Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New outdoor speaker - Soundboks by saturnus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New outdoor speaker - Soundboks by saturnus
    Posted: 01 March 2016 at 10:48am
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/554939252/soundboks-the-loudest-battery-powered-speaker

What do you guys think about this? I thinks it's amazing i ordered it right away!

Edited by roopes - 02 March 2016 at 11:53am
DJ-Dulux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Dulux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2016 at 11:30am
Its not Bipolar, bit surprising and I wonder why, target cost maybe? Looks a great speaker anyway, wonder how it stacks up against the Boominator?

Very tempted to support this, works out around £350 which seems very good value especially considering 2*8Ah LifePo4 batteries included!

Dupe...
Dupe...
roopes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2016 at 11:42am
Originally posted by DJ-Dulux DJ-Dulux wrote:

Its not Bipolar, bit surprising and I wonder why, target cost maybe? Looks a great speaker anyway, wonder how it stacks up against the Boominator?

Very tempted to support this, works out around £350 which seems very good value especially considering 2*8Ah LifePo4 batteries included!

Dupe...

I'll make a comparasion against the halfinator when i get the soundboks. 

The price is also including charger and shipping to Europe/US so it almost cost as much as my halfinator

Edited by roopes - 01 March 2016 at 11:43am
Ganon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ganon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2016 at 12:23pm
Haven't heard the mk2, but the mk1 disapointed me big time, sounded bad and distorted when played max and the tweeters was to loud.
Saturnus wasn't part of the mk1, so the mk2 must be alot better.
lost eden View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lost eden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2016 at 2:13pm
What sort of 'nightclubs' are they going to that are only 113dB?
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2016 at 5:18pm
It looks SO well thought-out. The all-in-one electronics board is the bee's knees, and all that metalwork should make it nicely idiot proof. I might have built the wheels into it, but I guess you can put better wheels on a separate trolley.
How's that 119dB max figure measured? At 1m, or at a normal in-context listening distance?
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2016 at 5:59pm
I like the bottle-opener and the "turn it up to 11" volume control :-)

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2016 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by studio45 studio45 wrote:

How's that 119dB max figure measured? At 1m, or at a normal in-context listening distance?

White noise @1m. Averaged.

In regards to SQ. I'm very happy about it and I think you'll all be pretty impressed as well when you get a chance to hear it.

EDIT: Btw, 119dB is not the max peak. I've measured 130.5dB @1m peak but please take that as a tenuous estimate because it will be highly listening condition dependent.

Edited by Saturnus - 01 March 2016 at 7:47pm
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2016 at 7:36pm
Why not bipole? Ease of assembly? Really nice product!
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2016 at 9:14pm
Aluminium edging, hah! Very "rock n roll"
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2016 at 12:52am
It turned out to be too hard a sell to be bipolar. It was simply not possible to convince people that the speakers on the back actually did any good. However, I found a reasonable work-around could be achieved in DSP processing.

What you don't see on the kickstarter page is that we've used only the best quality components and materials everywhere, within a reasonable price frame naturally.

Woofers are custom-made from Eminence to our specifications and actually comes delivered in matched pairs to our EMS partner.

Tweeters are custom-made from a Chinese manufacturer as we could not find anything on the market that matched our requirements, especially the durability of what we could find on the market was a serious issue as magnets would break off or the horns would crack when drop tested from as little as 1m mounted in cabinet, so we had to specify our own.

The aluminium edgings are a special softer alloy that together with the rubber used to glue them in place absorb knocks, and the rubberised glue makes them able to expand and contract to withstand even extreme temperatures. The wood is construction grade baltic birch plywood. The most durable type of plywood there is to make sure the speaker survives even the toughest use conditions and to ensure the best possible bass response and the cabinet is almost completely free of vibration that would negatively affect bass impulse response and midrange detail even at maximum volumes.

The batteries are indeed LiFePO4. But not only that, it's the highest quality cells you can get. Better than anything you can find anywhere through regular sales channels. They are not even for sale on the market. They are only made on order in high quantities.

I have personally visited all our partners and subcontractors factories to ensure quality control, working conditions and worker safety is top notch.

Sorry for the sales pitch but I'm just very excited about our product, and I'm also extremely happy to finally be able to show you what I've been working on for the last 8 months now. 

Edited by Saturnus - 02 March 2016 at 2:49am
Roo2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roo2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2016 at 5:26am
Thanks Saturnus. This looks like a winning product. I'll pledge for a Soundboks too;)

Edited by Roo2 - 02 March 2016 at 4:17pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>