Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Show Off Your Sound System
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

-=SHOW OFF YOUR SOUND SYSTEM!!!!=-PART 3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8788899091 95>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2021 at 8:11am
 Clap Nice job Andy, i do like home hifi made from random spares of pro units. Did a similar thing a few years back, stereo pair of old Altec 921  15" (is actually a 16-inch driver) and a single jbl bullet above, passive crossover, no cabinet at all, just a baffle as you have done. Stood them 2 feet back from the room corners.

On jazz and soul records the sound was clear and natural.
Be seeing you.
AndyWave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyWave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2021 at 2:26pm
Thank You JBL.

I've gone for pro audio drivers for my home stereo few times before, connected to small wattage amps.

But these monstrosities are my first open baffle solutions. As I wanted bass below 40's to be present at least some level, there is not much else to do but use lots of cone surface area. Distance from rear wall needs to be around 80cm with some toe in to get the bass alive.

High Qts open baffle specific drivers exist, but with Qts around 0,7-1,0 they sound bit flabby, boomy and unprecise to my ears...

I think there is easily something missing in music with high loss HiFi drivers, the more acoustic the original presentation is, the more it suffers. (Dynaudio, ATC, PMC or other that level stuff is excluded)

Cheers, Andy

torturing electrons since ......
Contour View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Contour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2021 at 6:53pm
For best bass and 3D imaging place open baffle’s 1/3 to 40% from the rearwall, and very close to the sidewalls, this way the speakers really will disappear and a huge stage will fill your room. 
AndyWave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyWave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2021 at 10:10pm
Thank You for the tip.

Unfortunately that would mean to re-arranging all my furniture, and would make the room somewhat unusable as living room.LOL

As my living room is on the small side, quite subtle movements of 'speaker position make a difference, mostly in the bass end. Other hand the speakers have so much cone area, that they dominate the room to a some extent, in low midrange definitely.

Overall I'm satisfied about the sound, in no means its perfect, but different instruments sound about right, I can hear what each musician is doing etc.

Bad records sound bad and good ones sound better. Also it doesn't matter if theres some Brazilian bossa nova or Techno classics from 90's playing.

When I was voicing the speakers (crossovers), I many times put a random CD or radio playing and go to the kitchen cookin' some, that way I hear only the power response from living room through the doorway. Quite revealing...

I believe that my contraption as is would sound quite horrible in a glass walled, stone floored reverberation hell, as my living room is quite dead sounding already.

-Andy
torturing electrons since ......
djkeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djkeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2021 at 9:18pm
Nice set up have you had chance to do an A/B comparison with your custom subs V Silver/Golden Paraflex Subs or do think there's no need? @ HMAUDIO

Edited by djkeet - 05 September 2021 at 9:23pm
Soundbite
al_x View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al_x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2021 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by djkeet djkeet wrote:

Nice set up have you had chance to do an A/B comparison with your custom subs V Silver/Golden Paraflex Subs or do think there's no need? @ HMAUDIO

Which system are you referring to?
paulus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2021 at 10:24am
rff

Edited by paulus - 06 October 2021 at 10:25am
TRENDSETTER SOUND SYSTEM
fat_brstd View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fat_brstd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2021 at 11:31pm
Some pics from the party we did a couple of weeks ago, 4 rigs over 2 rooms, our first proper show after the worlds longest lockdown here in Melbourne.

L-R Adrians Wall, Housewife's Choice & Solidarity Sound Systems

And in room 2 we had a third of the SubTemple Sound System rig

Also bonus outdoor rave from Saturday just gone with Sub Yard Sound System and their brand new 18TBX100 drivers getting broken in with a lot of D&B and sounding very nice compared to the old ones they replaced.

Adrians Wall Sound System
Melbournes Rootical Warrior
Roots - Dub - Steppers

facebook page
Norseman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norseman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2022 at 5:45am

sarsen1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarsen1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2022 at 9:11am
 Very nice looking set up, been wanting to hear those paraflex tops over some scoops ClapClap
luton_soundman View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luton_soundman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2022 at 10:29am
Looking good Clap
Sound Hire/Sales new/used equipment.
jammin75 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jammin75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2022 at 1:15pm
Thumbs Up
feel the vibes !!!   "Who Feels it Knows it"            Strong like Lion              
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8788899091 95>