Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

dave rat on his chilli peppers FOH setup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geoSal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2016 at 7:36pm
this video is quite interesting too.

My question is what is the 2nd pink noise osc running from?The same software/mixer or another source?
if the same then the lack of phase issues is because of  the variable gain on different frequencies on the pink noise gen?
Also very interesting thing on his mix is panning hard L/R the kicks and every other line he can.
This way he avoids phase problems on the subs because the sources are identical and not the same.
I think he used to be a mono sub configuration fan but now he runs subs on 2 aux sends feeding them the same instruments from different mics or sources.So no more power alleys or ''holes'' due to L/R sub stacks distance.I know the problem is not completely solved but is greatly reduced.
And let's face it ,cardio or end fire setups are a much bigger compromise.
Anyway, Dave Rat has got much to tell if you see all his videos or read his blog ,always supporting his words with arguments.He comes from the 80''s punk era when people used to play and listen to real music.Still mixing in the same old school style away from fancy plugins and digital garbage for mp3 sounding music

jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2016 at 9:57am
Originally posted by Robbo Robbo wrote:

You may find that he is probably deaf or has hearing problems with his right ear which can be the only possible reason why he mixes FOH sideways with his left ear facing the stage.
Over the years, I have mixed FOH in probably every terrible position known to man at times and can honestly say that it is just pure common sense to be facing the stage full on so that the complete stereo mix can be heard by both left and right ears.t
Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys is deaf in one ear (allegedly caused by beatings from his father). As long as you are aware of the fact that one ear doesn't work correctly it is possible to compensate by either adjusting EQ/volume levels on the monitors in the studio or simply turning your head in live situations as Dave Rat appears to do.
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
Tedski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tedski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2016 at 10:36am
Originally posted by geoSal geoSal wrote:

this video is quite interesting too.

My question is what is the 2nd pink noise osc running from?The same software/mixer or another source?
if the same then the lack of phase issues is because of  the variable gain on different frequencies on the pink noise gen?

Very interesting indeed. Food for thought.
supremesoundz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supremesoundz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2016 at 12:14pm
Great viewing on a Sunday morning. Mrs has been on the phone so didnt even get nagged..

mitchiemasha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchiemasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2016 at 3:43am
It's worth while watching all Dave Rats videos.
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2016 at 9:06am
I tend to have mixed feelings about Dave Rat.

In general I quite like him, was an avid reader of his original Chili Peppers tour blog back from like 2006 or whenever, and he makes a lot of interesting points. His group compression technique is also a big help with a busy mix, does a lot to help keep things even and in control. Also a big fan of the Microwedge design (I'd actually had a VERY similar design in my head before I ever heard of it) and his headphone test videos were a big help. 

However I know a LOT of people from big pro sound companies who aren't as much of a fan. Exactly the kind of people who would be providing sound for his big tours when his act(s) come over to the UK, they tend to hint that the reason he only mixes for peppers now and not a lot of the bands he used to isn't just down to his own choice, and that a lot of the crazy sub techniques he comes up with are very good on paper but in the real world don't always hold up, and that sticking to much simpler cardioid systems or manufacturer approved set ups give much better results.

He also seems very touchy on social media, and I've seen quite a few times on facebook when someone has made a fairly innocent joke or comment that is clearly intended as banter and hes taken it very seriously, taken is as some sort of insult or comment against him and been rather overly harsh back. 

K

Edited by kevinmcdonough - 13 December 2016 at 9:11am
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2016 at 9:28am

Also very interesting thing on his mix is panning hard L/R the kicks and every other line he can.
This way he avoids phase problems on the subs because the sources are identical and not the same.
I think he used to be a mono sub configuration fan but now he runs subs on 2 aux sends feeding them the same instruments from different mics or sources.So no more power alleys or ''holes'' due to L/R sub stacks distance.I know the problem is not completely solved but is greatly reduced.

Mmmm I don't know if i'm convinced with that one, whether it would be worth the compromise. Yes it'll reduce phase problems at the actual speaker and in what the speaker reproduces, but you'll still get those phase problems when the sound waves meet in the air. 

And you'll have the added problem that it'll sound different to everyone across the listening plane. Assuming there is at the very least a different sound from each mic, and probably different processing, then you're left with the situation of with, say the kick, that the people on the left tend to only hear the inner mic which usually picks up more of the beater and is a bit more clicky, and the people on the right will only get the outer mic, which gets the rush of air out of the kick hole and tends to be lower, and more "whoofy" and rounded, less attack. People in the middle will get some mix of both depending on where they stand, but will be very variable depending on phase and distances etc.

Mixing both together and sending them to the subs mixed at least provides a level of consistency as much as possible. Preferably with a centre cluster, but even with LR stacks, yes you may need to process the mics a bit, or add a little delay to one to try and align them and maybe put up with a touch of phase funnyness, but once you have a sound that you like you can be much more confident that that's what is coming out of all of the subs and the audience is actually hearing, rather than a load of phase funnyness that is out of your control changing things from left to right. 

k

Edited by kevinmcdonough - 13 December 2016 at 9:29am
pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2016 at 10:17am
I can understand what he is on to but I can see serious problems like kevin just described. Hard stereo panning for large audience is really risky business. With typical stereo system, on stadium maybe 10-20% of audience will get really nice stereo image. Next 10-20% will get some sort of idea of stereo maybe but I'd say over 50% of audience wont have any clue of what the other side of speaker system is.

Regarding to subs, if they are groundstacked, or actually pretty much whatever grounstacked source.
If we assume two sub stacks spaced 20 meters wide and assume SPL drops 6dB per distance doubled, however, this might not be entirely true as I don't quite know how things work in half space

Audience right in front of one of the stacks, 30 meters from that stack will be 36 meters from other stack. This means they will hear the other sub stack 17ms late and at 1,6dB lower amplitude

Audience right in front of one of the stacks, 20 meters from that stack will be 28 meters from other stack. This means they will hear the other sub stack 24ms late and at 3dB lower amplitude

Audience right in front of one of the stacks, 10 meters from that stack will be 22 meters from other stack. This means they will hear the other sub stack 36ms late and at 7dB lower amplitude

Audience 45 degree OUTSIDE one of the stacks at 20 meters distance from that stack will be 37 meters from other stack. This means they will hear the other sub stack 50ms late and at 5dB lower amplitude

Audience 45 degree OUTSIDE one of the stacks at 10 meters distance from that stack will be 28 meters from other stack. This means they will hear the other sub stack 52ms late and at 9dB lower amplitude

I have somewhat been schooled by Bob McCarthy regarding system design and as a rough rule he tends to think that when talking about interference and summation, after 10dB of amplitude difference the other source doesn't need much consideration anymore. However in this case the more important bit is the time difference. Of course relation between time and phase change when discussing only sub frequencies...
http://bobmccarthy.com/the-emperors-new-stereo/
White Noise View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Noise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2016 at 10:23am
Lots of interesting stuff on this vid !

as someone else has mentioned, great idea on his panning to reduce summation and cancellation effects, never thought of that before ... wonder if it actually works when your not in one spot tho ;) . Also love his take on having the desk sideways on... seems a low bullshit kinda guy who just likes to get the job done :) 

but whats your guys thoughts on him saying he has control over he crossover point between the subs and mains ?and likes to change it throughout the gig ?

iv'e only recently started delving into the world of phase alignment... Surely if the p.a has been set up, eq''d and aligned to certain frequency's and certain positions... isnt he just going to mess all that up by moving the x/o point ? seems a bit backwards to me lol, especially when his rta is only measuring one place by the looks... but if anyone has an explanation to how this can be useful id love to hear... the guy obviously knows his stuff so must have method to the madness :) 

Edited by White Noise - 13 December 2016 at 10:24am
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2016 at 3:05pm
I am always very sceptical when I see things being attempted outside the norm--Yes, sometimes some very talented sound guy will come up with something "different" that does really work but usually it is either bullshit or ego driven and I tend to find that the best FOH soundguys are the ones that tend to keep their little secrets and methods under their hats.
Years ago we were going out on tour with a major act that I had worked with previously on many occasions and the artistes management had stipulated that their own FOH sound guy would be in charge.
Now this did not bother me one bit as after twenty years or so touring I could take a ride along on a 38 date tour and at the same time have a nice break from dailey pressures.
Two days of pre-production rehearsals at Shepperton had shown up a few problems with the sound guys knowledge of live sound in general even though he was well known in the industry supposedly with an excellent track record--there were quite a few mutterings between myself and our regular sound crew about his methods over those two days but we did manage to keep a lid on things and give him the benefit of any doubts we had and also the management company seemed very happy with him so obviously we did not want to rock the boat.
On the first day of the tour proper we turned up at Leicesters De Montfort hall and quickly rigged stage set, lights and PA(two 40ft trailers for sound and one 40ft for lighting) and sat and waited for soundcheck time.During this leisurely break, I had chance to have a good look at the way that the FOH rack and desk had been set up during rehearsals for the tours first gig and I had a little smile to myself but managed to keep my mouth shut.
About half way through soundcheck(which was not going well)I was babysitting the FOH position with all of our crew on talkback systems but what I did not know was that the acts manager had also picked up a TB system and was wearing it and I then got a call from our onstage monitor engineer asking me to go up on stage as there was a potential problem.
Onstage I was asked to look at both the many FOH and monitor ampracks and witnessed that whilst the monitor rack were being driven nicely as per usual with plenty of level, the same could not have been said for the FOH racks with mostly only the bottom LED flickering on and our monitor guy said to me that we could have done this tour with a Luton Transit instead of two 40ft artics.
Now I meandered back to FOH to find it vacant and the acts manager not there either but about ten minutes later the manager returned on his own and when I saw him, the penny dropped that he had obviously overheard the previous TB conversations as he had quite a wry smile on his face--he then asked me to come with him for a private talk in the production office.
The superstar sound engineer was on his way to the train station and they were now in a position of having no one to do the job with doors about two hours away---under the circumstances, would I accept his apology and could I take over for the whole tour.
Now I had known this manager for some ten years or so, always got on well with him so I said OK as I really felt for him at that time.
Needless to say the whole tour went very well with superb sound and lighting and rave reviews in the music press into the bargain.
On the last gig of the tour when our final 25% pay check was due the acts manager called me into the production office to give me the payment and handed me an envelope which obviously contained the paycheck--he then handed me a rather thick jiffy type bag which obviously contained a very large wedge of cash which I immediately tried to refuse and give it back to him but he would not have any of it and apologised once again to me about putting me in a terrible predicament on the first gig of the tour and that the money was in fact a good bonus for me to make up for things.
Now a few years down the line that same manager had taken on another two well known acts to manage and needless to say I was always the first person for him to ring when setting up a tour.
The superstar sound engineer is still working in the industry and having heard him mix a few acts over the years, he has not improved at all.
Oh and the jiffy bag contained a bonus for me of £5K which was equally split between all of my employees a week later.
Pinyorouk View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinyorouk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2016 at 3:46pm
A very interesting read Robbo. Thanks!
geoSal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geoSal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2016 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by kevinmcdonough kevinmcdonough wrote:

Mmmm I don't know if i'm convinced with that one, whether it would be worth the compromise. Yes it'll reduce phase problems at the actual speaker and in what the speaker reproduces, but you'll still get those phase problems when the sound waves meet in the air. 

And you'll have the added problem that it'll sound different to everyone across the listening plane. Assuming there is at the very least a different sound from each mic, and probably different processing, then you're left with the situation of with, say the kick, that the people on the left tend to only hear the inner mic which usually picks up more of the beater and is a bit more clicky, and the people on the right will only get the outer mic, which gets the rush of air out of the kick hole and tends to be lower, and more "whoofy" and rounded, less attack. People in the middle will get some mix of both depending on where they stand, but will be very variable depending on phase and distances etc.

Mixing both together and sending them to the subs mixed at least provides a level of consistency as much as possible. Preferably with a centre cluster, but even with LR stacks, yes you may need to process the mics a bit, or add a little delay to one to try and align them and maybe put up with a touch of phase funnyness, but once you have a sound that you like you can be much more confident that that's what is coming out of all of the subs and the audience is actually hearing, rather than a load of phase funnyness that is out of your control changing things from left to right. 

k

Yes all of the above is true ,but I think what he is trying to achieve on subs here(the mains are easier to control above 200hz,depending on the system line array,point source,etc and the phase issues for the audience are not so obvious unless they sit somewhere where there is no system dispersion at all), is to make 2 independent sources so the instruments that will feed those 2 aux have different time and phase.As he explains he tries to eq the 2 kick drum mics and make them as close as possible ,then feeds the 2 aux with equal energy.
I dont know at how many metres from the subs the sound waves start to react to each other but in theory and by seeing his video with the small speakers playing pink noise he almost convinced me to at least try it when I get the chance outside.I would treat the subs this way but blend the 2 mics to the mains.
I'm more of a mono sub cluster fan making a virtual arrow through delay.Cardioid arrays never impressed me.Can solve lots of problems but create the biggest one which is ''muddy'' sub bass which in live bands is awful.I like it on electronic music festivals though.

Also thanks pfly and robbo for their posts
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>