Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Budget Soundsystem with Turbosound

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 22>
Author
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2017 at 6:45pm
With that config you should be able to cross from TMS3 to the subs around 70-80, so as long as the box is within 1 to 2m of the others they'll couple, regardless of orientation.
Futendra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Futendra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2017 at 4:04am
Originally posted by shagnasty shagnasty wrote:

Stack 1 with a little spaly would be best.

How much splay would be ideal? We're thinking we might buy 2 more TMS-3's in the future, and just splay 4 of those on there.

If you portrait TMS-3s you have a VERY narrow HF coverage.

Yeah, exactly, heard that recently and I didn't like it. It sounded fine with a stack of four, though.

I suspect your bins will work better in that config too....

How come the bins would work better?

4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2017 at 2:20pm
I would try x2 wide x4 high with subs on their sides and tms3 on top, splay subs and the tms3 approx 30cm at front with backs touching. Then tilt the tms3 forward to suit. It will need some ingenuity to get the 3s that high but will sound plump..

Edited by 4D - 23 April 2017 at 2:21pm
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
Futendra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Futendra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2017 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by 4D 4D wrote:

I would try x2 wide x4 high with subs on their sides and tms3 on top, splay subs and the tms3 approx 30cm at front with backs touching. Then tilt the tms3 forward to suit. It will need some ingenuity to get the 3s that high but will sound plump..

Each TMS-3 weighs 136 kg, I don't want to lift them that high up, it's too much of a risk...
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2017 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Futendra Futendra wrote:

Stack 1 with a little spaly would be best.

How much splay would be ideal? We're thinking we might buy 2 more TMS-3's in the future, and just splay 4 of those on there.

If you portrait TMS-3s you have a VERY narrow HF coverage.

Yeah, exactly, heard that recently and I didn't like it. It sounded fine with a stack of four, though.

Yep, 4 is the min for portrait, we used to do 8 as 4x2 with the HF section splayed by 4"s and coupled, we called it "death stacking" strapping it was a nightmare as you have no access to the fly points to lock straps into, VERY high SPL, but getting a 136KG box 2200mm in the air without forks is a skill to say the least...

I suspect your bins will work better in that config too....

How come the bins would work better?

All the mouths in 1 long line has to give a bit of power over then coupled as 2 lines....

shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2017 at 4:14pm

Each TMS-3 weighs 136 kg, I don't want to lift them that high up, it's too much of a risk...

To get any real HiFi you need the HF driver at least 300mm above head height, as Ford siad you can then either angle down (small gigs 2 boxes) or angle up (bigger gigs, more boxes).

If you can get your hands on the Fly point couplers they make strapping down very safe and easy...
Futendra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Futendra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2017 at 4:24pm

To get any real HiFi you need the HF driver at least 300mm above head height, as Ford siad you can then either angle down (small gigs 2 boxes) or angle up (bigger gigs, more boxes).

If you can get your hands on the Fly point couplers they make strapping down very safe and easy...

As it will be used for harder genre's I think most people will be right in front of the soundsystem anyways, so just above head height would be ideal to spread the HF

What is the best way to angle them up or down? Sounds risky to me currently, but I have no experience with stacking yet.

This is our future-goal plan:

toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2017 at 4:31pm
You will get comb filtering galore about 2-3m from the stacks and beyond in that setup.
Futendra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Futendra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2017 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

You will get comb filtering galore about 2-3m from the stacks and beyond in that setup.

How so?

Note that they will be splayed, but it is hard to visualize the splay with just GIMP.
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2017 at 5:09pm
I really would put them all portrait, you will never have enough space to play a 4 wide landscape stack, as toasty says, you will get some horrific barking noises as shown.

A 2x2 TMS tacks with the HF on the outside and a 125mm spacer to up-angle the top pair would work loads better than as shown.

Futendra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Futendra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2017 at 5:15pm

I really would put them all portrait, you will never have enough space to play a 4 wide landscape stack, as toasty says, you will get some horrific barking noises as shown.

A 2x2 TMS tacks with the HF on the outside and a 125mm spacer to up-angle the top pair would work loads better than as shown.

That sounds really dangerous and near impossible without a forklift...
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2017 at 6:43pm

We did try telling you tms3 were real mens boxes, designed for big venues.. Getting them up is easy its down after an all nighter with a mashed crew that would be truly entertaining

Hand powered hoists are useful..Especially if the budget won't run to a large crew...

Here's one of mine in action with a tsw21

DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 22>