Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TH-18 build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2017 at 10:11pm
they look excellent. are the grills flat, and screwed to battens?
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2017 at 9:38am
They are screwed to 18mm baltic birch strips. In the middle there's an allen screw with s spacer between the cab, and the grill. Was needed because the grill itself is not flat because of the perforation, so that fixes it.
Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2017 at 5:59pm
I am so jelous about your finish, really pro look, we  ended bulding the second pair of th18 last week but i think it's gonna be summer before we come to paint them.
Allready had two parties with the new ones though, four inside produce such a smile...
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2017 at 6:35pm
Another pair is on the planning (some day LOL)
First is a new (more) compact cab, probably reflex.
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2017 at 4:34pm
To fit foam to the grills you need 3Ms "Scotchweld 77".  Cut the foam slightly oversize. Then spray the rear of the grill NOT the foam. Then press foam in place.  and trim excess.

DON'T use any other spray adhesive
. Most produce a "spiders web" effect across the perforations which will be visible when the foam is fitted. The scotchweld 77 doesn't.

Edited by markie - 19 December 2017 at 4:34pm
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2017 at 6:43pm
That's just brilliant!

Simple, effective, attention to the fine detail and the function instead of Yet Another Bloody Spaceship.
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2017 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by markie markie wrote:

To fit foam to the grills you need 3Ms "Scotchweld 77".  Cut the foam slightly oversize. Then spray the rear of the grill NOT the foam. Then press foam in place.  and trim excess.

DON'T use any other spray adhesive
. Most produce a "spiders web" effect across the perforations which will be visible when the foam is fitted. The scotchweld 77 doesn't.

At the moment I used Bison glue, looks allot like the scotchweld stuff. 
I applied the same as you said, but still keeps coming lose when I turn it up a little.

MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2017 at 7:44pm
Yeah, it never cures 100%, so the foam can be easily removed. We dot the foam from behind with superglue for the subs after we glue is with spray77. That keeps it in place for long time.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Russellsoundsolution View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russellsoundsolution Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2018 at 10:23pm
Heyo! First of all LOVE the build!

About to start a build of basically the same boxes -I'm going with the Faital Pro 18HW1070 drivers... Just a set of 2 to start.

Overall are you happy with the results? I'm doing this build to replace 2 qsc KW181 as I was not happy with the overall output.  I have 2 QSC KW153 for tops now and the 181 just did not keep up.

I plan on driving these with a QSC PLD 4.5 running it 2 channels @ 4ohm  which will give me my 1600w continuous and a 2400w peak 100hz low pass rolling it off around 36-38 or so. 

Any advice or input as I venture into this? I already have the drivers and a buddy is going to have the wood cuts done on a CNC machine. 

http://www.faitalpro.com/en/products/LF_Loudspeakers/product_details/index.php?id=201070138

https://www.qsc.com/live-sound/products/power-amplifiers/pld-series/pld45/

Edited by Russellsoundsolution - 12 January 2018 at 10:24pm
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2018 at 9:03am
Maybe the only thing I would have done different, is the paint job.
Now I did it with a roller, but spraying gives a more professional finish.
Russellsoundsolution View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russellsoundsolution Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2018 at 10:47am
Originally posted by smitske96 smitske96 wrote:

Maybe the only thing I would have done different, is the paint job.
Now I did it with a roller, but spraying gives a more professional finish.

Happy with the output? -How much power ya throwing at them? 

smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2018 at 11:58am
Qsc pl380 powering them 4 Ohm.
3 weeks and then I can use them to their full potential.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>