Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Horn Plan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2017 at 2:46pm
It's not supposed to be ported, its just a normal flh. I think what he meant is that he couldn't find the 'hole' for the letterbox throat on the plans. They are there but not very easy to see. Im gonna upload a better picture of the plan with all the measurements. The one i posted at top was really just for perusal purposes.
Mikkel View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2017 at 3:29pm

Mikkel View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2017 at 3:31pm
Im new to making plans and such so hope these are okay. Will upload cutlist when they are finished.

Edit: Made a tiny ajustment on these new uploads, as found a mistake on the originals.

Also the braces in white are just for illustrational purposes. Can obviously be changed to suit whatever.

Edited by Mikkel - 13 January 2017 at 3:35pm
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2017 at 9:55pm
looks good to me
be good to see/hear how they get on
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2017 at 8:55am
This is really interesting to me.
I've been playing around with the idea of modding the invader bin to fit pallet (120x80)
I suggest you take a look at that thread, lots of sims & experiments with porting.
What I prefer about the invader is that it has no 180 degrees bends, should smoothen response upwards. Also u could take a look at the Amano verion WSX.
www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem
Mikkel View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2017 at 11:12am
Hi tv00. Ive read through the invader thread several times and definitely remember seeing amanos wsx somewhere, thanks for the suggestions, both have influenced my learning curve with horn designing.

Anyways i dont mean to be rude but there are plenty of ported horn designs out there. Designed up from the bottom specifically with that concept in mind, and i think it would be a shame porting this horn. Also i think -3dB @ 38 hz is plenty, and if you need more you need a bigger horn!

The reason i used the s - style bin is because it has added length compared to the c - shape bin.

At the heart of this design process was simplicity. Im no good in the workshop so wanted to have a nice easy box with a decent response down to 40hz. They were the princibles in mind when i started this.

Edited by Mikkel - 14 January 2017 at 11:20am
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2017 at 11:23am
Looking forward to pics, this looks so simple and good
It's everything, not everythink!
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2017 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by Mikkel Mikkel wrote:

The horn length is circa 215 cm give or take. Im not sure how to manually calculate so can only really go with what hornresp is telling me.

Con (S1S2)+Con (S2S3)+Con (S3S4)+Con (S4S5)+ Lp

gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2017 at 1:39pm
Why my hornresp is telling me 193cm LOL?
Mikkel View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2017 at 2:17pm
you forgot to add the Lp, hornresp doesnt do it for you. But to clarify what i meant was I dont know how to manually calculate how low the horn can go, mstep77 said the length probably wasnt long enough to support 38hz, I have no way of verifying hornresp's simsulations so can only go with that.
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2017 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Mikkel Mikkel wrote:

you forgot to add the Lp, hornresp doesnt do it for you. But to clarify what i meant was I dont know how to manually calculate how low the horn can go, mstep77 said the length probably wasnt long enough to support 38hz, I have no way of verifying hornresp's simsulations so can only go with that.

First rule of thumb is the horn has to be at least 1/4 of a wavelength long to provide decent loading.

Therefore if you want 38Hz, you want a length of at least 226cm.

Obviously, lots of other factors affect the final shape of the response curve, but that's one key thing anyone can look at when evaluating a potential design to see if it's at least "in the ballpark".
Mikkel View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2017 at 5:02pm
Excellent, thanks for that Dmorrison!

So being circa 218 cm it should support down to 39 hz, assuming there is sufficient mouth area to support that too.

Which brings me to another question - I remember reading that a rule of thumb for mouth area is that the circumference needs to be same length as the lowest wavelength. now 870cm would be something like 12 horns stacked together! Is this correct or am I barking up the wrong tree?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>