Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer Speaker Help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ambientvoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2017 at 9:23am
also in the introduction Notes section it says it recommends DC36V to power it for 1 hour, so it's possible that the 30V max is for continuous usage in which case is it possible that 32 to 33V would be ok for a few hours at a time?

Edited by ambientvoid - 01 February 2017 at 9:24am
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2017 at 11:41am
Originally posted by ambientvoid ambientvoid wrote:

also in the introduction Notes section it says it recommends DC36V to power it for 1 hour, so it's possible that the 30V max is for continuous usage in which case is it possible that 32 to 33V would be ok for a few hours at a time?

Hmm ... bit strange .... but if that amp _were_ to go bang or phut - that gives you a very good case for getting a warranty replacement !
Likely as not it'll relate to thermal design - which, like I said - shouldn't be an issue for you when using 8R loads (less o/p current than 4R)).

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2017 at 2:38pm
I think all the chips Sure use have pretty good over-voltage protection. The chip will just not start up if the supply rail is too high. At least that is the theory. You should just get a red "SHDN (shutdown)" light and no output. 
Similarly, the chip can withstand and switch 36v safely, but not into 4 ohms indefinitely - at some point it, or the output filter, will overheat. Then you have to power-cycle it to restore operation, or repair the filter. Sure don't want people to encounter that "error condition", so they recommend a lower voltage.

Srsly tho how about a regulator board. Then you can choose the voltage, and even use different batteries in future. You won't regret it ;)
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
ambientvoid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ambientvoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2017 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by studio45 studio45 wrote:

I think all the chips Sure use have pretty good over-voltage protection. The chip will just not start up if the supply rail is too high. At least that is the theory. You should just get a red "SHDN (shutdown)" light and no output. 
Similarly, the chip can withstand and switch 36v safely, but not into 4 ohms indefinitely - at some point it, or the output filter, will overheat. Then you have to power-cycle it to restore operation, or repair the filter. Sure don't want people to encounter that "error condition", so they recommend a lower voltage.

Srsly tho how about a regulator board. Then you can choose the voltage, and even use different batteries in future. You won't regret it ;)

good to know it potentially has that sort of auto cut off type safety feature, i was a bit worried that i might wreck the amp somehow if the voltage was too high. 

so as its going into an 8ohm speaker is it more or less likely to be able to handle up to 36V safely for an extended period? it won't have more than 33.6V going into it from my batteries anyway (32.8V if i manage to set up my charger properly), and if i understand it correctly that voltage should drop a bit more maybe an hour later...

Edited by ambientvoid - 03 February 2017 at 11:25pm
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2017 at 3:47pm
Yes, as far as I can tell it will run at 36v into 8 ohms indefinitely. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ambientvoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2017 at 11:11am
i've got the last few components now and i'm getting ready to start putting it all together but i've been looking at abs project cases to mount the components into but not finding anything of a useful size, cases are either too small to fit the amps width or way too large overall. so i was wondering if getting a slim hard case briefcase and drilling some ventilation holes in the side would work? i think i could make a hole to mount the power switch through. also i was looking at the chunky foam dividers in flight cases and wondering if they would be safe to hold the batteries in place while they're powered up or if there would be too much heat buildup?
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2017 at 7:37pm
Sure a small briefcase is a good idea. I used the plastic cases that came with a pair of cheap large diaphragm condenser mics for the first iteration of my system. There was just enough space inside for all the boards, and they were very lightweight. Plus the carrying handle was useful for strapping them down to the trailer. 
I wouldn't worry about heat buildup in the batteries too much. Remember the 1/8th rule for audio power draw: your average long term power draw (averaged over several minutes) is only about 12.5% of whatever your highest peak draw is. Whereas for things like RC vehicles, the power draw is much higher and more constant. So your batteries are unlikely to get more than slightly warm, even if you run at full beans till they're flat. EG if you needed peaks of 15A, your average draw would be about 2A.
This rule of thumb was more reliable before the advent of genres like dubstep and digital steppas, which can produce a higher average draw due to the more or less continuous high level basslines. But the figure is still likely to be no more than 25% of peak. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ambientvoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2017 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by studio45 studio45 wrote:

I used the plastic cases that came with a pair of cheap large diaphragm condenser mics for the first iteration of my system. There was just enough space inside for all the boards, and they were very lightweight.
was that similar to the pelican cases/flight cases used for photographic and other audio equipment?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234