Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Learning horn resp, need some advice.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2017 at 6:46pm
Ahh ok maybe this is the confusion as it's new version I have. So then my understanding of that function may be correct.

In which case how does hornresp know what segment of the horn the port terminates, surely it's going to have an effect.

Edited by SouthwestCNC - 14 January 2017 at 6:52pm
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2017 at 6:55pm
Ap1 into segment S2 for offset driver OD https://s29.postimg.org/z3v4hcs87/1st_post.png
For Nd into S1.
Rear Ap where is S5. Later in SPL (acoustical power) you can specify distance(tools>>combined response) between S5 and end of a port. It may changed in new version though

Edited by gen0me - 14 January 2017 at 7:02pm
SouthwestCNC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2017 at 7:49pm
Oh ok. So with that you are able to simulate a port from driver to s1/s2 but at the same time loose the option to sim a vent in the rear chamber. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I'd have thought that kind of port into the throat could be simmed using vtc/atc to the same effect.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2017 at 9:47am
Must confess I am not very good at keeping up with the newest version and features of HR. Didn't know this option was in it now. Impressive updating.
fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2017 at 10:57am

' |Horn-Loaded Vented-Box Enclosure With Port Exit Located Inside Horn Mouth
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Select the tapped horn option and set Vrc, Lrc, Ap and Lpt > 0.

Set L12 = 0.01 cm if the driver is not offset.'

Here I have adjusted one of my attempts to hopefully make it clearer, I'm not getting accurate simmed results compared to measured results but I think this is the way that David intended it to be done.

I first used the wizard in the drop down 'help' menu and chose tapped horn with rear chamber and 3 segments.

SouthwestCNC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2017 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by fatfreddiescat fatfreddiescat wrote:

' |Horn-Loaded Vented-Box Enclosure With Port Exit Located Inside Horn Mouth
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Select the tapped horn option and set Vrc, Lrc, Ap and Lpt > 0.

Set L12 = 0.01 cm if the driver is not offset.'

Here I have adjusted one of my attempts to hopefully make it clearer, I'm not getting accurate simmed results compared to measured results but I think this is the way that David intended it to be done.

I first used the wizard in the drop down 'help' menu and chose tapped horn with rear chamber and 3 segments.

Great info. Thanks. Be interesting to hear if anyone gets any results with it.
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2017 at 2:11pm
Thats newEmbarrassed Remember the old one argueing in that setup that its wrong data Tongue

Edited by gen0me - 15 January 2017 at 2:28pm
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2017 at 2:58pm
Could you post a link?
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2017 at 3:04pm
https://s29.postimg.org/82vgr7r07/temp.jpg
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2017 at 3:18pm
Not sure what you mean about the wrong data, is that a pic from another thread?
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2017 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by SouthwestCNC SouthwestCNC wrote:

Hi there, I thought it's about time I start learning how to simulate horn response. Getting on quite well with it and now like to understand how using the ported throats works geometry wise. If the port vents into a horn throat does the length of the port include the remaining length to front of the horn its vented into or not. Or in that scenario does the port then become a tapered port?

TIA

My cabs are ported at the throat, sims suggest the port length and area would be at 65Hz if it was a traditional reflex cab, but with having the full length of the horn attached, the tuning drops to 32Hz.
On my cabs the port area is smaller than the throat area and is a hole cut in 18mm plywood.
The problem with the hornresponse sims is that if I model the cab, it still gives a tuning as though the horn is not acting as a duct.

Edited by fatfreddiescat - 15 January 2017 at 3:30pm
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2017 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by fatfreddiescat fatfreddiescat wrote:

Not sure what you mean about the wrong data, is that a pic from another thread?

Wrong data was on old versions of hornresp when Vrc was >0

The pic shows how to make ports at front and rear chamber in tapped horn.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>