Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Budget Soundsystem with Turbosound

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 22>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2017 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by Futendra Futendra wrote:

I also don't like the idea that I have to make MORE of a different kind of cabinet to get close to the size of the W-bins. 

??? what do you mean? I wasn't suggesting two-way bass solution, just some sub designs that came to my mind that have been discussed in the DIY community and received good feedback from users.  

I definitely do not want drivers exposed. We will throw hard parties with them, and I want to avoid them getting damaged because of drinks. They will be an absolute beast with quite a lot of power for the space, without any driver exposed.

all suggested designs have the driver inside the enclosure, not directly mounted on a front baffle. If you do a proper build, you should always add professional grade grill + protective foam, so it's a moot point regardless…. Ouch Beer

I restate my opinion, based on personal experience: wbins are not worth the trouble, there are much better designs these days
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2017 at 8:34pm
admittedly the 186 sounds gash above about 150hz but in my experience [ive used w bins alot btw]  the w bins sound about the same up there tbh
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
Futendra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Futendra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2017 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by bob4 bob4 wrote:

??? what do you mean? I wasn't suggesting two-way bass solution, just some sub designs that came to my mind that have been discussed in the DIY community and received good feedback from users. 

We haven't made any cabinets yet. It would be our first time making them. So we have the choice to make 6 W-bins, or 12 of something else, just to be able to physically fit the tops on them.

Originally posted by bob4 bob4 wrote:

all suggested designs have the driver inside the enclosure, not directly mounted on a front baffle. If you do a proper build, you should always add professional grade grill + protective foam, so it's a moot point regardless…. Ouch Beer

I restate my opinion, based on personal experience: wbins are not worth the trouble, there are much better designs these days

Yes, the driver is inside an enclosure, but they are still exposed. W-bins have no exposed drivers. Can someone explain to me why everyone thinks W-bins are "not worth the trouble"? All soundsystems I have heard with W-bins were sounding fine.

Originally posted by Mark James Mark James wrote:

my 8 soon to be 10 186 owe me less than 3000 euros at a push lol think more like 2500 so far :-) [about 150 quid a cab so far lol] probably more like 2000 eauros lol

The issue is also that I can only fit three Flashlights on top of two 186 horns, So I'd need to have an awkward amount of three 186 horns in order to fit the four Flashlights, which will also look very awkward.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2017 at 8:57pm
just build something similar to the bins that the flash was meant to be used with? ie build 6 double es18/usb? id be more worried what it sounds like than what it looks like tbh i mean 12 w bins might look good but it isnt something id be building, altho saying that what do i know i only got rid of ours lol
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2017 at 9:25pm

Originally posted by madboffin madboffin wrote:

I'm not sure this is a good idea.

Well, it is meant for playing outside to small groups of people usually directly in front of the speakers... I don't need the sound to spread that much. The less spread the better, actually.

If this is what you are hoping to achieve then Flashlight would be the worst possible cabinet for the job---Just buy or build direct radiating cabinets and forget about horn loaded longthrow boxes.
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2017 at 9:45pm
ok this is a teknival style thing he's going for i think.. so it'll be a mono stack, so 4 flash are probably quite good on a mono lump.
Futendra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Futendra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2017 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by Robbo Robbo wrote:

Originally posted by madboffin madboffin wrote:

I'm not sure this is a good idea.

Well, it is meant for playing outside to small groups of people usually directly in front of the speakers... I don't need the sound to spread that much. The less spread the better, actually.

If this is what you are hoping to achieve then Flashlight would be the worst possible cabinet for the job---Just buy or build direct radiating cabinets and forget about horn loaded longthrow boxes.

It's the only tops that are available, as I really do not want to build tops myself. So I will go for them for sure, I just need a lot of punch and volume, really.

just build something similar to the bins that the flash was meant to be used with? ie build 6 double es18/usb? id be more worried what it sounds like than what it looks like tbh i mean 12 w bins might look good but it isnt something id be building, altho saying that what do i know i only got rid of ours lol

We'd only build 6 W-bins. That means buying 6 drivers. Making a usb or es18 would mean 2 drivers for the same space taken. That would mean more money spent to get to the correct height to get the Flashlights on.

Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

ok this is a teknival style thing he's going for i think.. so it'll be a mono stack, so 4 flash are probably quite good on a mono lump.

Exactly. I do want them to be able to go stereo though, as I would like to play some psytrance and stuff with it too.

Edited by Futendra - 20 February 2017 at 9:51pm
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2017 at 9:55pm
Anyone who has heard Flashlight outdoors will confirm that it can throw for miles so it will be a lot louder in the nearest village than directly in front of the cabinets--so if you want to be providing dance music to attract the local constabulary it is ideal but then it is the wrong cabinet for the use stated by the OP.
Futendra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Futendra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2017 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by Robbo Robbo wrote:

Anyone who has heard Flashlight outdoors will confirm that it can throw for miles so it will be a lot louder in the nearest village than directly in front of the cabinets--so if you want to be providing dance music to attract the local constabulary it is ideal but then it is the wrong cabinet for the use stated by the OP.

This might be a really newbie question, but wont tilting them downwards help a lot?
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2017 at 10:04pm
sounds like he wants w bins despite them not being suitable for the situation so just get w bins if thats what you think looks right, what sounds good you want it for looks lol by the sounds lol i prefer to use what sounds good [clue is in the name sound system] but if what looks good is more important why ask for advice on here? 
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2017 at 10:06pm
and yes some tilt and splay [correctly applied] will help a bit here but they are mostly for long throw apps tbh nice cabs tho id go for double es18s tbh and there are plenty of cheap driveers that would work well, using twice as many wont make it louder just cover a wider area thats the whole point of a narrow dispersion mid top it doesnt get louder with more cabs just covers mroe area
Futendra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Futendra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2017 at 10:10pm

sounds like he wants w bins despite them not being suitable for the situation so just get w bins if thats what you think looks right, what sounds good you want it for looks lol by the sounds lol i prefer to use what sounds good [clue is in the name sound system] but if what looks good is more important why ask for advice on here? 

But other than "it wont be good" I still haven't heard why exactly it is not suitable? I am indeed very interested in how it looks, but most of all I just want it to stack properly. With most other suggestions, I am only able to fit 3 Turbosounds on top of them, while I will have 4 and want to be able to have a stereo setup.

and yes some tilt and splay [correctly applied] will help a bit here but they are mostly for long throw apps tbh nice cabs tho id go for double es18s tbh and there are plenty of cheap driveers that would work well, using twice as many wont make it louder just cover a wider area thats the whole point of a narrow dispersion mid top it doesnt get louder with more cabs just covers mroe area

I've been looking at a double USB design that might be good with them, but it will definately cost almost double the money, which is a problem...

Edited by Futendra - 20 February 2017 at 10:14pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 22>