Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Powersoft X4 real power

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 24>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Simeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2016 at 3:53pm
I have said it before: I would never use Powersoft on Bass. I do think it is quite an ingenious efficiency device, weight/practicality & presumed power. 

It's real quality is it's 'effect' of power, but specifically on bass as we have understood, it is not capable of genuinely holding the note(s). If you know what it is doing it's quite clear in it's tonal effect.

For me, I hear a bass guitar, or a bass tone with warmth on a production and it is a quality of the music. I am un impressed with the musical replication of bass with these amps, only a few sounds I've heard have worked on this, but generally it cannot provide musical replication of quality, just a compressed sound around 40hz where you can hear in musical terms, a struggle with tone. 

These are my reasons for not wanting to use them, specifically for the music I play. I said before that most bass sounds the same with them, analogue, sine wave, warm tone…. all lost and sounding more of the same compression struggle of the amp push pulling in milliseconds.

But… if plenty people are convinced that it is doing more, then why worry? 

Just my personal view on this.   
https://www.facebook.com/KingSimeonSound?ref=stream     
https://soundcloud.com/king-simeon
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2016 at 4:16pm
what amps do you find reproduce the tone you want ? out of curiosity.
THECANDLEMAN View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THECANDLEMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2016 at 6:07pm
Have you heard pro boxes with presets provided for dsp version of powersoft amps??

Motion Systems - Void Airmotion, Airten & Stasys 218 With Powersoft DSP
King Simeon View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Simeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2016 at 7:11pm
No, I haven't heard 'pro' boxes with applied settings, but I can only talk about bass sections on Roots/Dub Sounds. I did try to stress that I was talking for myself and around this style of music. 

I think the 'traditional' and known older amps and the odd new ones have been mentioned as tried and tested to give more sustained tone on this forum. I haven't used may of them, but heard a few. The weight of most of them is the main negative. 
jammin75 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jammin75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2016 at 7:19pm
Thumbs Up  wasnt that impressed on k10 tone at a dance now the old c audio sr at same dance  now that was talkin !!!  Big smile
feel the vibes !!!   "Who Feels it Knows it"            Strong like Lion              
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2016 at 7:55pm
So we are basically coming back to the everlasting argue about the distortion provided by the older amps that people mix up with good sound. :-)
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Hvedstrup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hvedstrup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2016 at 8:10pm
Yep, people should google "missing fundamental".
jammin75 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jammin75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2016 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

So we are basically coming back to the everlasting argue about the distortion provided by the older amps that people mix up with good sound. :-)

there is no mix up  a lot of people dont understand roots and culture theres the problem Wink
feel the vibes !!!   "Who Feels it Knows it"            Strong like Lion              
King Simeon View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Simeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2016 at 9:53pm
What you're taking about is generalising and risking diminishing engagement with the subject… But 

Agreed; distortion is within the subject, but yet again, I did say from the very start that I am talking from my perspective and it's origins within sound/culture. 

Aesthetics is pretty key to understanding appreciation of sound, distortion is a part of this, as well as being something that can be a negative/unpleasant factor. The music made/recorded through the 60's/70's is often recognised as far more impressive (aesthetics) than that of the digital era, perhaps more papers should be written on how poor all those productions are and put the record straight. We shouldn't go too much off subject.

It really is each to their own, and the better for it.

Edited by King Simeon - 02 July 2016 at 9:57pm
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2016 at 11:33pm
All SMPS amps suffers from the fact that the PSU dont hold much reserve (its how it is made, no solution for this problem yet). It simply can not supply enough power fast enough to the amp. Especially the amps with PFC that along with the good things it does, it also limits the amount of juice it can deliver to the amp in a given time. So no argue here that the linear psu amps do better on sub duty. Now question is, who is still willing to haul heavy amps? It all became a compromise between the sound and the comfort we are getting used to.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2016 at 12:06am
Originally posted by Andy Kos Andy Kos wrote:

Reality is, it's becoming very hard to know what power you are actually running at.

Not really, just use an old C Audio, they do what they say on the tin and more.Big smile
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2016 at 12:11am
Originally posted by jammin75 jammin75 wrote:

Thumbs Up  wasnt that impressed on k10 tone at a dance now the old c audio sr at same dance  now that was talkin !!!  Big smile

Haha, that's mad, I just posted the same thing whilst reading the last page. ^^

Edited by njw - 03 July 2016 at 12:12am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 24>