Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Building my own Sonic R-218

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikehende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Building my own Sonic R-218
    Posted: 09 June 2016 at 8:38pm
Ok guys, I spoke with a construction friend of mine who if time permits will help me build this cab. First I would like to ask some questions please. http://www.sonicspeaker.com/r218sub.htm

Since I won't be breaking apart my existing factory made cab and since there aren't any plans anywhere for this cab, what's the best way to know which woofer will best do this cab justice? I currently have eminence kilomax pros in mine but wish to upgrade to either B&C or RCF.

When I asked a local speaker builder he said that he would need the "internal specs" of the cab to advise me on the best woofer for it but since there's no way for me to get those specs, what can I do here please?
SonicXtasy View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SonicXtasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2016 at 9:52pm
The specs are on Sonic's website.

• front mounted bass reflex design, 16.4 cubic feet
  • 32 hz tuning
The member formally known as vwbidder.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SonicXtasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2016 at 10:01pm
Honestly that is a large cabinet and most of the newer 18's work best in cabinets smaller than that. If you plan on building another matching cabinet then I would just load them with another set of Kilomax's and call it done.

If you want to change drivers then decide what kind of sound you want, deep, punchy, etc, and then search out a design and recommended driver for that design that will do what you want.
mikehende View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikehende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2016 at 10:21pm
I want the same bass tone of the sonic just more power [punch]. Can you guys help me find a woofer for this please? I am thinking b&c tbx 100 or RCF LP300 if it will be better for this cab than the kilomax?

Edited by mikehende - 09 June 2016 at 10:21pm
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2016 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by mikehende mikehende wrote:

I want the same bass tone of the sonic just more power [punch]. Can you guys help me find a woofer for this please? I am thinking b&c tbx 100 or RCF LP300 if it will be better for this cab than the kilomax?

Why don't you try and learn from the advice people are giving you here in the other threads? You're doing it backwards. The cabinet is designed, built and optimized to match the intended driver and achieve target response/sound, not the other way around. At least it's a lot easier that way. Why do you insist on banging your head against the wall?   Ouch

mikehende View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikehende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2016 at 10:39pm
Not understanding? I think I am following the advice here, getting the correct woofer for this cab?
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2016 at 10:47pm
Sorry for being blunt......

Originally posted by SonicXtasy SonicXtasy wrote:

Honestly that is a large cabinet and most of the newer 18's work best in cabinets smaller than that.

If you plan on building another matching cabinet then I would just load them with another set of Kilomax's and call it done.

If you want to change drivers then decide what kind of sound you want, deep, punchy, etc, and then search out a design and recommended driver for that design that will do what you want.
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2016 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by bob4 bob4 wrote:

Sorry for being blunt......

Honestly that is a large cabinet and most of the newer 18's work best in cabinets smaller than that.

If you plan on building another matching cabinet then I would just load them with another set of Kilomax's and call it done.

Exactly this.
mikehende View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikehende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2016 at 10:53pm
I got that but there's no way I will know for sure which other design will give me the same tone of this cab! So I might as well stick with this cab and get the correct driver for it. One person here has already told me that the kilomax is NOT the correct woofer for this cab and that is the purpose of this thread, to find the best driver for it.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SonicXtasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2016 at 12:05am
The tone you are getting is a combination of the driver AND the cab. Throwing a different driver in there may not give you the same tone. In fact, if the Kilomax is not a good driver for that cabinet and you find a driver that works better in that cab then the tone will be different, hopefully better, but different.

That is a large box, low tuned box and even the "correct" driver is not going to give you the punch you want. I suggest you keep it as you have it and add a kick bin and DSP processing. Let the Sonic run from 60 or 70hz and down and have the kick bin do the punchy stiff from 60 or 70 to 200ish.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2016 at 12:06am
If you change the driver you will change the tone.
mikehende View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikehende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2016 at 12:22am
Oh I see, thanks. Problem with this guys is so many different "opinions" I don't know which way to turn. I was believing that tone was due mainly to that specific cab design and not so much woofer related. I love the tone of this cab and could use more power.

I had created another thread on "kick bin" to try to get the same punchy tone at a higher frequency than the sonic and was led to mainly a scoop type design but since there are many variations of scoops it's extremely difficult to know exactly which one will do the job.

In my case I can't use a folded horn design for a kick bin because I don't need the bass to travel more than 25' and I had both Martins 215 MKIII and CV L36 but only my neighbors heard the bass really.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>