Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Peavey CS4080HZ Blown

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Panda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Peavey CS4080HZ Blown
    Posted: 17 May 2016 at 11:09am
I have an opportunity to buy a CS4080HZ for almost nothing. The amplifier powers up but has no audio output. Apparently some clown wired the speaker cables into a dead short.
Could this be a viable to repair or would it be a complete write off? I have no idea if Peavey use specially matched power transistors like crown. If not I could probably get some from our local electronics wholesaler for cheap.

Edited by Panda - 17 May 2016 at 11:18am
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 11:30am
I wouldn't buy that amp if it was working.

Does'nt perform to spec on sub notes, and often overheats, in 4 ohm stereo.

Very desirable.😕
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 1:40pm
Yes, not the best amp in the world, but it does depend on what you`re going to do with it - 2 ohm bass, no, no way. One guy I know uses one to power 4 x EV ZX5-90`s and it`s fine with that. If it`s really cheap - and does power up it may be worth trying to fix. I don`t think that there`s anything special like matched devices in there.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
DjLeco View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DjLeco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 4:05pm
If this could help:

Edited by DjLeco - 17 May 2016 at 4:06pm
I'm A Stupid SMART Romanian...
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 5:41pm
If the amp is cheaper than the scrap weight plus your fuel to the scrap yard then you can't lose. Otherwise avoid unless you have a fetish for surface mount
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Panda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Panda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 6:41pm
Gentlemen, thanks for your your advice. I think I'll pass on this one. I would rather wait a little longer for a Matrix or SAE PCM.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 7:26pm
There are fake 4080's around. Inside is the usual crest/qsc copy. They might actually be better, not for me to say

Edited by kedwardsleisure - 17 May 2016 at 7:27pm
Kevin

North Staffordshire

simonp1100 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonp1100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 8:53pm
Repaired one of these and a pigs ear to do, loads of surface mounts and the 4 transistor driver chip was a bugger. NEVER AGAIN
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 9:11pm
I've just done the crest version with a blowup, that quad transistor had blown too.
More worringly for me are those emitter resistors that sit under the heatsinks and nothing but the proper ones would fit I'm sure

Quote NEVER AGAIN

funnily enough I said that about the last one, and the one before. This time I mean it!!

Edited by kedwardsleisure - 17 May 2016 at 9:12pm
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Pinyorouk View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinyorouk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2021 at 8:47pm
Hello Kedwardsleisure and  SimonP. I have the unfortunate task of repairing one of these amps. Did any of you have to replace the now obsolete rail switching IGBT by any chance? I have 1 short circuit and looking for an equivalent. Will replace as a pair amongst other parts. 

Thanks,

Mike

Edited by Pinyorouk - 02 December 2021 at 8:48pm
Pinyorouk View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinyorouk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2021 at 10:51pm
I have since found them on Ebay. Just need to try and see if they are genuine. 
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2021 at 11:13pm
I can't even remember doing the last one, but if it's a toss up between a possible fake or reject ebay transistor and cross referencing to a genuine 'equivalent' I would choose the latter each time.
The problem with dodgy rail switching devices is that they might fail mid-gig and you wouldn't know until the output section has cooked itself to death.
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>