Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Peavey VSX26

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Peavey VSX26
    Posted: 09 February 2017 at 9:00pm
Just out of interest, has anyone used a Peavey VSX26 before?
Picked one up recently to replace an Ecler FAP30 (because I just never learn) only to find out its not really supported be Peavey anymore.
Totally in at the deep end and wishing I had purchased a Behringer LMS instead, but thought I would ask on here first before pulling out what little remains of my hair
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2017 at 3:18am
Considered buying one whilst working for a Peavey wholesaler... but once I read about usability, even clearance prices couldn't convince me to buy one.
Fixed gains sounds like a headache, relying on amp attenuation to balance system
https://www.instagram.com/batteryacidsoundsystem/
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2017 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by bitSmasher bitSmasher wrote:

Fixed gains sounds like a headache, relying on amp attenuation to balance system

That is a REAL PITA, on the upside im having to work things out myself, which will help me get a hang on setting everything up. Just hope I dont cook anything in the process. 
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2017 at 3:06pm
The manual clearly shows that you can adjust the level of all the outputs?
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2017 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

The manual clearly shows that you can adjust the level of all the outputs?

Totally agree, but Peavey in their wisdom only designed the VSX to be used with Peavey amps, Ive copied this from one of the postings on their site "All Peavey amplifiers have a fixed Voltage gain of Times Forty (X's 40) which is +32 dB of gain on the decibel scale". As I understand it, I need to go through all my amps and set the gain so that it matches the Peavey setting otherwise the internal processing all gets shot. 
This is all very very new to me, but having known the 'quirks' I possibly wouldnt have bought it, I only checked the reviews, which were saying sound quality / processing is good.
Total newb Confused

Edited by IainB - 10 February 2017 at 8:01pm
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2017 at 11:28pm
Nope. +32dB is the most common amp gain in the touring world. If your amps have different gain then you just have to do the maths to set relative levels on outputs or do it by ear.

I don't know of any LMS that lets you input amp gain and adjusts the dB view to suit frankly, and if one did it would be more confusing.
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2017 at 6:24pm
So enough reading and reading and confusing myself. Ive had a play around with the VSX am I right in my thinking (because the Peavey forum is like a ghost town)

Intending to use these as a stereo input and bi-amp (simple tops and subs to begin with)
Set Inputs and Outputs
Set crossover points 10-100 then 100-20000
Set limiter (need to calculate this still once Ive tested the amp output levels)
EQ at the venue using the inbuilt Autograph

Thats it isnt it? Its basic and Im not even scratching the surface, but its this or using my Ecler FAP30 and if I dont start using this, im never going too. Just dont want to fry my speakers but doing something wrong.
Next time... I will buy something that has a wider user base!
Pinyorouk View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinyorouk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2017 at 2:37pm
I have set one of these up and was sucessfuly able to use the computer software. This was with a Peavey VSX system. Verified all limiter settings with the aid of a multimeter on each amplifier output. It was spot on using Peavey amps with fixed gain. Only thing I didn't like about it was not being able to set a password to lock editing within the unit.

Edited by Pinyorouk - 22 March 2017 at 2:38pm
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2017 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by Pinyorouk Pinyorouk wrote:

I have set one of these up and was sucessfuly able to use the computer software. This was with a Peavey VSX system. Verified all limiter settings with the aid of a multimeter on each amplifier output. It was spot on using Peavey amps with fixed gain. Only thing I didn't like about it was not being able to set a password to lock editing within the unit.

I dont suppose you still have a copy of the VSX software? Peavey have removed it from the download section Cry
Am I correct in my plan of action about how to configure it, I know what Ive written is really simple, just want to make sure im in the ballpark, first gig using the VSX is in just over a week Censored
ewan360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewan360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2017 at 11:11am
Software is here: http://muple.com/shop/shop_detail_pds.asp?goods_code=0903090002
I had to reformat my usb stick (fat format) to get the unit to recognise it.

I would set the high-pass at 30Hz to start with, unless you have a ground-shaker of a PA system.

Edited by ewan360 - 23 March 2017 at 11:14am
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2017 at 12:24pm
Absolute star, thank you Smile that is SO much easier to understand whats going on
Im sure im getting dyslexic, that should have been 40-100! I am an idiot at times Confused 
USB stick is already sorted, its even in the same brushed aluminium finish of the VSX and 256mb
Pinyorouk View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinyorouk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2017 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by IainB IainB wrote:

Originally posted by Pinyorouk Pinyorouk wrote:

I dont suppose you still have a copy of the VSX software? Peavey have removed it from the download section Cry
Am I correct in my plan of action about how to configure it, I know what Ive written is really simple, just want to make sure im in the ballpark, first gig using the VSX is in just over a week Censored

Peavey sent me the software which I believe is in the link above.

I do not claim to be an expert but what I did with the limiters is use this calculator: http://www.poulpetersen.dk/Appn/gblimthc.html in order to calculate the maximum RMS voltage that I would like to feed to my speakers based on speaker wattage and impedance. I would then feed a sine wave signal into the crossover input. I had a stand alone sine wave generator but you could download one onto your phone/laptop. The next thing I did was select a sine wave frequency between my 2 crossover points. eg for bass 40HZ to 100HZ I would use 70HZ. Next I would connect my multimeter to the bass amp output (with no speakers connected) and increase the sine wave input level into the crossover. monitoring my multimeter voltage to ensure that the limiter limited the output voltage to where I had set it. If it went past that level I would lower the limiter threshold. so that increasing the sine wave input would not increase the amplifier voltage output past the voltage I had calculated. This was repeated for the mid and top amplifiers on both left and right channels to ensure that the limiters engaged at the desired levels.

In my case I limited the output voltages to 70% of the maximum voltages as any higher level was not required and I would not have been there to monitor the rig.

I did not conenct the software to the crossover but used it to create a file with my crossover points, limiter settings, delay and eq. This was then uploaded to the crossover using a memory stick.

Regards,

Mike

Edited by Pinyorouk - 23 March 2017 at 12:36pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>