FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SBH vs LAB horn, pros and cons

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SBH vs LAB horn, pros and cons
    Posted: 15 April 2021 at 5:48pm
Always see SBH's being sold on Facebook.

From what I was told on FB page I started on the subject, people got sucked in by the impressive sims, and realized real life performance was nothing like them.

Never seen that before...

Edited by levyte357- - 15 April 2021 at 5:49pm
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
smoore View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2021 at 9:55pm
As others have suggested, lab horn is more of a sub to be used with kick (I think USB was designed to fit above it). SBH is a more all in one bass bin. Both sound great! Have heard them both run by many different people and almost always both sounded good.
Distort98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Distort98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2021 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by bee bee wrote:

@ Bob4 I also done a heavey modded version.

Hi, do you have any plans for the modded SBH? I have 4 standard SBH and they cover sub duty with ease off a k20. It would be interesting to see what internal differences there are and how they affect the bins sensitivity, response and SPL.

Cheers
Distort98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Distort98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2021 at 12:18pm

Edited by Distort98 - 09 April 2021 at 12:25pm
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2017 at 10:57pm

Dual 15 tapped horn vs Lab12

djk
Kieranearth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kieranearth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2017 at 10:11pm
Thanks Elliot well I'm in the process of purchasing 4labs and 2 USB so I'm thinking 30-80 and let the USB take it from there hoping to build 7 more labs as I've read they work best coupled in 6s or 12's I might be wrong just regurgitating info but thanks for info.
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2017 at 9:33pm

The Lab Sub was designed to play from 80 Hz – 28 Hz in groups of four. It was not designed to play above 80 Hz hence, having very little output above 85 Hz. As with any box that plays low, you need a strong low mid/mid bass in order to give the audience the aggressive frequencies in which many of them are accustomed to hearing. So you either your tops are going to fill in the void or inserting some kick bins in the scenario.  

The link APW provided offers 38 pages of information not solely directed to the Super Horn. It appears to be smaller than Minimaxial’s Terra Horn. Without measured results, it is up in the air if the box can indeed achieve 30 Hz. With such a large driver taking up a good amount of space the Super Horn may not go as low as the Lab Sub and/or Minimaxial’s Terra Horn. 

With the characteristics of PD 1850 loudspeaker, I would imagine the level of SPL would be higher than the LAB 12 drivers from 80 Hz on up. As the Super Horn appears (from the naked eye) to be smaller than the Terra Horn, you should achieve more mid bass out the Super Horn than the Lab Sub.  

Best Regards,   

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 28 March 2017 at 9:35pm
Elliot Thompson
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2017 at 9:24pm
@ Bob4 I also done a heavey modded version.
https://www.elements-audio.com
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2017 at 8:16pm
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2017 at 8:15pm
Search the forum for startec super bass horn. But i think there are two versions, original and a supposedly improved version from someone (mayne amano?) else with different folding
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2017 at 8:10pm
I never heard of the Super Bass Horn. Possibly offer a link with the topology behind the Super Bass Horn in order to get some feedback.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
Kieranearth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kieranearth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2017 at 1:19pm
Super bass horn vs lab horn

What's everyone's opinions and does anyone have any technical specs or data for both

Thanks kieran
 Post Reply Post Reply