Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bending mid horns

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2017 at 12:33am
i personaly cant see any reason to bend/fold a horn playing down to 1khz i mean that needs to be like less than a ft long? at most id imagine [too drunk to do exact maths atm but im sure its less than a foot?] do you realy need to bend it?
not saying you dont need to just asking
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
SouthwestCNC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2017 at 9:46am
Originally posted by gen0me gen0me wrote:

I checked them(DR200) but cant find any info how high is crossover. Only size of HF horns could get ROUGH idea. What are recommended speakers?

On intuition the directivity should be dictated by shape of bend end and exit of horn. Ofc bend should be narrow to keep similar patchlengths. Now I see where DR shapes came from.
Am I right? Whats DR directivity?

By narrow you mean remain conical also. Id imagine an exponential bend may have some effect on directivity even if only narrow.

Most of the bent horns ive seen are fully exponential, no good for arraying so I understand. Just wonder how a conical transition is possible in a bend and immediately after if your aiming for constant directivity.
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2017 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by Mark James Mark James wrote:

i personaly cant see any reason to bend/fold a horn playing down to 1khz i mean that needs to be like less than a ft long? at most id imagine [too drunk to do exact maths atm but im sure its less than a foot?] do you realy need to bend it?
not saying you dont need to just asking

You're also too drunk to do exact reading at the moment apparently Wink

OP wants their mids to play from whereever their basses cut off up to 3-4kHz, not down to 1kHz.

DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2017 at 1:32pm

Does anyone has experience in bending horns. Im thinking about horn going to 3-4kHz. Very long horn. How far can I bend it?

Have you looked at Peter Morris's DIY 3 ways on soundforums.net?
He reckons that a 12" mid horn cab get up to about 600Hz usefully with a single bend, and used BMS coax compression drivers to reach down to meet that. 
Probably a lot more practical than stretching the (low)mids another 2.5 octaves higher.
HTH,
David.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2017 at 4:00pm
Ive heard its possible to get down to 370hz with a bms4590 and a straight horn just 350mm in length. Will find out soon as im making one.

Think genome is looking for longer throw.

Edited by SouthwestCNC - 13 February 2017 at 4:02pm
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2017 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by SouthwestCNC SouthwestCNC wrote:

By narrow you mean remain conical also. Id imagine an exponential bend may have some effect on directivity even if only narrow. 

Ofc exponential bend will have bigger patchlength differences but its not only "S bend entry" that counts but the whole design.

Most of the bent horns ive seen are fully exponential, no good for arraying so I understand. Just wonder how a conical transition is possible in a bend and immediately after if your aiming for constant directivity.

Do you think it will move the center of bend exit?

Originally posted by DMorison DMorison wrote:

He reckons that a 12" mid horn cab get up to about 600Hz usefully with a single bend, and used BMS coax compression drivers to reach down to meet that. 
Probably a lot more practical than stretching the (low)mids another 2.5 octaves higher.
HTH,
David.

Yes thats an option but... thats basicly mine current design. Instead of 12" is 8" predicted +-100Hz to +-1kHz. So Instead of the current 3"VC 2" throat I could put there coaxial BMS. I wanted something else.

Edited by gen0me - 13 February 2017 at 8:14pm
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2017 at 9:11pm

Ofc exponential bend will have bigger patchlength differences but its not only "S bend entry" that counts but the whole design.

Do you think it will move the center of bend exit?

Originally posted by DMorison DMorison wrote:

HTH,
David.

Yes thats an option but... thats basicly mine current design. Instead of 12" is 8" predicted +-100Hz to +-1kHz. So Instead of the current 3"VC 2" throat I could put there coaxial BMS. I wanted something else.

I retract my statement, I received an xt1465 horn today and that is completely exponential yet its cd is good. contrary to what ive read. I'm just learning about this stuff hence my questions. Comsol might shed some light on it.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2017 at 9:20pm
Here is a image courtesy of teunos which would suggest it is possible if from the exit if not smoothly terminated due to reflections and I would hazard a guess to say this may happen if the bend is too tight or un smooth ie one horn is then transitioning into another but could be wrong.

Edited by SouthwestCNC - 13 February 2017 at 9:26pm
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2017 at 10:25pm
Oh thats beautifull visualisation.
Whats the program?
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2017 at 1:15am
djk
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2017 at 10:45am

Oh thats beautifull visualisation.
Whats the program?

Comsol
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2017 at 8:43pm

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=891d6879c4ffbfc7010196f507fa82c7&attachmentid=53177&d=1317961911

Meyer Sound 833 (patented)

[/QUOTE]
How does it sound? What is comparison to straight horn and what is the high freq cutoff?
Unity comes into mind.

Hmm i think I saw HF drivers mounted like this:

Originally posted by _djk_ _djk_ wrote:

http://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/normal/meyer-sound-833-834-553021.jpg
(foam in the bend)

What is foam in the bend for?
So something like this

wont happen?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>