Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crown XTI faults - Service Req'd

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stusparty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crown XTI faults - Service Req'd
    Posted: 09 December 2016 at 10:32pm
Hi 
I've got 2x Crown XTi amps, an xti1000 & xti2000. 

The Xti 1000 is a US import and it developed a fault under warranty, but crown UK wouldn't cover it as it was a US model, so I've lived with the fault for a few years. Basically, when you switch it on when cold there is no output from channel 2, to kick it in to action you have to crank the gains up full and then suddenly the channel bursts in to life and runs fine all night. 

The Xti 2000 has been running fine, but the last time I used it, it switched itself off twice during the night, but the switch was still in the ON position, so you had to switch off and then back on again? The trouble is I cant get it to fault again now, but don't want it cutting out in the middle of a gig. 

So, who do you recommend that is good with Crown Amp repairs? Any ideas what the faults could be and if they are worth repairing even? 

Thanks 
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2016 at 11:13pm
Depending on the serial number there are a few mods to be done. The intermittent audio drop out has a mod for this for amps below serial number 8001377031. These were done under warranty as the service bulletin was issued within that time...none are under warranty now. I have to say I've seen amps requiring the mod after that serial number too.

The switching itself off problem simply means the computer has detected a fault 'somewhere' and has turned the power supply off to protect it from possible further damage. A typical fault might be a dry joint or damp/corrision somewhere, that sort of thing. Without further probing it's hard to say. I assume the amps are clean and the fan/heatsinks not clogged solid. The amp will power itself down if it gets too hot to be safe, though I *think* it flashes 'heat' or something in the display for a few minutes after it's muted and before powering down..I cant remember.
There's also a mod for early models involving replacing some resistors in the power supply bootstrap circuit, this may be related to your power problem. They also had a problem with some of the capacitors leaking electrolyte onto the board with various results.

Edited by kedwardsleisure - 09 December 2016 at 11:16pm
Kevin

North Staffordshire

stusparty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stusparty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2016 at 11:32pm
Thanks for the response! I'll check the serial numbers when i'm at the lockup next, but I've had them at least 6 years, but did buy them new. 

They have had very little use over the 6 years, in fact they get used twice a year! So probably only been used a dozen or so times.  All the fans are clean and they are in pretty mint condition. 

I didn't get any fault message on the display, the power just clicked OFF, no muting, but then when switched back on straight away it ran fine for about half hour, then did it again. 
M4trix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M4trix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2016 at 11:39pm
Edit: Bad joke. Sorry. Embarrassed

Edited by M4trix - 10 December 2016 at 12:36am
simonp1100 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote simonp1100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2016 at 8:54pm
This from the Crown service manual:--

Conditions:  Erratic volume, no audio or intermittent audio on the output. The Signal LED may stay lit even
without audio output.

Root Cause:  Damage to the solder-in end of the ribbon cable during manufacture. The new connector, (see Figure 1 above, picture shown is of the CDi/DSi display board), is more robust and not easily damaged. In some instances topside solder on R73/R74 potentiometers can cause the erratic
volume. In either case the display board with13891X-4 or greater revision will resolve the
issue.
stusparty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stusparty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2016 at 9:08pm
Thanks, Its been mentioned before that there may have been a manufacturing problem with the ribbon, I wonder if that is a simple fix I can do if I can source the part? 

Any suggestions otherwise who to use for repair? 
DjLeco View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DjLeco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2016 at 7:09pm
I'm A Stupid SMART Romanian...
M4trix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M4trix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2016 at 7:31pm
This looks terrible. I can't believe Crown didn't have a better heat sinking solution. Ouch

DjLeco View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DjLeco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2016 at 9:58pm
Even if I'm a real fan of crown company (oldschool ones amplifiers), that's the "advantage" to be part of one most destroying concern, HARMAN, shiiiit.
That's the strategy, cheap cost production, maximum beneffits.
I'm A Stupid SMART Romanian...
M4trix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M4trix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2016 at 10:36pm
Besides, what is holding the top heatsink part ? Thermal glue or they're clipped together ? Never had a XTI model in my hands.

Wikl109 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wikl109 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2016 at 10:38pm
I'm pretty certain they were just a 'push fit' type set up on these. As Leco said, cheap to make...............
Cheers, Chris.
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2016 at 1:12pm
On top of the heatsink is a strip of foam which pushes down on the heatsink halves when the lid is screwed on, keeping them together.

The XTi series wasn't actually made by Crown but by V-Tech. Yes, as in the toot-toot splash line of bath time toys.

V-Tech
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>