Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

200w beam lamp strike issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuclearbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 200w beam lamp strike issue
    Posted: 28 February 2017 at 11:05am
Hi guys, we've some of the Chinese special sharpy beam copies, serv d us well to be fair to them, one has started with an issue where the lamp will go off, of its turned off then trailhead back on it fires up fine but will again go off, which part of the fixture is most likely to be causing this issue does any one know?

I'm thinking it's not a thermal issue as it will quite happily fire back up on restart and last a while before it cuts out again

Here's rich
one life - have fun!
Force fusion pro audio
B_Bender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B_Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2017 at 3:59pm
could be the thermal sensor cutting the lamp out, maybe it's dislodged or just chinese?
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2017 at 4:10pm
If there is a thermal sensor wire a neon lamp across it, that will light up if it opens.

First thing I would do is swap the lamp with another fixture to check it is a dodgy lamp.

there are (in real terms) only 4 components in a arc lamp system, the lamp, an ignitor, the ballast and a PFC cap, the later can fail and will not cause the fault you are talking about, the ballast is a lump of iron and copper so unlikely to fail so you are left with the lamp or the igniter.

nuclearbass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuclearbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2017 at 9:32pm
I'll try another lamp, although this lamp is brand new.
one life - have fun!
Force fusion pro audio
nuclearbass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuclearbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2017 at 10:09pm
one life - have fun!
Force fusion pro audio
James Tengo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2017 at 10:39pm
Check fans working properly, just as common as a duff sensor. Check lamp terminals.
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2017 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by shagnasty shagnasty wrote:

If there is a thermal sensor wire a neon lamp across it, that will light up if it opens.

First thing I would do is swap the lamp with another fixture to check it is a dodgy lamp.

there are (in real terms) only 4 components in a arc lamp system, the lamp, an ignitor, the ballast and a PFC cap, the later can fail and will not cause the fault you are talking about, the ballast is a lump of iron and copper so unlikely to fail so you are left with the lamp or the igniter.

5R lamps  ( and all other UHP lamps) exclusively use switch mode PSU's rather than conventional ballasts - even in all the chinese fittings. So, unfortunately rather more complex to diagnose compared with a reactive system.

My guess is a fan fault ( these usually have a fan each side of the lamp - are both pushing in the same direction?, then a small centrifugal blower firing directly onto the arc tube - is this running? Thermal sensors can fail - but ive yet to have any issues with these, and have dozens and dozens of these units now around 5 years old ( and incidentally have to be one of the most reliable lighting fittings i've ever stocked ( and ill include clay paky, SGM, VL and martin in that !!)

“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2017 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by nuclearbass nuclearbass wrote:

is it a branded lamp or a no name cheapy?

Edited by imageoven - 01 March 2017 at 10:52pm
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
 Post Reply Post Reply