Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lasers!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuclearbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2016 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by jacethebase jacethebase wrote:

Pangolin with an fb3

Unless you want them all to do the same you'd need more than 1 interface?
one life - have fun!
Force fusion pro audio
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2016 at 5:23pm
Correct, because lasers run on analogue rather than digital.
I built a stage box for mine that holds 4x FB3 with 8 separate ILDA outputs and runs over cat5, and handles all of the estops too.
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2017 at 10:45am
How about ilda interfaces? Which one to choose? Can they all operate with all free software? Which software is the best? Basicly im looking for budget ilda + dmx interface. And if I use one intetface dmx + ilda than will I have to stick to one software operating both or can I have separate programs for that?
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2017 at 1:07pm
Interfaces are often tied to software (Pangolin for example, and their FB3 and FB4 and QM boards)

Some interfaces support a common driver that software such as LSX (and a few other branches of the same root code) can utilise.

Also, define 'budget'.
And also, what is the 'free' software of which you speak?
Any software/ILDA interface combo worth its salt for proper gigging is going to be a few hundred quid minimum, and all the way up to a few thousand for the high end stuff.

I'm not aware of a combined DMX and ILDA interface. A lot of people using ILDA software use the Enttec Pro DMX device as its supported by a lot of laser control software.

Personally, unless its a wholly synchronised pre-programmed show, most DMX implementation is clunky for lighting (passable for fog/haze and basic additions like effects wheels for lumia and suchlike)
Use a dedicated lighting desk/controller and use timecode if needed.

If you want to know more about lasers, visit photonlexicon.com/forum
It's basically speakerplans for lasers
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2017 at 7:34pm
Im gathering info so budget is open. Rather few hundreds than few k.
Thanks for the link.

Hmm. How much "power" do I have to have in lasers so it will dominate scene of 1500w halogens?

Edit
A lot of info there about electronic circuts and laser constructions, not much about ilda:(

Edited by gen0me - 04 April 2017 at 4:07pm
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2017 at 5:13pm
There's loads about ILDA on PL
There are even threads comparing all of the software/hardware options compiled within the last 12 months I think. You're just going to have to search a bit for it.

If its anything to do with lasers, there's been a thread on PL about, often multiple times.

What specifically about 'ILDA' do you want to know?

ILDA is just an organisation (International Laser Display Association) that did some standards stuff years ago to provide the common connection for laser projectors, as well as file formats for frames (and other stuff...)

Elaborate more the halogens scene - audience facing? Used like blinders periodically, or on all the time?

Lasers can be easy to overpower, LED screens or anything high brightness behind them will ruin the contrast to black that makes lasers stand out. You're probably talking 8W+ though at an estimate, without any further info.

Bear in mind that lasers keep going a lot further than conventional lighting, so although against the stage they'll disappear, they'll be very visible further back.
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2017 at 9:03pm
1500W in moving heads(15dec dispersion) only. I will eliminate all the constant lighting.

Exactly this about ilda: file formmats, conversion to frames, animations, synchronization and so on. Basicly how does it work.

Edited by gen0me - 04 April 2017 at 9:06pm
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2017 at 12:48pm
A lot of that stuff is software manufacturer specific.

So whilst most software supports import of ILD files, they often use their own proprietary formats for frames, animations, etc.
Some will allow export to ILD format, but many don't, as a way of protecting content that may be subject to copyright.

Likewise, most software will come with some sort of frame editor, some have much greater functionality for abstract/lissajou style frames, very well featured 3D editors (and plugins for mainstream £d apps like 3DMax)

Some support 'busking' type shows very well (when used with an interface), others are more about pre-programmed timeline shows - some do both.

Likewise, synchronization is not really ILDA specific, you'd use timecode, or integrate DMX cues into a timeline, or midi triggers to external things.
A lot of it is working out what you want to do, and how you can join up the stuff.

Pangolin now has 'head' personalities for common lighting consoles, so you can present either Beyond (the software) as a DMX device, or the FB4 ILDA controller itself. But you're into the pro end of things there, and will pay accordingly for the functionality.

In short, all the manufacturers take a different approach to laser control and content, so you'll need to look at the various offering in a bit of detail to see what they do.
Ray-j-17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray-j-17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2017 at 11:31pm
I don't know if this interests anyone but I'm going to please tomorrow, ill ask there if they have any ideas. :-)
If music be the food of love, I mustn't have the right volume.
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2017 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by norty303 norty303 wrote:

Some will allow export to ILD format, but many don't, as a way of protecting content that may be subject to copyright.

Likewise, most software will come with some sort of frame editor, some have much greater functionality for abstract/lissajou style frames, very well featured 3D editors (and plugins for mainstream £d apps like 3d Max

Yes thats what im looking for! Any support of blender or maya?
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2017 at 2:04pm
Pangolin Beyond 3D supports FBX and SVG import, which I believe Blender supports, but you're into ~$2k for the version that has 3D in.

Try searching blender on PL, there's a Blender to SVG converter available, and there may be other cheaper software options that support import of it. It's a bit out of my sphere of knowledge.

You could always start a thread, there are definitely people with animation knowledge who are doing/have done similar things, and often on a limited budget
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2019 at 12:03pm
hey

Always fun to drag up an old thread! LOL

I'm looking at possibly getting a couple of lasers from Goldenstar, and just wanted to ask a quick question about control. 

At least initially, i wouldn't need live control of the lasers. They'd be running a few preset "scenes" for want of a better term along with a lighting package. I note that many have memory card slots in them that you can save designs onto, and often have DMX on them as well. 

Of course the obvious answer would be to read the manual, and I've emailed the company to try and get a copy. But in the mean time, do these types of lasers generally allow you to save a few pre-made scenes on the memory card, and then trigger these at the right time with DMX?  

While I would invest in Pangolin or other proper control systems down the line, initially it would make the investment a little easier if I could work this way to begin for some pre-programmed shows, and then worry about that later. 

K
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>