Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

8" sub cabinet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2017 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by Padde298 Padde298 wrote:

Originally posted by odc04r odc04r wrote:

Well that is certainly a fun looking project and a break from the norm of rectangular boxes. Maybe I should start thinking about stealing work's 3D printer on weekends
Everybody can build square boxes, and God knows the web is filled with them! I'm trying to design a loudspeaker system which not just sounds good, but also look interesting! Having a 3D printer at hand certainly helps when the goal is like mine...Wink

Having aesthetic designs are popular in the High-End (Not Audiophile) Audio Market.  

Best Regards, 

Elliot Thompson
Padde298 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padde298 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2017 at 7:02pm
Don't know how to interpret your post...
So if you care about the design of your system, you probably don't care much for the sound quality..? On the other hand, as long as it sounds good, the looks doesn't matter..?
If this is your opinion, I clearly doesn't agree...
I hope to have got your message wrong.
LOUDER!!! MO BASS
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2017 at 1:51am
Originally posted by Padde298 Padde298 wrote:

Don't know how to interpret your post...
So if you care about the design of your system, you probably don't care much for the sound quality..? On the other hand, as long as it sounds good, the looks doesn't matter..?
If this is your opinion, I clearly doesn't agree...

I hope to have got your message wrong.

High End Audio focuses on an exotic look with good sound quality. Your design follows the same principal.

Take gander yourself

https://www.higherfi.com/speakers?page=all

The majority of us are in sound reinforcement. Durability when the loudspeaker is being tossed in a vehicle and transported to various venues holds more value to us secondly, to sound quality. We have to take into consideration the enclosure may drop down a flight of stairs by slippery hands. In addition to what is stated previously, the cabinets need to meet certain dimensions when placing multiple loudspeakers in a vehicle for transport. 

Best Regards,   

Elliot Thompson
Padde298 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padde298 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2017 at 5:23am
OK,I get your point.
Speakerplans.com is of course a PA focused forum... Seen from this fact, your initial statement suddenly makes sense to me.
LOUDER!!! MO BASS
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2017 at 11:54am
I'd say that high end gear focuses on looks simply to differentiate the product from the competition and partly justify the product price tags. It's a lot harder to compete in terms of engineering in that market, in many ways audio engineering has not moved on a lot in the last few decades. Most of the advances have come in areas that don't benefit the home listener much as they do not need the SPL or efficiency. So you must set your product apart in another way, and if that actually helps reduce cabinet resonances or makes them cheaper to fabricate then so much the better at the same time.
Padde298 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padde298 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2017 at 10:45am
The tops are slowly coming along as to finish. The mounting of the Chromecast Audio, the 230 to 5 volt module (for the Chromecast), the SMPS and the class D TPA3118 PBTL Mono Digital Audio Amplifier..:

LOUDER!!! MO BASS
audiomik View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiomik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2017 at 11:39am
re: "I am working on a "SONOS-Killer" project, and have come to the subwoofer part of the project. I have 2 pcs 8 inch units for the job. Is there any chance there is a plan for a compact enclosure, ported, bandpass or the like that will fit my project?"

Have you considered an IB enclosure with Linquitz compensation for extended Bass frequency output? Yhis will certainly meet your request for a compact enclosure.

WinISD will provide you with the filter correction graph andn you don't get the attendant phase shifts as with ported designs

Mik
Warning! May contain Nuts
plus springs, washers, screws, etc, etc.
Padde298 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padde298 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2017 at 11:47am
IB enclosure..? Please DO explain...Stern Smile

BR
Peter
LOUDER!!! MO BASS
audiomik View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiomik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2017 at 12:03pm
look up "Linkwitz Transform" using a search engine as there is considerable information on this all over the internet and much better than I can describe.

Mik
Warning! May contain Nuts
plus springs, washers, screws, etc, etc.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2017 at 12:11pm
IB = infinite baffle, Linkwitz compensation = rising low pass boost to offset driver SPL falloff mounted in such a way

Tops look like nice work, how are you going to implement a crossover considering you have one mono board per enclosure - passives?
Padde298 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padde298 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2017 at 12:28pm
Yes, passive.Thumbs Up
The 3" mid/bas will roll off by it self, and a simple 6 dB/oct for the 1" dome. I have done quite a few listening test with this x-over, and it seems to me that a x-over point of app. 2.500 Hz for the dome will work good. Smile
The 3" slave works fine in this size enclosure. The earlier versions was done in a smaller cabinet, which caused the slave unit to "overload".
I have the miniDSP UMIK-1, but have not made any measurements in Room EQ Wizard for this combination yet. 
I'm a KISS kind of guy, and if it sounds good it's probably not all wrong...Clap
LOUDER!!! MO BASS
Padde298 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padde298 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2017 at 12:35pm
Is it possible to buy a circuit board for making a Linkwitz compensation? I realize that the components are given by the calculation for the driver, but getting hands on the finished board would certainly help in the process.
Does it work with infinite baffles only, or can it be done with ported and sealed also?
LOUDER!!! MO BASS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>