Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Lighting Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Power supply for Miniscans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Power supply for Miniscans
    Posted: 28 April 2016 at 3:20pm
Hiya

I'm thinking of getting some Clay Paky Miniscan HPE's (the 300w ones) and was just wondering if these are safe to connect up to a typical ('domestic') 13A socket? Ideally I'd like to run 4 on a 4 gang trailing socket into a 13A plug, but don't know if this is possible. Most of the rooms that I would be using these lights in have 16A (and bigger) supplies if necessary, but that requires extra logistics and cables etc. If it makes a difference (and I think it does) each of the scanners has an on/off switch so they can be turned on one by one, rather than all at the same time.

Thanks

Rich
Gaffa tape is like the force in Star Wars - there's a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together
James Tengo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2016 at 3:36pm
They each pull roughly 4a at 230v, but more when you strike the lamp. Two on a 13a socket would be fine, three would be ok if you staggered when you strike the lamp. Four might not take out the fuse in the plug top, and would probably run fine if you are on a 32a ring main, but would you take that chance in a show situation? If you stick to two off each 13a supply then if one pair goes you still have half your rig working to get through the gig
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2016 at 3:44pm
That's great, thank you for the advice. 2 per socket is completely manageable, but sounds like investing in the proper cables to make use of the 16A and other supplies would be a better long-term solution.

I'll have a chat to the AV guys at the hotel I'm planning on using these in to discuss what power supplies exactly they have
Gaffa tape is like the force in Star Wars - there's a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2016 at 12:20am
16A cabling/hardware is pretty cheap on the whole, so isn't the end of the world if you need to buy. If its there, id make use of it Cool
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2016 at 9:45am
Great little lights. How ever due to their age now they do require taking care of and will need steppers being replaced and driver chips might start failing soon too. So if your not really up on the maintanance side of things with fixtures I personally wouldn't go old clay paky. Or any fixture of that sort of age really. Even though their optics and colours are lovely.
Power wise I would go 2 per 13a make some 16a - 2xIEC leads with 2m tails and that will do you.
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2016 at 9:55am
I'm not very good with maintenance so that is a consideration.

Power wise, I think I'm fine - the hotel I'll be taking these to also have 32A (single and 3 phase) supplies so it would just be a case of getting the correct cables (and I won't be making them myself - setting fire to the hotel is frowned upon!)

I'd only be using the scanners rarely for particular gigs where I need the brightness and scanner effect - nowadays weddings are all about the room decoration and minimalism so we just tend to use a couple of led 'mushrooms' (the things that do a mirror ball effect).  I'm a fan of scanners and 'big' shows, but for a wedding, it has been my experience that people don't want a big truss with black lights hanging from it.

Working at height regs also have an impact.

ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2016 at 6:41pm
Warning, the power factor on these things is horrific.  They may only draw 4A based on their power consumption but in reality the current can be much worse.  I once managed to weld a 32A ceeform into a distro which I'm blaming on the miniscans I was running off it! (On paper the current draw was well within ratings)

So definitely no more than 2 per 13A socket.  You might manage three but only if you were using decent cabling and not domestic extensions leads.  I wouldn't worry about the fuse, 13A fuses are very hard to blow but I'd want at least 1.5mmsq cable.

djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2016 at 7:19pm
The more I listen, the more I think these are not for me!

Maybe some led moving heads are the way forward - they draw so little you can link loads together (I only want 4). I've heard some good things about the chauvet intimidation range.

I also saw a pair of Martin (or Rush, as they seem to call themselves) Multibeam 2 that looked interesting
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2016 at 12:02am
There are some very good, inexpensive LED moving heads out there now.  Chauvet, Acme iSolution, American DJ and the rest.  If you're worried about power then they're a no-brainer.

As has been said, the Miniscans have their good points but they're getting on a bit, are heavy and power hungry.
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 9:02pm
I know this is an old thread, but thought I'd use this one rather than starting another.  Just a quick question...

I've got some Chauvet Scan 305's with the 60w LED.  How much brighter would some miniscan HPE's be "in real life"?!  I appreciate that it would be a different colour temperature.  Are the 300w Miniscans stupid bright?  I tried to do a calculation of lux based on published specs by both companies and there doesn't seem to be much in it (9000 vs 10,000), but I appreciate that specs are only part of the story.  There's some miniscans that I've seen and I can sort out power for the rooms I would use them in, if they are significantly brighter than my Chauvets
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 9:50pm
miniscans are fairly bright, back in the days where i used to use them, i frequently mixed them with mac500's and 600's and the HPE's easily kept up. Many budget LED's struggle in the orange / red colour region, something the scans will not.

harking back to the current draw questions in the old thread, back when we used to stock these, i made up a load of power factor correcting units ( merely a 33µF PF capacitor across the L-N) that we used to plug the miniscans into, with a rig of 16 or 24 minis, this made a MAJOR difference to our power usage! I never understood why i never saw anyone else doing this as it was so simple and cheap.
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 10:05pm
I'm surprised the miniscan doesn't have built in PFC but glancing at the datasheet shows its power consumption as '900VA' which tells me it really doesn't!
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>