Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New 4 channel amp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 19>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2017 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

Personally seen this attempted on PKN XE6000s, & even with hpf at 50hz, amp was almost thermalling, most of the night.

Talking about unfair comparison is irrelevant. Comparing amps in gigs, playing music, is real world stuff.

Back on Topic, sure Andy's amps, would look more respectful in racks, than orange and grey suited Berrys..

The thermal limiting is very good in PKNs, unlike others... it pulls down average signal in multiple steps effectively saving voice coils from overheating. When *normally* used thermal limiter is never activated ok XE6000, even above 36°C.
The difference between XE6000 an INUKE is just 3-6dB and so called sound quality + few other things, which is apparently not so important here...
Finally what is "preamp" (??) I still do not understand..
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2017 at 9:08pm
Viktor, they use this so caller preamps (basically a hyped eq unit) and boost like 10db at 40hz on 1500W amp that is pushing 800W speaker. So by that supporting the local recone center. :-)
At least that is how i think it works.
So nothing any "normal" user would ever do.

Edited by MarjanM - 26 January 2017 at 9:10pm
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
BJtheDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2017 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by U.Viktor U.Viktor wrote:

Finally what is "preamp" (??) I still do not understand..

You need to look at the pre-amp section of Roots & Culture to understand the concept LOL

http://forum.speakerplans.com/show-us-your-preamp_topic9784.html
U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2017 at 9:39pm
Thanks, I will study it.

In the European *standard* signal chain we do not have such element "preamp"

Source signal usually originated from the output of FOH console, directly to the DSP (LAKE..) then routed to the amps with minimal correction. 10dB or so is such an invasive it would signal fundamental design fault of the system

Edited by U.Viktor - 26 January 2017 at 9:40pm
valve head777 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2017 at 9:42pm
Well it puts me in a quandary. I have what seems to be a sick 5002vz. If it goes to an engineer it'll be 50£ just to poke around. If it needs anything major add more £££. You see where Im heading. Even if amp gets repaired,
its 20 odd year old, so at risk of more problems. I would deffo consider what AK is offering. Mind you, if an inf8 came by....
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2017 at 9:49pm
these guys aren't into PA though viktor. they're custom building stuff to play their roots reggae music, and they're not looking to provide service to other users with their equipment.

they build it like a musician.
valve head777 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2017 at 9:57pm
Reggae systems were traditionally custom built because equipment off the shelf wasn't capable of delivering what was being demanded by the sound man. Hence legendary folk who built absolutely massive amplifiers.
Too easy these days...

Edited by valve head777 - 26 January 2017 at 9:59pm
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2017 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by U.Viktor U.Viktor wrote:

Thanks, I will study it.

In the European *standard* signal chain we do not have such element "preamp"

Source signal usually originated from the output of FOH console, directly to the DSP (LAKE..) then routed to the amps with minimal correction. 10dB or so is such an invasive it would signal fundamental design fault of the system

As said above, these systems are for one type of music (generally) and are owned/run in a way not seen outside of that scene. The systems sometimes play against each other, being judged on many things. The systems are run a bit like a musical instrument and the pre-amp is key. Put simply it's a way of boosting and reducing frequencies, much like a graphic but with carefully chosen frequencies. "Sound man" can boost sub in such a way as to excite the crowd, the music is geared to this. There can also be other effects.
When playing early house music we would sometimes drop the bass out for a few bars than bang it back in, you must have witnessed that Viktor? Same principal but taken to another level, not just the sub either.  Hope this helps?

http://www.jahtubbys.co.uk/equipment.html

It's everything, not everythink!
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2017 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by valve head777 valve head777 wrote:

Well it puts me in a quandary. I have what seems to be a sick 5002vz. If it goes to an engineer it'll be 50£ just to poke around. If it needs anything major add more £££. You see where Im heading. Even if amp gets repaired,

its 20 odd year old, so at risk of more problems. I would deffo consider what AK is offering. Mind you, if an inf8 came by....

If you bought your Crown MA 5002vz brand new 20 years ago, it should have paid for itself by now. If you purchased the Crown MA 5002vz used recently, and it is malfunctioning, that is the risk you take when purchasing a used amplifier. Only you can decide if it is worth servicing or not.   

I bought my Crown MA 5000vz amplifiers brand new when they were in production. To this day, all six Crown MA 5000vz amplifiers are working properly. When you invest in an amplifier, it will last for decades. 

Inexpensive amplifiers do not retain value on the used market once they are no longer in production. At least you can get £££ for a malfunctioning 20 year old Crown MA 5002vz. The same cannot be said for an amplifier that offers a retail price of £260.00 brand new in the box, when it is no longer in production more so malfunctioning. 

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 26 January 2017 at 10:58pm
Elliot Thompson
king david View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king david Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2017 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

Viktor, they use this so caller preamps (basically a hyped eq unit) and boost like 10db at 40hz on 1500W amp that is pushing 800W speaker. So by that supporting the local recone center. :-)

the answers that followed it gave more informatons, but this made me smile :)
http://www.warriorcharge.noblogs.org
Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2017 at 12:02am
Originally posted by king david king david wrote:

Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

the answers that followed it gave more informatons, but this made me smile :)

Scarily close to the truth in some cases...
just a guy with a warehouse and a few speakers... www.bluearan.co.uk
king david View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king david Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2017 at 12:04am
There is a soundsystem i know in hungary, Viktor, its called Dubapest Hi-Fi, and they're using a custom preamp, i think they play quite often in the capital.
The sound is well built and they're using pro drivers and amps, It should give you an idea, so worth checking out
http://www.warriorcharge.noblogs.org
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 19>