Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Celestion Axi2050

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PolymorphicMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Celestion Axi2050
    Posted: 20 June 2016 at 9:57am

Is this new driver from Celestion a completely new concept or is it just big word marketing?

http://celestion.com/productpdf.php?id=174

The bit that interests is the statement that it requires no crossover.

Frequency response looks good for a mid range drive, looks like it can get down to the 400hz-500Hz mark quite easily.

Whats peoples initial views on this driver? Has anyone herd one yet?

Mark

Free to do what i WANT
Wikl109 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wikl109 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2016 at 12:22pm
It does look interesting. However, sensitivity 140db?
With weight at 7kg it's a heavy thing too.
I'm also not totally sure the 'No crossover required' part might not be just referring to 'in the vocal range' that the driver covers.
Cheers, Chris.
Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2016 at 1:12pm
Ignore the plane wave tube sensitivity and look at the graph for an exponential horn, that will give you more realistic information.
just a guy with a warehouse and a few speakers... www.bluearan.co.uk
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2016 at 3:16pm
It's HUGE. But it looked really impressive from the initial info they had at Messe - the phase plug is a work of art. And the price is well, very surprising.

The issue is that you'll need some serious monster LF section to keep up…

Edited by toastyghost - 20 June 2016 at 3:17pm
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2016 at 3:25pm
Huge alright. I haven't seen a compression driver that big since the phenolic Gauss 4080 of the late 70's.

Be seeing you.
Wikl109 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wikl109 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2016 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by Andy Kos Andy Kos wrote:

Ignore the plane wave tube sensitivity and look at the graph for an exponential horn, that will give you more realistic information.

I noticed that. I still find it slightly 'creative' shall we say that they use the 140db figure for the spec sheet.
I'd say that part is certainly a case of trying to make the driver look as impressive as possible on paper.
Cheers, Chris.
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2016 at 2:33am
" sensitivity 140db?"

A little on the low side for a terminated tube measurement.
djk
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2016 at 11:35pm
If it wasn't so huge it'd work well in a small Unity style 2 way with 2 x 10" low section? 

.p.
Mostly harmless.... except if catering is shut.

Solar Sound System Shennanigans..http://diyhifi.biz/
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2016 at 10:33am
Struggling to see its value, unless it is priced a lot less than the B&C DCX50, DCM50, or BMS 459x.

My interpretation of the spec sheet has it as a rival to the B&C DCM50, as it looks to do 300Hz-5KHz, @108dB +-3 for 1W/1m, on a 90x40 horn. 300Hz-8KHz to -10db down. Will a single 5"VC/6" donut diaphragm take EQ shelf, 8KHz and up, to flatten off HF roll off, without causing distortion or break-up modes?

I assume that the 5" voice coil, drives a 2" wide strip of donut, so outer diameter of piston would be 6" ish, inner diameter around 4". Construction of back can sort of indicates that sort of size, perhaps thinner strip.

150W RMS implies it will take some juice up it, but still only implies, from my 108dB read of the graph, 130dB max SPL ("Calc") before it hits 150W RMS limit. Take off 3dB for heat.....Maybe less with a 5" voice coil, and that huge mass of metal? I would have thought that some form of finned back can would be "on trend" as much as useful.....

It looks to be a 5"/6" titanium donut, with built in phase plug. Mewh. IF it is very low distortion, may sound pleasing, but with no plot of distortion offered, and the over hyped 140dB number, alarm bells are ringing.

Ultimately it is a large mid driver, that should generate 130dB on a 90x40 Horn.

Edited by MattStolton - 22 June 2016 at 10:34am
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2016 at 10:43am
It's priced at half that of the BMS coaxials. Still ringing?
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2016 at 11:04am
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

It's priced at half that of the BMS coaxials. Still ringing?
Originally posted by mattstolton mattstolton wrote:

.....unless it is priced a lot less than the B&C DCX50, DCM50, or BMS 459x.....

In that case, carry on, and hope it sound good!
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
 Post Reply Post Reply