FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Passive crossover design

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
haymere View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haymere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2016 at 6:38am
I want to do the same thing but a much more common scenario at say 1.6khz

Can you post some links

Also where is best to get quality components in the uk
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2016 at 2:05am
There are all kinds of textbook crossover design tools on the web that will show you what component values are needed to generate your crossover. Designing a passive crossover that sounds good goes way beyond a basic crossover though, and that is because the acoustic result is the product of the output from the crossover and the speakers they are attached to which usually have a response that is far from textbook. And you may also want to consider the polar response(horizontal coverage) you want to achieve when selecting a crossover frequency, the response of low frequency drivers narrows to a beam in front of the driver at pretty low frequencies, a 15" beams above 1khz for example, a 12" at 1.2khz and that is why most PA speakers systems have relatively low crossover frequencies. If you don't care at all about off axis coverage then use whatever crossover frequency you want.. higher is better for high frequency drivers, I'm trying to make you aware of of the tradeoff you are making.
Modeller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Modeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2016 at 12:37am
Hello, I'd like to design a passive crossover for a modelling project I have underway at the moment.

I have two drivers, both with a limited acoustic range, but because of space constraints these are the only ones I can use. The bass/mid driver tails off dramatically at about 10kHz down to 13kHz and the tweeter starts at approx 2kHz to 20kHz. I'd like to have my crossover engage the tweeter at around 8-9Khz.

Is there a simple PCB design using standard components that I could build to these specs?

Any help you could give would be much appreciated.
Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345