Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New outdoor speaker - Soundboks by saturnus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2016 at 9:11pm
The amp drew over 16Apeak from the batteries which were fully charged obviously so voltage didn't dip below 13.4V during the same measurement so about 200Wpeak pumped into the speakers. Obviously pressed that hard the battery won't last 8 hours but I hope that most people will have the sense to turn it down a notch or two because distortion figures were well into the double digits but at least we know it can do much more than we advertise.

Sure, it goes to 11 but it's also worth noting that by that we mean the same thing as was meant in the Spinal Tap sketch. It's the final stage when you wanna push it over the edge and have a grand finale. You're not really meant to turn it up to 11 and keep it there, just like what was meant it the sketch. Otherwise, as the interviewer in the sketch remarks, we could just have made 10 louder.
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2016 at 9:32pm
Very cool. Thanks for the detailed info and good luck with everything!
Brummiejon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brummiejon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2016 at 9:45pm
A bit more feedback from me... After one, 3 day festival, one of the aluminium edging strips came unglued and came off.... Seemed to be glued on by a very small amount of some kind of black silicone.. I've glued it back on with Sika Selotex... It won't come off again.... Ok, these aluminium edges look smart, routed into the cab for a smooth finish... Personally, I'd prefer standard flight case construction with screws or pop rivets...
BJ
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2016 at 10:00pm
Are the edges not fixed into place by the corners? That was the impression I got from looking at the pictures. #unbreakable LOL

If they're already routered into the panels I don't see why they wouldn't be held in place by the corners.. Seems obvious.
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2016 at 11:00pm
That's the first time we've seen any of the alu edges come off without using a crow bar to force it off. Seriously. First time.

They're glued in place with a ultra strong SMP glue that remains adhesive and flexible from -50 to +165 degrees Celcius. Basically unbreakable when the correct amount is applied.

I have a smear of it on a pair of pants. The damn thing has survived 8 wash and dry cycles without even looking like it's going to go away any time soon.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brummiejon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2016 at 8:59am
Originally posted by Hemisphere Hemisphere wrote:

Are the edges not fixed into place by the corners? That was the impression I got from looking at the pictures. <span style="line-height: 1.4;">#unbreakable </span>LOL

If they're already routered into the panels I don't see why they wouldn't be held in place by the corners.. Seems obvious.

No, the edges are short of the corners and glued on. The corners are also routed in... Nice clean finish but not sure why they haven't gone down the standard flight case route?

BJ

Edited by Brummiejon - 26 August 2016 at 9:10am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brummiejon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2016 at 9:06am
Originally posted by Saturnus Saturnus wrote:

That's the first time we've seen any of the alu edges come off without using a crow bar to force it off. Seriously. First time.

They're glued in place with a ultra strong SMP glue that remains adhesive and flexible from -50 to +165 degrees Celcius. Basically unbreakable when the correct amount is applied.

I have a smear of it on a pair of pants. The damn thing has survived 8 wash and dry cycles without even looking like it's going to go away any time soon.

I'm assuming that the correct amount wasn't applied. The glue you use sounds and looks just like the type I have just applied so it's the right stuff to use... Now I have put enough on, it won't come off again...

I'm hoping that my observations are helpful and not seen as being overly critical (I should have taken a photo really)...

The soundboks, my boominator and a HD15 sub (powered by a bassface amp) are hosting a beach party on Sunday, I'll let you know how I get on....

BJ

Edited by Brummiejon - 26 August 2016 at 10:18am
monop0d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monop0d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2016 at 10:16am
Originally posted by Brummiejon Brummiejon wrote:

The soundboks, my boominator and a HD15 sub (powered by a bassface amp) are hosting a beach party on Sunday, I'll let you know how I get on....

BJ

How are you going to set it up? Sounds really cool, please lets us know how it went and perhaps a picture of the complete system Smile

Edited by monop0d - 26 August 2016 at 10:16am
SOUNDBOKS representative and dedicated to Roskilde Festival, 12V systems and aesthetics
DJ-Dulux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Dulux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2016 at 10:17am
Originally posted by Brummiejon Brummiejon wrote:

BJ
That should be a good laugh, looking forward to the review!

Dupe...
Dupe...
monop0d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monop0d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2017 at 3:49pm
Hey guys,

Just wanted to hear how you've been using your SOUNDBOKS the 9 months? I greatly appreciated all your feedback back in August, and would love to include you more in our feedback.

We're currently, among other projects, working on releasing a new add-on for the SOUNDBOKS this summer. The device will allow you to connect multiple SOUNDBOKS' (still wired though), and hook them up to DJ mixers (RCA, 6.3mm, XLR, 3.5mm), instruments and mics. Essentially its' a small battery powered active splitter and converter. I'm really looking forward to disclose more information on this, however I'll be sure to keep you posted!

We got a lot of interesting things in the pipeline for this Summer Smile
SOUNDBOKS representative and dedicated to Roskilde Festival, 12V systems and aesthetics
Ganon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ganon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2017 at 10:53am
What about the Bluetooth stereo connection the Minirig and B&O are using, wouldn't that be a cool thing to use for two wireless setup? :)

Edited by Ganon - 19 June 2017 at 10:54am
niallshuffle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niallshuffle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2017 at 1:39am
Originally posted by DavidP DavidP wrote:

Will spares be available? Was thinking about adding a few of these to hire stock.

Hi Folks,

Newbie here, but not such a n00b that I don't know where to look for the right information, it appears! This may appear a little bit of a cheeky post, I must admit ... but is anyone (Perhaps you David?) hiring these units in UK?

I am a complete fan of 'The Coffin Camp' from when I first seen and met the owners at Roskilde Festival in 2009 with their Coffin sound system, which I fell in love with. That year we came back and brought a cinema sound system with truck battery & inverter to a festival in Ireland called oxegen, where we were hailed as heroes. (poor man's 12v system - I'm sorry!)

Anyway, here's the deal - I am going to a festival in Belgium in 3 weeks time called Tomorrowland. We go every year. My friends and I (decent bunch of partying Irish Lads) are discussing buying a speaker system and we have been looking at the Soundboks. Unfortunately, whilst I completely appreciate that the cost of the unit is lower than other similar quality & sounding units, it is a good bit out of our budget, so we are looking at cheap and cheerful alternatives, which to be truthful is absolutely breaking my heart. I am, at the moment, between a KAM RZ10A and an ion Party or Block Rocker, so you can imagine my pain..

I would be very interested in hiring a Soundboks for the weekend (20th July - 24th July) and would be willing to do anything to get my hands on one, including being a promotional pimp for the weekend @Saturnus & @monop0d, video blog etc included, if you lovely people of Soundboks may see the value in it to promote and sell more units.. The speaker will not be left unattended throughout the weekend, so don't be concerned about that.

If anyone perhaps would be willing to hire me a unit for the weekend, or want to contact me with details, please don't hesitate to drop me a mail and hopefully we can take it from there..

Thanks for your time folks!

Cheers,

Niall

Edited by niallshuffle - 04 July 2017 at 1:40am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>