Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Roots n Culture Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Show us your Pre-Amp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 85>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRE4U2NV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2008 at 11:05pm
top 2 rows are 10 band graphic and a 10 band parametric 
IM SO SECRETIVE BUT I CANT TELL YOU WHY
Capt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Capt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2008 at 11:27am
10 band parametric.. should sound great!
Is this preamp build by Pepper?
TRE4U2NV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRE4U2NV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2008 at 2:20pm
yeah it does sound very good if i do say so myself i just got a new one off him but its stereo with phase switchs and 24db and 48db roll of switchs and inserts on all the outputsClap
Wrighty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrighty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2008 at 2:41pm
Why do none of these pre-amps have any kind of labels on the panels?! Seems crackers to me, but maybe that's because product design is one of the areas I work in.
Heathrow_B_line View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heathrow_B_line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2008 at 2:48pm
Its like a kitchen, you already know where everything is.  If you want a knife you go to the cutlery draw without thinking... you do not look for the label marked cutlery, then the label for knife [although this may help guests to your kitchen]

So once it is explained to you and you get used to it all starts to make sense...  im used to a standard mixer type set up so i can never get used it pre-amps!  But those that use them seem to function well in low light conditions as well, where labels wouldnt be legible anyway

Edited by Heathrow_B_line - 18 February 2008 at 2:52pm
Wrighty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrighty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2008 at 2:58pm
Yeah, but I know where everything is on (for example) an Allen & Heath GL2200. It doesn't stop them screen printing the panel though!

Or is there an internationally agreed BS/EN/ISO standard for layout and colour coding of knobs and switches on reggae pre-amps? LOL
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heathrow_B_line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2008 at 3:09pm
BSI cant sort out important standards for things like steel grades, i doubt they would make one for pre-amps! Big%20smile

Maybe you should try a JA code???

But on a serious note i think i have seen a few labeled pre-amps.  The labels were the plastic strip punched with raised letters if you follow me. 

Pre amps seem like a black art, having no lables on them adds to the mystery
Wrighty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrighty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2008 at 3:14pm
JA code - yeah, you could be on to something there!

I remember those sort of labels - Dymo. I remember clicking stuff out on those years ago. We've got fancy electronic ones now for prototype stuff and one-offs and everything else is done on computer for screen printing...
TRE4U2NV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRE4U2NV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2008 at 5:33pm
The preamp back in the day was a tool in the art of the clash all started with blue spot grams[blaunkpaunt] that had been modified to do something different than another mans blue spot from changing values of valves adding smoothing valves changing the tuner input to be a mic input and music mix this is where the so called black art of preamps came from so it was not likely that you wanted another man to know what you did to your blue spot so you covered the panels or made generic boxes for them [if the  wife let you destroy the front room focal piece ] the next thing was to scratch all the title of records that you would play with and rename them what you wanted so another man couldn,t go to the shop and buy that tune after you killed him in a clash early clashes the rave went from house to house but you never bought you sound just records there was a lot of sculdugary in those days to get the biggest following .
my point being no sound man worth his weight would tell you anything about his sound
even in the event of your sound system being stolen they would get no helping hand in how to use it if stolen by marking inputs output and layouts most stolen preamps turn up years later to the maker or modifier
tubbys does not mark the box he uses that sits above his pre/or tell you frequency of said items nor does john meyer but you likes it you buy it simple as
you still cant ask most proper soundmen about his sound systems this is probably why regaee sound systems dont make good advertising material because the basically dont want you to know what they use
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heathrow_B_line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2008 at 5:38pm
so basically your saying that your secretive but you can tell us why?

Big%20smile
Capt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Capt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2008 at 6:10pm
Ok TRE, interesting story bout those blue spots..

but now that you already told us.. what do you mean by 'phase switchs' or '24 and 48dB roll offs'? Smile
jethrocker View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jethrocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2008 at 8:24pm
Trev.. so the 10 band para is 10 indiuvidual sweepable bands with fixed boost/Q, or do the 10 graphic pots act as boost cut for each sweepable band? If it's the latter I can imagine it would be quite tricky to get a sweet response as even narrow band will interact alot when sepwt around and cut/boosted a fair bit. An octave band is not very wide for anything but a fairly narrow peak, which would not be so useful for tuning up the sound.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 85>