Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sae pqm13

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darkstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2017 at 1:19am
I have one from forum member Marjan, I use it to run the tops and it's an amazing amp in my opinion. It's very clean, it has heaps of headroom for what I'm using right and the knobs have an amazing feel and stealthy look you can almost forget about them.

I have to say mine is not stock though, as Marjan has made some changes to certain parts in the amp. 
Bass =/= Enough
ArthurG View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArthurG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2017 at 4:43am
Looks like SAE improved a lot the pqm13.
5 years ago, we bought 10 pcs to try it on the field (we did 3 events per week on average). The plan was to make an OEM version of it. To be polite, it was not a flawless experience. In less than 6 months, 8 of them had problems (power supply, knobs, stay in protect mode, etc)
Sound wise, lot of background noise, very poor mid-high sound quality but deep warm and powerful bass (put Lab.Gruppen FP10000 to shame in this area). One of the very few switching amp that delivers what it says when powering subs.

Edited by ArthurG - 12 April 2017 at 4:50am
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2017 at 6:02am
Originally posted by shagnasty shagnasty wrote:

Personally, I would love to hear a PKN but as not pro companies use them and they have no Pro dealer network in the UK, I can't.

I can go to LMC or similar and get demo kit, but PKN have no presence in the UK.

Gut thoughts, 1U is a massive mechanical liability, the  3 phase connector is a joke, but as I have never heard a bad word about the sound I would like to try one.

The PQM13 rocks and Bee has a real "Pro" user thing going on, whilst I see PKN probably can't afford Bee on-line, they need to appoint a Uk pro dealer and equip them with demo stock.

Given support and market penetration, SAE all day.

Blue Aran have exclusive distribution and support rights for PKN.
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2017 at 3:17pm
Which is a pain as they don't have the 3 Phase babies in for demo use...

The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2017 at 3:19pm
I don't think I've heard of a real 3 Phase unit in use on a show. Do they exist properly?
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2017 at 3:34pm
And there is my point, if they do exist, I feel the need to play.

It is total comon sense, 240V is gonna cause a lot more current draw than 415V and to do 8K@ 8r you need 250V rails, so you are litterally pulled speaker current from the mains!!!

kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2017 at 9:53pm

It is total comon sense, 240V is gonna cause a lot more current draw than 415V and to do 8K@ 8r you need 250V rails, so you are litterally pulled speaker current from the mains!!!

It's great in theory and should helps loads with an even current draw, but problem is that you need to have 3 phase at every venue. People in large pro companies who could guarentee 3 phase at every gig will have a well known brand amp (or manufacturers own like d&b etc) for rider acceptability, and the people who may actually buy a PKN would play in all sorts of smaller venues where 3 phase is probably in short supply. 

Powersoft seem to have the best idea at the moment, their new X series amps are auto switching, they can take 3 phase in when you have it, but will auto switch to single phase if they detect that's the power they're plugged into. 
Speaker Sol View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2017 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by kevinmcdonough kevinmcdonough wrote:

Powersoft seem to have the best idea at the moment, their new X series amps are auto switching, they can take 3 phase in when you have it, but will auto switch to single phase if they detect that's the power they're plugged into. 

The PKN will do this too. But like others here I have never seen one.

Edited by Speaker Sol - 13 April 2017 at 9:58pm
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2017 at 10:27pm

It's great in theory and should helps loads with an even current draw, but problem is that you need to have 3 phase at every venue. People in large pro companies who could guarentee 3 phase at every gig will have a well known brand amp (or manufacturers own like d&b etc) for rider acceptability, and the people who may actually buy a PKN would play in all sorts of smaller venues where 3 phase is probably in short supply. 

Not quite that simple, the mains connector is wired differently for three, two or single phase usage but the amp basically doesn't care. One of ours had a bad neutral and we didn't notice til the gig was over, the amp just shrugs it off! The roadshow they did to launch them was fun, amp turns off to standby mode at 55v, and ran fine playing tunes up to 525v when it did the same thing.

Then we ran it off DC.

Then we ran it off a speakon connector coming out of a K20's Ch1 output, playing a 50hz some wave into the K20. Then we played having sex MICHAEL JACKSON into the K20 and the X4 still worked and played a different track through the demo PA.

So yeah I can see why they're appealing to touring

We run ours off single phase all the time, they're as efficient as any other Powersoft so it's fine - technically you could leave a 3ph cable on the amp and use a custom labelled jump lead if you're bothered.

I think the PKN has a different wired connector too for single or three phase but it doesn't support quite as daft a range of power options as the distribution in X
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2017 at 11:59pm
Originally posted by ReubGold ReubGold wrote:

Would be good to see, how they cope on Reggae soundsystem, with pre-amp.

one of my demo racks spent many a gig on loan to reggae roast, it was there main rack on there stage at the v festival.

Allso they have been used by a fair few systems at nottinghill over the past few years as well as many other roots reggae crews too.. 
https://www.elements-audio.com
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2017 at 2:50am
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Not quite that simple, the mains connector is wired differently for three, two or single phase usage but the amp basically doesn't care. One of ours had a bad neutral and we didn't notice til the gig was over, the amp just shrugs it off! The roadshow they did to launch them was fun, amp turns off to standby mode at 55v, and ran fine playing tunes up to 525v when it did the same thing.

Then we ran it off DC.

Then we ran it off a speakon connector coming out of a K20's Ch1 output, playing a 50hz some wave into the K20. Then we played having sex MICHAEL JACKSON into the K20 and the X4 still worked and played a different track through the demo PA.

So yeah I can see why they're appealing to touring

We run ours off single phase all the time, they're as efficient as any other Powersoft so it's fine - technically you could leave a 3ph cable on the amp and use a custom labelled jump lead if you're bothered.

I think the PKN has a different wired connector too for single or three phase but it doesn't support quite as daft a range of power options as the distribution in X

OK

now you are at my level, having sex completely poverty mains connection.

"no Neutral, it shrugged if off" if you were in a single phase scenario you would have lost your gig, it anyone working for me "lost a neutral" they would have lost there teeth as start, knees next, these amps may well be great but have never toured, so by my standards, never gigged.

I know the Lab HPF series dominate touring now, but if you only have line array, quality left a while ago...

FK Vero uses Lab Grup, but they do use bass solution to mitigate that, but again, not been on tour yet, so not a PA system, still a "Sound System".

The tours I have been on, we carry MVAs of power, deliver to 2% and the ability to resolve comedysupplies (where my tooth hammer, get me the "sparks") is just so not relevant, even on small arena tours (IE all UK arenas) we see like 4% drift on line.

I kinda wanna like PKN, but as i said, no pro demo stock, means they are not pro gear to me, I can "demo" crappy little Vi 7000 if I want ( and if I had forklift) but PKN are in this country at retail level in real terms.

The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2017 at 5:43am
X series is on tour, it's used by Outline off the top of my head since launch amongst others. Cap Sound have racks of 3x X8 each
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>