Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Advice on RCF L18P300 for subs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outkast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice on RCF L18P300 for subs
    Posted: 29 July 2016 at 8:13pm
I have four reflex sub boxes, about 190 litres net volume, German made (HK Audio). I have finally got the funds to buy drivers for them and seek a bit of advice. All my research keeps pointing to me to the RCF L18P300 - they sim well and the price is right. The only thing is, many comment that this is an old design, a bit outdated. 

They will be used for all types of music, but we do play quite a bit of reggae and dub, and love that deep warm sound you get from the old Fanes. We are not looking for mega SPL, just plenty of 'presence'. Would the RCFs give us what we are looking for?
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2016 at 10:50pm
Probably yes.  The L18P300 has been around for a long while because it works.  Old design but built with modern components.
outkast View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outkast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2016 at 12:08am
Originally posted by ceharden ceharden wrote:

The L18P300 has been around for a long while because it works.

That makes sense to me, thanks.

I suppose what I'm really asking, and maybe impossible to answer, is what these RCFs sound like in this type of box. I have no way of trying one out, and just buying one is uneconomical because of delivery charges.

I go to a lot of reggae nights, and most of the sounds use PDs in scoops, which I find way too harsh and have often had to leave to protect my hearing. There is one sound though that uses 8 x Fane 400w boxes and it is lovely. That is what I'm aiming for.
 Post Reply Post Reply