae soundsystem, is very hard to recreate using standard gear.. you could waste a lot of time and money trying things out..  however you might end up wiith something unique and/or better/more flexible than a standard pre..
My advice.. start searching for a pre.. 

Reverence Sound system

app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2016 at 1:44pm
I wish there were smallish mixers with parametric or semi parametric eqs on lomids and himids. There just is none,or are there?
"what!?"
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2016 at 3:13pm
I would use an 8-16 channel analogue mixing desk with multiple groups on it, set up as follows:
- Music/mic sources, sirens and effects returns plugged into first few channels (eg 1-6) and routed to stereo bus. Overall EQ of sources can be done on the channel EQ's and any compressors/channel strips for mics etc connected to the insert points.
-Effects sends are plugged into the aux sends of the desk.
-Stereo bus feeds a crossover.
-Outputs of crossover (eg a 4 way) are brought back into last few channels of the desk (eg 12-16) and routed *not* to stereo bus but individually to group busses 1-4, which are also *not* routed to stereo. EQ for each box in the system can be done on the channel parametrics, and/or graphic EQ's on the insert points.
-Each group output then feeds a limiter, if desired, and then on to the relevant amplifier. So no matter what you do on the faders, the limiter is still the last thing in the chain and can protect your drivers.

In this way, any source or an entire band of the system can be fed to your effects units, everything can be EQ'd as you like, and you have a nice set of faders to control your system levels on. Any source that's already band-limited (eg sirens, your reverb/delay return) could be routed directly to the appropriate cabinets, bypassing the crossover. Thusly, you could have a full-range siren or delay tail going on, even while a music band is killed on the faders. Lots of possibilities!
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2016 at 4:03pm

"what!?"
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2016 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by app app wrote:

I wish there were smallish mixers with parametric or semi parametric eqs on lomids and himids. There just is none,or are there?

A&H MixWizard!  Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2016 at 12:21am
Sounds like you need a regular DJ mixer for the RIAA preamps and general signal flow, and then a rack mount 2 or 3 way crossover and a couple EFX processors. Connect it all up and you pretty much got everything that a proper preamp has... no this won't be exactly like a reggae preamp but it's enough flexability and functionality to produce a reasonable imitation to learn on.
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2016 at 12:57am
A whole lot of crap here from people that haven't a clue what a Pre is used for and how...

A soundweb with a panel, yes....

A F**king MixWizz, stroll on.......

Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2016 at 8:45am
Originally posted by shagnasty shagnasty wrote:

A whole lot of crap here from people that haven't a clue what a Pre is used for and how...

A soundweb with a panel, yes....

A F**king MixWizz, stroll on.......

Uuuuuuhhhmm - the guy asked about small mixers with parametric mids. What´s the problem? And what´s that in the video he posted? Not exactly a reggae pre. Please look at the context before opening your mouth.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>