Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Questions about starting a system

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zxcvbnm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Questions about starting a system
    Posted: 06 April 2017 at 7:31pm
Hi people. Me and a few friends are looking at starting a little sound system to play outdoors, Just trying to learn it etc and wondered if someone could answer a few questions? Would be playing faster kick drum genres

1. Is there any specific cab designed to faster genres? (Micro-Scoop was suggested to me?)
2. If said micro scoop is good for these genres then would a Fane Sovereign 15-600LF be good with this?
3. How hard actually is it to build you own cabs, Looking at building them as it seems cheaper but heard it seriously matters if theirs rattles etc.

That's all for now if anyone could clear these up it'd be appreciated :) (And any other advice in general)
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2017 at 7:56pm
for "faster kick drum genres" i would prefer front loaded horns tbh, bandpass horns if you like the F1 sound - a scoop (and other dedicated "subs") would only work well with a dedicated kick section which makes things more complicated than necessary for these genres imo

building aint that hard, specially if they dont need to be "perfect".. lots of pics/vids around to get an idea of what it takes to build cabinets..
TMH Music View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMH Music Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2017 at 8:44pm
Why not look at HD15, on this site? IMHO a stack of 4 of these, loaded with Kappa 15LF would make a good starting point for the sort of music you want to play. Also a reasonably easy build.
Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious
zxcvbnm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zxcvbnm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2017 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by TMH Music TMH Music wrote:

Why not look at HD15, on this site? IMHO a stack of 4 of these, loaded with Kappa 15LF would make a good starting point for the sort of music you want to play. Also a reasonably easy build.
On a relatively limited budget would two of these still be ok for starting out? Obviously just looking at getting something small to start
I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2017 at 10:18pm
Don't overlook reflex bins for size, simplicity and cost.
You don't get horn kudos, but they will fit in your bedroom/car and are ideal for most situations that don't call for a full scale PA rig. Plus, they'll​ work fine in a stack of one, which you can't say for all designs...
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2017 at 11:59pm
...tham15?

....upscaled mth30?

My tham12 has a pretty good "kick" to it and my mth30 kicks better then the tham12.

The tham15 will be louder and able to use in singles. An upscaled mth30 SHOULD "Slam" better... but im still working on that...
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Speaker Sol View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2017 at 7:11am
I agree that a small tapped horn would be a good option.

Cubo 15 is an easy build and flexible on driver choice.

However it is worth noting that building speakers isn't really cheaper than buying these days.

Good quality second hand gear or budget new gear is going to work put about the same.

If you have the skills and time you can get better results with a self build and it's great fun if you are looking for a project. Just dont go into it because you think its going to be cheap.

Cheap an easy would be some Thomann box pro self powered speakers. Plug and play.
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2017 at 8:18am
Originally posted by TMH Music TMH Music wrote:

+1 

a pair, and shortly thereafter a 4-pack of kappa15LF loaded HD15 was my second DIY bass system after a pair of simple 150L kappa 15" reflex bins. It was a big improvement for a negligible cabinet size increase. Loved the punch and was happy enough with the low extension (at that time I was still a lot into rock/metal, jungle/DnB, but also picking up interest in 70s dub, king tubby etc…).

I have to admit I haven't heard a Tapped horn at least knowingly; no idea about cubos either

EDIT: sizewise I think the HD15 is probably hard to beat. Both tham and cubo are bigger, but admittedly not excessively so. 

one thing I noticed while looking at tham and HD15 freq plots is the cutoff slope. At 46 Hz, the THAM is 99 dB sensitive, and starts to roll of at a very steep angle

The HD15 on the other hand has a same ballpark sensitivity between 45-50 Hz (100dB exactly at 50 Hz)

below this, the HD15 has a more shallow roll off, because it effectively works as a closed box. So below the cutoff frequency, it will actually have more bass than a THAM. In practice, indoors there will be room gain/loading/pressurization call it what you want, that under good conditions will help and boost the low bass further. 

The added bonus is the efficiency peak in the kick range. On the other hand this means that the kick range is more pronounced. This can be an advantage, but could also be off-balanced and undesirable. But you can always use an EQ to flatten the response a bit.

A single pair of HD15 will definitely get you started, but I'm sure that you will want to go for 4. 

Compare the designs, figure out for yourself if the size differences are significant for you (transport! smaller cabs are easier to fit in a car). cubo is 62 cm cubed; HD15 is 5 cm smaller in two dimensions, and 12cm narrower. With more cabs, the size difference adds up.

Edited by bob4 - 08 April 2017 at 8:46am
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2017 at 8:22am
Originally posted by zxcvbnm zxcvbnm wrote:

1. Is there any specific cab designed to faster genres? (Micro-Scoop was suggested to me?)

scoops are in general more suitable for sub. Because they radiate both directly, and delayed through the rear horn path, there is acoustic cancellation at certain frequencies with wavelengths proportional to the horn path length. These cancellations tend to fall into the kick range (depending on the size and horn length roughly between 80 - 150 Hz).

If you're looking for hard hitting kick, micro scoop is not the best option 
 Post Reply Post Reply