Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tham 15

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sounds4u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tham 15
    Posted: 06 February 2017 at 8:50am
Hi all.

Just completed 2 Tham 15 and want to know if its better to stand them upright or place them on their sides on the floor.

fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2017 at 9:55am
On there side to prevent the cone from sagging.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2017 at 10:16am
It doesn't matter. Tapped Horns don't gain LF extension from more boxes and they'll couple with each other and the floor for extra SPL regardless. Whatever is easier for your stack or desired sub coverage pattern
sounds4u View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sounds4u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2017 at 12:06pm
Thanks guys. I want to put a top hat but don't really know where I should place it.
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2017 at 12:28pm
For stability, I would say landscape, not portrait. So top hat in middle of biggest panel, so other biggest panel has feet to floor.

The wider the contact patch with terra firma, will give some added stability. Helps keep the Mid top CoG inside the base.

M20 threaded top hats may give less wiggle, than the 35/38mm pole receivers. Either way, you can easily achieve enough leverage with a surprisingly short sat pole to "stress" wood, so a bit of reinforcement would be wise, even in 19mm finest BB.
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
sounds4u View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sounds4u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2017 at 12:33pm

Makes good sense with regard to stability. thanks MattStolton. 

tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2017 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

It doesn't matter. Tapped Horns don't gain LF extension from more boxes and they'll couple with each other and the floor for extra SPL regardless. Whatever is easier for your stack or desired sub coverage pattern

they shouldn't according to what we've learned, however people claim the 2 cyclops drops deeper than one, I will do a test measurement some day :-)
www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2017 at 3:43pm
with more boxes the upper bass sensitivity doesn't increase as much as the lower bass. the LF roll-off is still approx the same frequency but probably perceived as more sub.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2017 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by sounds4u sounds4u wrote:

Makes good sense with regard to stability. thanks MattStolton. 

Get these:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/km_24116.htm?glp=1&gclid=CMK71IKr-9ECFcy37Qodjn8M_A

It can't hurt to have one in both the top and side, to be honest. Our tapped horns do and it makes life very easy.
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2017 at 7:18pm
When building cabs that need top hat I always utilize the circular driver cut out to strengthen the panel.
It's everything, not everythink!
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2017 at 9:28pm
I'm not sure what u mean by "circular driver cut out"?
EDIT: I get it:-) The wood left when cutting hole for the driver of course:-)

Do u not route out to make it recessed to be flat with the panel?

Edited by tv00 - 06 February 2017 at 9:29pm
www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2017 at 10:03pm
do, but put the circular cut out as another layer underneath for strength. i've never used the cut out myself.. but i've found it's always worth doubling it up with something around the top hat.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>