Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Lighting Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GS3 to led

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 14>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve20131 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2018 at 9:17am
Hi when I get a chance I'll go through it and check around. I remember a guy converted some mini scans years ago very well. He used a home cnc to make a made to measure heatsink. Think it was just 100w chip..
Steve20131 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve20131 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2018 at 9:19am
For the scans I've also ordered another 500w chip but in warm white. I want to see any difference. (4000k). The lumens is still plenty
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2018 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by Steve20131 Steve20131 wrote:

Hi when I get a chance I'll go through it and check around. I remember a guy converted some mini scans years ago very well. He used a home cnc to make a made to measure heatsink. Think it was just 100w chip..

I know who you are talking about, Ive jumped on his post over on the BlueRoom Wink feeling a bit more comfortable about this now, though still WAY too many projects that im not making progress on!
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2018 at 10:48pm
This thread is amazing, you are doing a sterling job there and making me really regret selling my Stage Scans all those years ago, full cmy with an LED chip would be really interesting to see. I do remember talking to someone that had a mate with a shipping container full of old Claypaky scans... I think it was out in Spain or Portugal though.

Actually, maybe I could do this to my Trackspots...... need to work out how to make the dimmer work as its electronic on them...
blah blah blah blah blah......
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2018 at 10:51pm
Also, be interesting to know how much these things now weigh, never fun wrangling one at the top of a set of Zargees.
James Tengo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2018 at 2:19am
Spigot and frotty or gtfo
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2018 at 4:04am
Originally posted by James Tengo James Tengo wrote:

Spigot and frotty or gtfo

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2018 at 12:33pm
Ha, I'd put those memories into a dark place along with single hand dragging one up a set of zargees on to the roof of Pontins for some Smirnoff branding at Southport Soul as the rain smashed down. Got to be lighter than that with an LED in them. Gosh I miss scanners, nothing beats the red and blue dichro gobos and there's never been a flat line or tunnel like the GS ones....
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2018 at 6:50pm
Steve, can you recommend an adhesive to stick LEDs to a heatsink? Something with a bit more solidity than just thermal compound?

Cheers.
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2018 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by monkeypuzzle monkeypuzzle wrote:

Steve, can you recommend an adhesive to stick LEDs to a heatsink? Something with a bit more solidity than just thermal compound?

Cheers.

Screws.... tapped.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2018 at 1:57pm
No screw mounts on the LEDs. I've been set an interesting challenge of pulling apart some DB4 Mk1's and converting to individual cells. Pretty sure I can get it to work, just unsure if it'll need forced cooling for the heatsink and how far I can extend the drive current out of the block to the external cells. Cutting the heatsink to four tonight, I'll be pulling the dies off the drive board when I find my solder mop, just need a sturdy solid setting transfer compound.

Sorry for the hijack, will start a thread if this goes anywhere.

Edited by monkeypuzzle - 17 March 2018 at 1:58pm
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2018 at 5:11pm

Mount them like this 1st...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 14>