Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pro light & Sound @ Messe, 2017.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GorillaAudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pro light & Sound @ Messe, 2017.
    Posted: 04 April 2017 at 11:42pm
It's that time of year again and once more, my desire to not be in the UK for winter has dictated that Im still not going to make it this year. Soo, who's there and what products are looking/sounding good this year?

Seen a few launch videos and papers on what look to be a few good products from a number of Audio manufacturer's this year. Thoughts and photos would be appreciated
Finjby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finjby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2017 at 5:07pm
Not had the chance to go this year sadly,  but it seems a few big names are releasing new stuff.

Just been looking at Martin Audio's website.....  new budget arrays/subs/monitors, and yet another OEM of Linea Research's new amp platform, now in black 'Martin iKON' costume.

The waveguide on the new XE monitors look interesting, plus it has the 'Oscar Pistorius' extendable feet like the L'Acoustics X15.

Don't think anyone has reinvented the wheel again this year though,    anyone on here visiting??

Mircea Bartic View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mircea Bartic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2017 at 10:26pm
I'm there. Not much new unfortunately.

The liitle stick column speakers and mini line arrays seem to be the new craziness this year.

There are some pictures on my company's facebook page. Unfortunately the comments are in Romanian.

I will post more pictures tomorrow and the day after that

Edited by Mircea Bartic - 05 April 2017 at 10:30pm
general manager & head designer at nexus-acoustics research
http://www.facebook.com/nexus.acoustics.research

Ex Nexus_3
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2017 at 11:45pm
Popping by tomorrow and Friday, bit annoyed I missed the off site Alcons demo as that new LR18 got a ridiculously good write up in Production Partner. Mostly networking and ticking things off the list for us this year mind, nothing really stand out that's must see - we already own the newest Void stuff and the newest Danley bits so it's 'boring' things like consoles, hardware, commercial/install stuff and software on my agenda woooooooo

The Martin wedges are on my radar mind, will be sure to give feedback on both options. I hope they have a roaming mic you can poke at them but somehow I doubt it

Edited by toastyghost - 05 April 2017 at 11:46pm
GorillaAudio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GorillaAudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2017 at 4:29am
I'm mildy interested in L-Acoustics's p1 unit. I guess the thinking with that is that system Engineers will use that to line drive their systems instead of Lake's etc.

In regards to Martin, if the wedges are anything like the cdd speakers, which it looks like they are, they'll be very good. Driver and layout wise, the line arrays are exactly the same as mla mini and compact, just in slightly cheaper boxes, without amps built in and named very badly. So again, I have no doubt they'll sound great, I'm only interested in how much cheaper than the MLA equivalent they are. I have absolutely no idea why they've released another 'new' sub for it. Once again it's just a ws218x with a different name. They must be selling about 5-6 different versions of it at the moment all under different names.

George C - www.gorilla-audio.co.uk
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2017 at 4:42am
Yeah that was my thinking for their systems but it'll have to have some serious support to dislodge it. I mean LANM isn't exactly amazing but it is easier than Lake's ancient mess!

I get why they don't (because they like money) but frankly an Armonia front end would be a winner, with all the FIRmaker / SMAART / groups and other upcoming stuff I can't bloody talk about.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GorillaAudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2017 at 7:00am
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Yeah that was my thinking for their systems but it'll have to have some serious support to dislodge it. I mean LANM isn't exactly amazing but it is easier than Lake's ancient mess!

I get why they don't (because they like money) but frankly an Armonia front end would be a winner, with all the FIRmaker / SMAART / groups and other upcoming stuff I can't bloody talk about.

I very much agree with you. I even recall myself asking a Powersoft Rep, and also talking with Rich at CUK about them producing a DSP Unit in the past before. Something like 4 in, 8 out analog, 12 in 12 out AES, with Dante etc would be the one. I'm having to use Lakes all the time over here at the minute, Its so clunky compared to Armonia. The most frustrating thing is the new Lake software will only support the LM Processors and FP amps, so as we still have loads of DLP's (which for the most part are actually better than the LM's) we cant run Lake any higher than v5.8, that in turn doesnt like running on anything higher than window's 7, so they can be a right pain and all. 

MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2017 at 11:16pm
So, it was an extremely busy show for me and i had to miss few of you there. Kyle including. Sorry mate.
As for the systems.
Rcf was sounding way better then any other year.
F1 tops were a bit muddy and mid aggressive at the same time.
But boy did they do a good job with the subs.
Massive basssss.

As for the Danley, well, in short, i didnt liked it one bit.
I even wrote to them after i heard the demo first day. 
Tops were totally undefined, subs were there, but not really there.
Too much low mid was coming out of then. 
I run my portable spectrum analyzer thingy, and it confirmed way too much 125hz.
Songs they chose for the demo could not have possibly be worse.

TW-audio was as a whole the most complete system of them all.
Harmonic Design tops was a real revelation for me. I never heard of them and those small tops really made my day at the third day when i heard them.

That is it from me.

Edited by MarjanM - 08 April 2017 at 11:29pm
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2017 at 9:02am
Yeah unfortunately the Danley was disappointing.
Our gang we're also were blown away by the Harmonic development's one small box per side Hang.
The other impressive rig was the Axiom one with the tall skinny strip tops.

Edited by Shortrope - 09 April 2017 at 9:03am
My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GorillaAudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2017 at 11:06am
Interesting to hear, The Danley system is one of the ones i'd ave been most interested in hearing and all. 
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2017 at 12:25pm
hey

yeah I've only really had a chance to look into the martin stuff, had been keeping my eye on it since they put their wee symbols up on the website. 

Had been expecting a new amp platform, though had thought it would be with powersoft like their last amps, the switch to linea research was a little surprise (though they may well have been working with them for a while with their active amp modules, not sure who's been OEMing them). 

I had also been expecting new wedges based around their CCD drivers, but the big surprise was that was their cheaper range of wedges, and they have a super premium set as well with a MUCH more complicated wave guide, looks like they'll be a direct competitor for M2 and M4, very much standards in all the live work I do these days. Would be very interested to compare. 

And yeah, interesting they made a passive version of the MLA compact and mini, and gave you the option of having different amounts of cabs for each amp channel, different levels of processing granularity. Not suite as tight processing as proper MLA where practically every driver is on its own processing channel, but still uses the same software so should still sound great. And the weight saving might make the difference in a lot of installs and smaller venues who can't fly active speakers with the weight of the amps built in. 

It seems to be a common thing with Danley speakers unfortunately. Kyle obviously uses them a lot these days and has great things to say about them, but at any trade show demos people seem to be less than impressed. Maybe just a transatlantic thing? Where the people setting them up (USA?) are used to a different sound than over here and set them up, EQ etc differently?

k

The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2017 at 9:26pm
Mixed comments basically, it was the Finnish distributor running the demo and I too feel the same way about the tune selection and general balance of the system. I'm not sure what the config was as it was their demo not ours but the subs normally wouldn't run above 80Hz and needed turning up a fair bit.

It was definitely better the last couple days mind, after we had given them some feedback. Using an X32 on stage probably didn't help, god knows why you wouldn't put a desk out front let alone use somemthing a little better. But again not my demo, can only offer feedback to them. The key things were there though, it had by far the most even coverage and held up best against the wind. I will be doing a UK demo or two soon as possible anyways so anybody this side of the world who wants to attend keep an eye out as I'll post it here, trying to arranage a demo day followed by an actual gig.

I know they had a hard time with noise limit which didn't seem to affect certain manufacturers so much? RCF were way, way over everyone else's volume level although it was by far the best demo in terms of content and result.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>