Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Windows 10???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windows 10???
    Posted: 21 March 2016 at 4:18pm
I know there's already a thread but it's nearly a year old. I keep  getting messages from Microsoft to upgrade but I had such  a bad experience with Win8 that I'm concerned.  Basically I bought a brand new laptop (Sony VAIO)  with 8 on it and couldn't use it. Ended up selling to a mate for 1/2 price.

I get on fine with Windows 7 but I'm a bit computer stupid.  Should I stick with what I got or upgrade?
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2016 at 4:29pm
It works pretty good but it frequently turns itself on and does things without asking. It also restarts (potentially mucking things up) without asking. For a home computer it's ok but for something like a computer running data acquisition I'd stay away.

Windows 7 is a fine OS when it's ticking along nicely. The XP emulator on 10 seems better though. No error messages when using WinISD or other old software. The main thing about windows 10 is that it's better than 8 though.
Don't test the champignon sound
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2016 at 5:21pm
I would not bother unless there is a feature of it that you really want. Upgrades always involve some element of risk. Driver problems etc are somewhat common, and more so with laptops that tend to use more proprietary components than desktops
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2016 at 7:44pm
Of course bear in mind that if you do stay on 7 you're not going to be supported with security updates or compatibility / stability ones in the future.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2016 at 9:12pm
Windows 10 does look a bit like Windows 8 but it is a better operating system.  However the user interface is different so if you've got Win7 and you're happy with it, I'd stick with it for now.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2016 at 9:30am
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Of course bear in mind that if you do stay on 7 you're not going to be supported with security updates or compatibility / stability ones in the future.

Well it's a while to go yet, 2020 is the end of extended support and it will be patched till then.

I'm still keeping an XP laptop handy for the future! You never know.
herke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2016 at 11:18am
Windows 10 seems to me to be really stable, however I have had it shut down to automatically do updates whilst using some dj software.... I think I have that option disabled now...
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2016 at 7:16pm
From my experience with well over 200 installs and cock ups:

Expecting 7 to 10 to go smoothly when a machine has, "history" is a lottery. They over looked some bits which need registry fixes (ie media centre error) and also your printer drivers will want sorting or the spooler will keep stopping. If you have recommended updates on in 7 it will start to install without your input. In short 7 is supported until 2020, you will need a new PC by then so why bother? If you have done it and it's not behaving create a 10 usb drive then format and do a fresh install, it will work without serial as there is a digital footprint kept at MS. Or if you have a license key on the side of your PC use that for a fresh install. Some later 7 installs used uefi bios, no license sticker, these will let you do a clean install with no serial. Most 7 to 10 UPGRADES need vga driver sorting with an update.
8.1 is a poxy pile of poo. It will upgrade Ok as it is the same family, but a fresh install as above is preferable.
In any upgrade if you have no start or search go into safe mode (google it) and back out and it will work
Any Outlook 2007 config will stop sending if you upgrade, do a sfc/scannow to cure this
As a final note every 10 install I have done has been massively fragmented from birth, defrag your drive (unless it's an ssd) and if you want to stop any chance of 10 doing it's dirty deed its self do a search for windows 10 wiwi (when I want it), put your email in, run the tool when it arrives in your inbox.  http://win10wiwi.com/ 

Edited by nickyburnell - 22 March 2016 at 7:18pm
It's everything, not everythink!
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2016 at 8:53pm
Supported is a strong word for 'bare minimum of security updates' but okay.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2016 at 9:19pm
That's about all the MS updates I trust these days anyway.
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2016 at 9:22pm
hey

I've upgraded ALL my windows computers to windows 10 (a big desktop PC, two normal laptops and a touchscreen laptop) and it's been great. 

I was fortunate here in that I wiped them first and installed a fresh copy of windows 7, the upgraded that to 10 so while it was an upgrade it was essentially a fresh install and wasn't just upgrading an older windows copy of windows 7 which, as Nicky says when it has some history, can have problems. 

(while I obviously don't condone pirate software in any way, ahem Wink, an advantage here is that even if you have a pirate copy of windows 7 or 8, part of the deal is that if you take the free windows 10 upgrade they're offering for the first year to get people to move, they quietly and without making a big official announcement legitimise your copy so that you'll get all the future upgrades and benefits from now on). 

You can turn off the auto update option, which obviously is advised at events, and have it wait and ask permission first, and it seems much more stable than Windows 8 to me. 

Start Menu is also back and is also FAR better, basically a combination where it is down in the bottom corner but has all the symbols from windows 8 in it, rather than their own big screen. First thing I do is delete all the system ones, and just put links to the programs and utilities I use, and makes it super easy to get around. 

Overall was well worth the move for me, has worked out great. 

k
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2016 at 11:59pm
If you want to upgrade but do a fresh install what's worked for me is:

Do the Windows 10 upgrade on top of 7/8 so that your Windows 10 install gets registered with Microsoft.  Then wipe clean and do a fresh install (use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to make a bootable USB stick).  Windows should activate without entering any product keys because your PC is already registered.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>