Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

X1 HD15 Questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote satyagraha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X1 HD15 Questions
    Posted: 15 February 2017 at 10:50am
Hey there,
I started building speakers in 2014 (mainly ARLS and repairing some midtops) but I wanna go for some X1 and HD15 now, so I came to this forum (since in the german massage boards no one really gives answers and also this combination seems to be common here).
To my questions:
- does the service panel need to be the minimum measurement possible? What I intend is to make the back panel in a 3 way section, meaning that I cut the backpanel in 3 sections and have a frame of beech inside the cab so its like top panel, service panel (screwed into the beech frame), bottom panel while the service panel is of the same width as the rest of the panels (I saw this once made on X1 in a picture but cannot find it anymore)
Why would I do that? Well it basically saves working time since you are finished in 2 cuts and dont need to mill out the opening and the cover extra, but I wonder for the stability if it would still be enough - on the other hand its only 2cm missing

- on my search I found alot of crossoversettings but no delay settings, I will have to measure it myself I'm pretty aware of that, but since I don't have a measuresystem myself but am reliant on a friend (who currently is not available but will be later) I wanted to know if there are like classic tested settings, since this system seems to be common in the US (I'll be running 2x X1 with Void18 and 4x HD15 with Oberton15b450) + 2x 12'' 1' direct tops (for starters).

- is it legit to mill like 2mm out of the sidepanels for the curve of the hd15 and insert bent plywood there instead of building a frame to screw it on? (not really sure if I'm doing this, just for theory)

Thanks for your advices and sorry if this is somewhere already discussed, but I didn't found it with the forum nor the google search. Also sorry for my bad english, I'm not a native speaker, if something remains unclear do not hesitate to ask.

rest of the setting if needed:
- synq 3k6 for x1
- synq 3k6 for hd15
- tamp tsa 4700 for tops
- crossover dynacord 244
construction will be glued screwed and connected with biscuit joiners
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2017 at 11:12am
i don't really follow what you're talking about with the access door.. but really you can do it however you like as long as it's airtight, rigid, removable, and you have enough room to get the driver in and out.
on the 2mm rebate.. i've always done 5mm. makes for easier maths and it's about the right amount.

i've never made hd15s or anything with curved face.. but i think you'll have to make a former of some kind to make the curved piece.
satyagraha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote satyagraha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2017 at 12:42pm
Thanks for your fast reply cravings.

To the service panel, yeah I was thinking the same, just wanted to get sure.

To the curve part: therefor I thought it might be enough to mill some mm into the sidepanels as former for flexible plywood, otherwise i may have acces to a steambender to bend an actual 18mm sheet, but I don't know yet so I was just trying to gather infos, the other idea is to make it like shown here (http://speakerplans.com/index.php?id=daveyhd15) or to go with the 3 or 5 panel version of he hd15 (http://forum.speakerplans.com/modifiction-to-hd15-flare_topic32872.html).

Greetings

cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2017 at 12:55pm
the davy t pictures there, with the curve.. i'm fairly sure that's layers of 3mm ply glued and folded separately around the former. if i was building hd15s i think i'd go with the 5 section flare version.
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2017 at 1:44pm
i would strongly advice against those synq 3k6 amps.. specially on bass the tend to blow up quickly..!
(mate blew a pair powering 4 single 15" kicks, other mate a couple on 15s aswell)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote satyagraha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2017 at 2:27pm
Hey bass*en*mass,

I'm using 1 of the synq3k6 since 2years to drive 4 ARLS (15'' hybridsub 38-121Hz) and never had any issues, also in comparisment to PSE SM2000 and to a TA 2400 the synq3k6 has much deeper ending and in german forums it is said that its very reliable when you got the one of ther newer versions which don't have the power supply failure (was only in the first version of it). Maybe this is the problem?
SouthwestCNC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2017 at 2:38pm
Like the es18 access panel I presume?. in which case Have to be careful that the other side panels are not bowed in anyway.
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2017 at 3:02pm
recent tests done by a respected guy show the issue with those 3k6 is not solved yet.
6 bursts below clipping at 60hz a 1s on, 300ms off - Amp dead..
(http://www.lautsprecherforum.eu/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=6099&start=40)

wont rely on these powering the whole bass section.

oh and 3/5 piece solid panel version hd15 seems less prone to ringing than the bend ply one.
15b450 is one of my personal favourites in these so good choice there :)
Best get your whole setup measured properly than relying on others recommendations. its worth it!

Edited by bass*en*mass - 15 February 2017 at 3:12pm
SouthwestCNC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2017 at 4:29pm
I did and ran 10 5 piece 18mm curve ones over 10 years ago now. They sounded awesome no ringing whatsoever.

Edited by SouthwestCNC - 15 February 2017 at 4:30pm
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2017 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by satyagraha satyagraha wrote:

- does the service panel need to be the minimum measurement possible? What I intend is to make the back panel in a 3 way section, meaning that I cut the backpanel in 3 sections and have a frame of beech inside the cab so its like top panel, service panel (screwed into the beech frame), bottom panel while the service panel is of the same width as the rest of the panels (I saw this once made on X1 in a picture but cannot find it anymore)
Why would I do that? Well it basically saves working time since you are finished in 2 cuts and dont need to mill out the opening and the cover extra, but I wonder for the stability if it would still be enough - on the other hand its only 2cm missing

X1 + HD15 combo here….. 

Based on your question I would assume that you need to familiarize yourself a little bit more with the X1 plan. Check the back panel area in the different section views. The lower half of the back panel essentially consists only of three little strips of wood. You don't need to mill/router anything. just measure the size of these three pieces from the plan. The two side pieces are 25 mm, the bottom piece is 30 mm…. you glue these three bits on the rear panel that holds the tnuts for the access panel.

The annoying part building X1s is getting the angles for the speaker baffle right, and joining it to the rear panels. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote satyagraha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2017 at 9:43am
Thanks for all your answers!

@bass*en*mass: thanks for the info, didn't know this, well maybe I'll sell my Synqs and get some heavyweight amps for them, lets see
Yeah I wanna measure it to see the right settings but I also wanted to give it a try just from the already done measurements until I have the time and equipment to measure it with a friend

@SouthwestCNC: yeah of course they shouldn't bow in, so the service panel wouldn't fit anymore, but I guess with enough screws and not having the service panel open all the time (which obvisly won't  happen) I guess it should be fine, the 15b450 was recommended like everywhere and also the price is very good (99€ compared to pd154 249€ in germany)

@bob4: yep you are definately right with the X1 plan. I didn't look for the service panel that carefully as it seems, so as it is done in the drawings comes pretty close to what I wanted to do also to the HD15 except for the 25mm sidepieces, wanted to leave them out. I'll get the CAD drawings of a friend who already built X1 and should get all the needed angles from there, so it should be fine.

If some others are also reading and need to have a look for the 5 sheet curve and some gluediscussions: https://freespeakerplans.com/forum/7-general-forum/3427-build-tips
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2017 at 10:10am
+1 on the 3k6 amps, they are pretty decent on sub.
I owned one before my fp10000 copie, and had no problems really (they also worked good on a generator).
I only used them on sub, because they don't sound nice on mid-high.

There are two versions in the circuit, the first version had problems.
The newer/second version has only xlr signal inputs and outputs.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>