Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New outdoor speaker - Soundboks by saturnus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2016 at 7:03am
Originally posted by Saturnus Saturnus wrote:

Sorry for the sales pitch but I'm just very excited about our product, and I'm also extremely happy to finally be able to show you what I've been working on for the last 8 months now. 
I am glad that all those years helping the DIY community finally offered you some form of payback in this new business of yours! 

Nice work! Clap
https://www.instagram.com/my_modular_journey/
mr. doom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr. doom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2016 at 5:09pm
I am sure it is a killer product Saturnus, congrats on the sucessfull Kickstarter! 

Any chance we can see a shootout with the other portable PA boxes like the Behringer mpa40,Roland BA 330 and Mackie Freeplay... Ending with a durability test would be stellar too as I would love to see someone jump on those  plastic boxes.  

I was starting the process of building a durable half boominator for my Bob bike trailer but think your Soundbok may be a more convenient size and definitely look better. 

Edited by mr. doom - 22 March 2016 at 12:28am
crossed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crossed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2016 at 12:33am

Sorry for the sales pitch...

I don't feel like it is a real sales pitch, and even if it is, it is delivered with some, well-eaned, credibility.
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2016 at 2:27am
I've started looking into optimizing the speaker and setting the DSP to correct levels to optimise the sound quality. Up until now securing long term reliability and generally investigating the limitations of the speaker and amplifier has been prioritised. So up until now not much work have been done to fine tune the speaker as such. I've only set it at some rudimentary settings that were good enough for show casing but not for more critical listening. There's still a couple of weeks until production starts so we'll get there. Although I also feel I must stipulate that it's not meant as to replace a home stereo hi-fi system. It can do it in a pinch but it's a party speaker meant for blasting at high volumes... outdoors (or in a large room)... for a very long time.

Edited by Saturnus - 23 March 2016 at 2:33am
nsh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2016 at 12:19am
--

Pledge $499 or more

FINAL EARLY BIRD - SAVE $200 
Retail: $699

1x SOUNDBOKS, 2x Batteries, 1x Aux-cable

Estimated delivery: 

Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2016 at 4:04am
Well, right now delivery looks like it's going to be late May or early June for the last pledges.
DavidP View Drop Down

20,000th Member!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2016 at 3:12pm
Will spares be available? Was thinking about adding a few of these to hire stock.
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2016 at 3:20pm
http://https://www.facebook.com/events/867593693350175/

Or to those not venturing into the 21st century yet, there's a showcase event in Viccy Park this Sunday where you can get a chance to listen to a production speaker (or very near to at least).

More exactly at the Victoria Park Tennis Court at 2-3 PM Sunday.

The team will also be in Manchester Thursday and Friday if anyone up north wanna have a listen.

For the Viccy Park event please sign up on facebook, or just show up. And if you're interested in listening to it in the Manchester central area, send me a PM and I'll send it the request on.

I'll not be a the events personally unfortunately as I'll be in Lithuania and Germany.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2016 at 3:36pm
I definitely want to have a listen, can you PM me a contact number for the guys? Happy to host something at our warehouse or in the club next door too if you want to make it more formal.
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2016 at 6:30pm
It's the London Marathon this weekend so I won't be able to make it :(

Should have said, could have showcased it here.
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2016 at 9:52pm
How are things going Saturnus? Mid april is slowly passing, are the first units on their way? What is going on behind the scenes?
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2016 at 7:24pm

http://https://www.facebook.com/events/867593693350175/

Or to those not venturing into the 21st century yet, there's a showcase event in Viccy Park this Sunday where you can get a chance to listen to a production speaker (or very near to at least).

More exactly at the Victoria Park Tennis Court at 2-3 PM Sunday.

Oi - I ain't dealin wid dat bomboclaat facebook business :-)

Well - I went along on Sunday and met up with the folk + speaker. Coupla my mates were there .... weather was feckin cold and windy and bit of damp/rain, so not very conducive to hanging out for a while  .... but we certainly put the speaker throught its paces - so here's my impressions/little review. The box we had there is apparently not quite final production release.

Its loud. Yes - loud. I guess the size/weight.specs are all available online so won't dwell on that, but I'd say its about the size of 2 small suitcases side-by-side. When you pick it up, it feels pleasantly lighter than you'd expect fom the size .... (is it neo drivers ?).
It looks pretty bomb-proof with those corner protectors (and is apparently so designed).
It seems to me like a proper piece of comercial kit - designed to work hard and withstand some treatment.

I llike the battery arrangement - the 12V LiFePo4 battery mounts in a hatch in the side, so easy to swap out ... and the box ships with 2 batteries - which I like. It would be pretty easy also to hook up a chunky lead-acid leisure battery (well I'm assuming there'd be no problem with that - Saturnus ?) - if you want it to play the whole weekend around the clock at full welly.

On the side is the recessed connector/controls panel. Volume goes to 11 :-) Like it.
Personally I'd like a bit of EQ of some sort - just bass + treble would be useful - can't see it adding much to the cost .... but there again the Jamaican music (old and new)  I play  can have some fairly wild differences in overall balance - others playing more "mainstream" music might not feel the need for this so much.

OK - sound quality. Welll at the low end - I'd say it sounds nice and tight - well controlled and tight.
I think it must be HPF'd at around 80Hz or so (largely in the interests of battery life I'd guess)- but still gives a good "impression" of bass - especially considering we were hearing it sat on grass in the middle of a park. If put against a wall in the street somewhere  ..... police will get get called fairly rapidly methinks. I'd say its a well implemented reflex design with a good deal of cone area (2 x 10") - so can shift some air.
HF seemed to work well - no shortage of brightness and "fizz" to the sound.
Lower mid (lets say vocal range)  is strong and clear and loud.
Now in the upper midrange is where there's a bit of a problem I think. It can (at times) sound kinda brittle .... edgy .... a bit like early amp clipping maybe - (dunno if thats what it actually is) .... or mebbe something odd happening around the Xover point. I'm told Saturnus is working on the DSP to address this (so its not just me hearing it). Not always easy to tell - as my mates music  (we were playing a mixture of old reggae - some remixes etc. and bashment-ish style and some more modern roots-ish stuff) is not always the cleanest - due to how/where it was sourced.
Needs sweetening/controlling a bit in upper mid.

I have coupla suggestions for any mk2 versions ....

I'd like a voltmeter of some sort across the battery.

A continuously multi-colour LED might be OK .... although I'd prefer a digital meter with a momentary contact  switch - just to check voltage now and again without depriving the battery of 15mA or so all the time. But maybe marketing says "keep it simple" .... dunno.

As above some basic bit of EQ

I didn't get to see the trolley - but I'd have thought - with a bit of clever design - it should be possible to give that trolley interchangeable wheels with large pueumatic  (mebbe 16" or 20") ones so as to convert it into a bicycle trailer.

So well done guys - it must take a good deal of work, persistance, patience to get a thing like this into commercial production without serious corporate resources.

I'd have thought if you're a audio hire company catering for a range of needs - this would have a place in your hire stock.

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>