FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Void X6 on bass?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
el chupacabra View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el chupacabra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Void X6 on bass?
    Posted: 17 January 2017 at 4:43pm
If you look on Tom's stable audio page for USB2 he lists the RCF version as 137db output and fane as 131db. But also in the original USB2 thread the lf18n401 came out as less efficient but lower and louder. I don't kid myself that below 40hz I'm not just going to be wasting energy but above that they can take quite a substantial amount of power.

Speaker Sol View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2017 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by el chupacabra el chupacabra wrote:

I've run rcf loaded USB2 off a bunch of different stuff.

sae pxm1450. great up to 3 per channel. weight and clean. surprisingly high output from 6.
pkn xe-6000. spent a whole weekend mixing bands with 2 of these running eight usb2, outdoors & off the ground. great clean kick for audience area. warm enough. good output but not the most by any means. PFC and impedance monitoring ftw.
infinite 7v2 - moderate output. enough for most applications.
infinite 8v2 - weight, relatively balanced sound but not as high output as is possible.
matrix xt7000mf 4ohm - warmer sound, seemingly higher output but less defined kick.
powersoft k10 - clean, tight kick with weight. at 4ohm very nearly matches 7000mf for peak output but that may seem simply seem so from cleaner sound.
lab gruppen 4000 - clean but moderate output and less weight.

The RCF lf18n401 can really manage a lot of sustained notes in this cab, while remaining relatively linear across the bass spectrum. Luckily it is also quite efficient in this design as Kyle mentioned so can still do plenty with moderate power and especially with 6/8

edit: 30-90 is a bit different to me. 38 - 148 fullrange or 65 - 148 above subs. definitely no need to run to 30.

Mine are Fane neo 800w loaded, I can smell the VCs getting warm within a minute of moderately high output. But still no where clip (pkn xe6000), peak voltage of about 120v, and amp reporting 600w average, per channel (2 bins per channel).

No distortion at this power but im nervous of overheating them. Do you think im beings overly cautious?

Or are the RCF cones just able to take more?

el chupacabra View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el chupacabra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2017 at 6:55pm
I've run rcf loaded USB2 off a bunch of different stuff.

sae pxm1450. great up to 3 per channel. weight and clean. surprisingly high output from 6.
pkn xe-6000. spent a whole weekend mixing bands with 2 of these running eight usb2, outdoors & off the ground. great clean kick for audience area. warm enough. good output but not the most by any means. PFC and impedance monitoring ftw.
infinite 7v2 - moderate output. enough for most applications.
infinite 8v2 - weight, relatively balanced sound but not as high output as is possible.
matrix xt7000mf 4ohm - warmer sound, seemingly higher output but less defined kick.
powersoft k10 - clean, tight kick with weight. at 4ohm very nearly matches 7000mf for peak output but that may seem simply seem so from cleaner sound.
lab gruppen 4000 - clean but moderate output and less weight.

The RCF lf18n401 can really manage a lot of sustained notes in this cab, while remaining relatively linear across the bass spectrum. Luckily it is also quite efficient in this design as Kyle mentioned so can still do plenty with moderate power and especially with 6/8

edit: 30-90 is a bit different to me. 38 - 148 fullrange or 65 - 148 above subs. definitely no need to run to 30.

Edited by el chupacabra - 15 January 2017 at 6:57pm
Teknotice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teknotice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2017 at 10:04pm
Thanks for the input guys!
'why on earth do you need this much amplification?!'
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2017 at 5:46pm
We have a bunch on installs running smaller subs and they're great for that, nice tone and quality. Probably not ideal for proper balls out gigs though, even if the USB2 is quite an efficient box.

I would always go for max headroom, frankly on subs double AES is the way forward.
Speaker Sol View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2017 at 4:49pm
These I believe where build by matrix for void.

I run my 4 USB2 off of a PKN XE6000 this amp can easly melt the drivers if i wanted it too. I would recommend a PKN XE4000 as a good (safer) choice.

There seem to have been a few about second hand recently. I have a bunch of PKNs (not for sale) some of which are now over 6 years old and have never missed a beat. I like them a lot.

Edited by Speaker Sol - 09 January 2017 at 4:50pm
Teknotice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teknotice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2017 at 8:36am
Hi SP,

Looking to replace some amps to power our stable audio USB2s

Void X6 looks pretty good bang for buck, but are they any good on bass duties 30hz-90hz @ 4ohms ?

Cheers!

'why on earth do you need this much amplification?!'
 Post Reply Post Reply