FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TH-18 build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2017 at 12:12pm
Did a gig last month with two TH18 + the mid/highs, and it sounded pretty good (but not good enough LOL). Response was pretty flat, except <100 Hz, because I like some extra low. Output of the overall system was nice!

The drivers in the TH18 will be replaced with the 4 Ohm 18sw115, because now I have a PL380.
Also bought a PL340 for the 12NW76, I only need a 1he amp for the DE800's.
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2017 at 3:19pm
I know that one of the goals for the TH-18 was to reach 100 Hz, but at full output, my own mid/highs lack a bit of low. Just the 80 to 100 Hz punch isn't there (att the max of the system). 

I also need a smaller cab for the smaller gigs, sure I can build a random cabinet, but it would be nice if the hole system could be used together. 
Just a single 15" reflex is still an option, tuned at 40 ish Hz or so.
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2017 at 10:08pm
" don't even know where the Cubo comment comes from?"

The Cubo designs all have much worse peaks near the upper end of the passband, yet no one complains about them.
djk
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2017 at 5:39pm
I was asking about Cubo kicks
They are similar to the topic box.
Xoc1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xoc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2017 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by _djk_ _djk_ wrote:

So all Cubo subs are junk?
Do you not own an EQ?

I don't even know where the Cubo comment comes from? Nothing wrong with Cubos - I even helped draw up the Cubo Sub plans...
When I designed the TH18 I was trying to aim for an extended mid response, to make it easier to match different mid top cabinets.
Regardless not many builders seen to run them above 100hz anyway, which means that some mid tops are struggling to match them. Smitske said he was trying to design some cabs to fit on top of the TH18 boxes and maybe only for the mid highs - Depending on the bandwidth he wanted, I don't see the sense in designing a cab that would have a peak in the top of the passband it was being used in and having to EQ it back out.

Do I own an EQ?
Well I have an well sorted Ecler Sclat 100 for DJ use.
A Soundcraft UI 24R is my current live sound mixer, and a I run a tweaked DCX2496 on my PA.  Is that enough EQ for you?
- Xoc1

mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2017 at 3:01pm
Noooo.... cubos are more musical then That! My 15s played nicely when I was using them

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2017 at 1:45pm
Dont Cubos play everything "on the same note"?

If front is square you could place ports horizontaly and speakers vertically if they dont fit. Or use tube ports.
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2017 at 12:35pm
The range will be 40/45 ish to 140/150 ish. 
Maybe get rid of the two front parts that are 10 cm wide, then the slot will be a little bit shorter.

_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2017 at 10:25pm
"I think that depending on the requncy range you are planning for the mid range cab the slot loading will add a peak just where you dont want it."

So all Cubo subs are junk?

Do you not own an EQ?

The peak is less than what you will see on a small folded horn (or a Cubo).

Edited by _djk_ - 03 October 2017 at 10:25pm
djk
Xoc1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xoc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2017 at 9:16pm
I think that depending on the requncy range you are planning for the mid range cab the slot loading will add a peak just where you dont want it.
I cant help thinking that a more gentle angle might work better like a manifold speaker loading (an inverted piramid baffle with the 2  15inch drivers on opposing sides of the piramid)
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2017 at 7:50pm
There will be a small peak corresponding to the depth of the cavity, probably around 160hz~180hz.
djk
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2017 at 7:12pm
I also started with designing a dual 15 cab for on top of the TH18 or only with the mid-highs.
It has tot have a small frontal area (as wide as the TH18) so 571x571 is the target.

I simulated it as a reflex cab, but I can imagine that there can be a bandpass effect?
Cab is tuned at 43 Hz, and I am planning to go with a push pull configuration.

Topview:

(line's are a little bit crooked because of the conversion by dropbox)

This is still a quick sketch and with this arrangement, it will be a little hard with fitting the drivers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>