Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1850’s

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Rogers Archive Posts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1850’s
    Posted: 24 November 2004 at 9:28am

hey there.

ive built a pair of 1850's, and now i wana get the drivers(yeh weird order i know). i havnt got enough cashido for the old pd's so i was wanderin wat cheaper alternatives have i got?? loud is the concern, so im not lookin for that crystal bass experience, jus sumthin ta blast sum munters with. powerin them is not a concern either

i know its a question that your prob sayin to yer selves2why the fek dosnt he look for himself" but i need this rig up by the weekend, so any help will be appreciated for eternity.

loves

willywonker

tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2004 at 10:37am
well,if the driver is similar specs to an 1850 you cant go far wrong!
1850 specs being

Fs 30hz
Qts 0.21
Vas 250litre
Xmax 11mm

If the specs are wrong and u put any 18" in it,it might make mainly upper bass and no lows at all....but it will make some noise

-I thought the Pds are quite cheap compared to some 18" prices!

whitehousejamie View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitehousejamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2004 at 11:28am

Go for the Void V-18 1000 from www.proaudioparts.co.uk

Jamie

Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2004 at 1:07pm
@ tbmike: wrong 18 and enough power means you'll play catch with the cone after a while or your driver will have developed a second suspention free of charge . Rog suggests the 186 Cab for lesser drivers (1850 has >2:1 compression ration IIRC.
ben influence View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ben influence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2004 at 6:59pm
there is a p audio driver that will work......... won't be as loud and
will only take about half power....... will have to try and find out
which one it was, sure i've got it written down some where!
ben influence View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ben influence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2004 at 7:06pm
right then,
the driver you want is the P-Audio R18 100B £135 each from
pro audio parts, you can stick about 700/800 watts into each
one!
(havn't tried them myself, but thats what Rog advised when i
was looking for a cheaper driver for the 1850 cab.)
Ben
Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2004 at 7:15pm
Hmm, P.Audio doesn't give too much info on that driver, so it might be a runner (I went with the Challenger 18-650EL which I will give a go in a horn cab sometime these holidays). Cone looks like it might be a good choice, though it's hard to judge with so little info on the site and not having ever had one in my hands (the local P.Audio dealer doesn't keep them) What other hints has Rog dropped to people over time regarding hot product choices?
roborg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2004 at 8:08pm
Has anyone seen oversound speakers outside Brasil? Their 18" is pretty effective & so far no problems, 800Wrms EBP=130, BL=31, deep conical cone. It's v similar to PD1850 (only got a baby 4" VC though )
I buy these in Brasil for around 80quid each (420r$ after haggling )

cheers
Rob
What I cannot create, I do not understand
Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2004 at 8:50pm
I have had a look at them before (when you first started posting your project) and looked at their big 2" driver, but couldn't get any info so I stopped enquiring. The SUB800 does look promising, but I doubt they'd spec anything a la Kippel/Dumax.

Is the cone re-inforced in any way?
roborg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2004 at 3:04pm
The cone might have something sandwiched in it, but apart from that it looks like treated long fiber paper. Appearance wise it looks identical to the material of the v1000 cone, but looks can be deceiving There's an extra layer of something in the center, maybe kevlar reinforced paper (hoping.) Fairly unspectacular overall. My cone test is to stick my finger into it from behind & see how much it flexes , this passed the finger test .
Of the affordable, and readily available choice i had, mostly brasilian manufacturers: selenium, snake, profissom, oversound & some others it seemed the best bet. Very few 18's made out here seem good for horn loading.
If you ever visit Sao Paulo you *must* go to santa ifigenia, there are literally fifty pro-sound stores in about 4 blocks all competing, v easy to get a quote & just tell the guy in the store next door i want more discount!

cheers,
Rob
What I cannot create, I do not understand
tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2004 at 12:59am
i duno if putting a 135pound 18" woofer in the horn will be very effective,can always try
 Post Reply Post Reply