Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X10, X12, X15 and XM15
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

beyma cd10fe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: beyma cd10fe
    Posted: 18 June 2016 at 10:16am

Hi Guys

I am undertaking a small project and want to know if the beyma cd10fe will actually cross over at 1.2k as its state. Anyone had any experience with this driver?

Rish
krazyneil View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazyneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2016 at 10:54am
ive never crossed one over that low ,i think i did mine at 1.6/1.8 they might work that low but i dont know how that would effect the quality, if you have to cross that low on 1" driver then id look at bms 4550 not that much more meoney but deffinatly able to cross that low
GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!!!
rish View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2016 at 11:06am
Thanks Krazyneil, unfortunately bms not available where I am.
Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2016 at 12:59pm
Many compression drivers that state a low minimum crossover frequency (1000-1200Hz is low for 1") will manage it, but usually with the maximum power handling having to be reduced 20-30%.

Although they will do it, its not necessarily a good idea, most 1" comp drivers tend to honk and have high distortion at lower frequencies. I generally try to keep 1" crossover points above 2.2kHz

Keep the comp driver well within it's maximum operating range and it will last longer and sound smoother.

Your car can probably do 6-7,000 revs - doesn't mean its a good idea to driver around in 1st gear at 6,000 revs all the time, and it wont sound very nice...

just a guy with a warehouse and a few speakers... www.bluearan.co.uk
rish View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2016 at 2:43pm
Thanks Andy. I guess I will need to look at the beyma cd14fe then.

This the the 12inch driver that's going below. Not sure if it will play well up to 2.2k.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ak7f74p3v762c9l/CELTO_12MB420_EDS_2014-04.pdf?dl=0

Edited by rish - 18 June 2016 at 2:52pm
Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2016 at 5:31pm
This is one of the most common 'issues' with speaker design, finding a pair of components that work together to give the optimum sound, and more often that not there is a slightly compromise somewhere.

People often try crossover frequencies between 1.6k and 2.5k and test until they get the sound they are happy with. 

Depending on the 12" driver, you may find the response starts to drop off a little around 2k, if its a gentle roll off I wouldnt worry about it too much. To me a slight dip around 2k is preferable to honk and distortion. 

The CD10Fe is a nice compression driver, when I have used it I have preferred it crossed over around 2.5k, you can go lower but you may find it harsh on female vocals. 

The CD1014Fe is competitively priced for what it is, but it is just a CD10Fe with a wider exit. The diaphragm and voice coil are exactly the same as the CD10Fe so you are unlikely to get much different performance with that compared with the CD10Fe. 

If you like Beyma the CP755Ti is a really nice sounding compression driver, but the price reflects that, so may be out of your budget.

With a little bit of fine tuning, I'm sure you can get very acceptable results with 12" and 1". If you have an adjustable active crossover, try varying the frequency between around 1.6k and 2.2k until you get a sound you are happy with, and then go with that, wont be perfect, but like I said, you almost always have to have some compromise.

Edited by Andy Kos - 18 June 2016 at 9:49pm
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2016 at 7:20pm
I tried crossing the CD1014Fe at 1.2kHz on a unity horn and it had quite bad break up at moderate power levels. It's a budget driver - you get what you pay for. Faital Pro HF146 is much better but suits a conical rather than exponential horn.
Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2016 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

I tried crossing the CD1014Fe at 1.2kHz on a unity horn and it had quite bad break up at moderate power levels. It's a budget driver - you get what you pay for. Faital Pro HF146 is much better but suits a conical rather than exponential horn.

Agreed, HF146 is much nicer, but then you are in the price bracket of quite a number of 1.4" compression drivers and have a fair choice if you are willing to spend that.
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2016 at 8:07am
Very nice driver for the money at 1k6. Brilliant replacement in the cheap JBL JRX stuff. Tried at 1k4 on some 2x15's and you could hear the beginnings of trouble. 1k6 sweet.
 Some of those BMS need some serious EQ to get nice IIRC. Had some off the late Tony and moaned, he sent LMS settings and all was good, can't remember model. So maybe not good for passive cabs all the time?
It's everything, not everythink!
stevie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2016 at 9:45pm
I have to wonder how a driver can be brilliant crossed over at 1k6 and not good at 1k4, as the difference is so tiny as to be negligible. What matters more, I think, is the crossover slope. If Beyma says that the driver can cross over at 1.2kHz I'd be inclined to believe them, although I've not tried it personally. It certainly looks good for the money. The distortion curves and waterfall plots will reveal all, however.

I *have* tried the Celestion CDX-1731 compression driver which Celestion recommend crossing over at 2.2kHz, and that is fine crossed over at 1.2K with a steep x-over.

Edited by stevie - 30 June 2016 at 9:46pm
Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2016 at 11:14pm
It depends on the compression driver, and personal preference. I have tried the same compression driver, and just 200-300 hz shift in x-over point makes quite a big difference. It will depend on your program material, I find the issues with low x-over points most noticeable in powerful female vocals - if you are just playing dance music, there often isnt a great deal of program material in that range of any consequence, so you probably wouldnt notice.

But in terms of what's significant, I would say a frequency shift of 5-10% can be audible and significant.  A shift of 1% is not really significant. All components, horn and cabinets can have resonant frequencies, hot spots and variations in distortion levels, crossing over before you reach any nasty bits can make a big difference. The closer you get to the nasty bit, the more of it you hear.

In an ideal world components wouldnt have nasty bits, but sadly they do.

Some people like the harshness from the bottom end of the range of a compression driver, some dont.

Edited by Andy Kos - 02 July 2016 at 1:34am
jerronimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerronimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2017 at 3:19pm
Sorry to bump a old topic, 

Because of a faulty amp I blew my BMS 4544 drivers, and needed a very quick replacement...
The Bms drivers are not readily available to me, and the cd10fe were on stock and very reasonably priced.
Must say, I was pleasantly surprised by the sound quality!

They don't suffer from the nasty 3K peak that the BMS drivers have, and needed very little EQ to sound nice. 
Top ''budget'' drivers for the money!
The BMS drivers will get a recone but the beyma drivers stay where they are! 

Edited by jerronimo - 05 January 2017 at 3:28pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>