Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scoop Issue (Plays deep but doesn't hit hard)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MINTEVENTRESOURCES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2017 at 7:05pm
Hello all to confirm. By adding another baffle I will increase the cone control, Spl, and pressure from the box? I want to be sure I understand this correctly before I make any modifications. Would a picture of the box help you guys?

Edited by MINTEVENTRESOURCES - 13 April 2017 at 7:58pm
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2017 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by MINTEVENTRESOURCES MINTEVENTRESOURCES wrote:

We all know that the PD, Void, and Turbomax are the most respected and best. With that said those are diffidukt to obtain here in America. What would be you choice for a speaker in this class?

18 sound 9601 all day long, easy to source in the us too.
https://www.elements-audio.com
MINTEVENTRESOURCES View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MINTEVENTRESOURCES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2017 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by bee bee wrote:

We all know that the PD, Void, and Turbomax are the most respected and best. With that said those are diffidukt to obtain here in America. What would be you choice for a speaker in this class?

18 sound 9601 all day long, easy to source in the us too.

This unit wants a ton of power. Not sure if this will cure my SPL and pressure issue? Would you say yes? Would you say this driver stands up the the PD, Void, Turbo kings?

djkeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djkeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2017 at 10:37pm

This unit wants a ton of power. Not sure if this will cure my SPL and pressure issue? Would you say yes? Would you say this driver stands up the the PD, Void, Turbo kings?

This speaker (18Sound) will more than stand up remember the Void and Turbomax require a lot of juice as well and as one forum member reminded me there is a trade off with higher power usually you get lower sensitivity PD obviously higher Sensi out of the bunch. Could also look at B&C,but the 18Sound will deffo do the job as the rest

Edited by djkeet - 14 April 2017 at 11:14pm
Soundbite
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2017 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by djkeet djkeet wrote:

This speaker (18Sound) will more than stand up remember the Void and Turbomax require a lot of juice as well and as one forum member reminded me there is a trade off with higher power usually you get lower sensitivity PD obviously higher Sensi out of the bunch. Could also look at B&C,but the 18Sound will deffo do the job as the rest

No.

Void V18-1000 is the most sensitive out of "The Bunch".

Still seems, people buy "big man drivers", and then try to power them with "little boy" amps.

You shouldn't buy Void, PD 185x, Turbomax, 18sound 18NLW9601, unless you have an amp, that can "really" deliver 1000w, 40-100hz, per 8 ohm driver.

Most sub amps advertise huge output figures, and simply can't do the above, @ 4 ohm stereo.

I've used Void Inf8Mk2, to power 2x 8 ohm 18sound 18NLW9601 per channel, in my Lev .44 Scoops, and the sub and throw was immense.

Match right driver, with right cab, right amp AND "Speaker Cable", and it all becomes quite easy.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MINTEVENTRESOURCES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2017 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

Originally posted by djkeet djkeet wrote:

No.

Still seems, people buy "big man drivers", and then try to power them with "little boy" amps.

You shouldn't buy Void, PD 185x, Turbomax, 18sound 18NLW9601, unless you have an amp, that can "really" deliver 1000w, 40-100hz, per 8 ohm driver.

Most sub amps advertise huge output figures, and simply can't do the above, @ 4 ohm stereo.

I've used Void Inf8Mk2, to power 2x 8 ohm 18sound 18NLW9601 per channel, in my Lev .44 Scoops, and the sub and throw was immense.

Match right driver, with right cab, right amp AND "Speaker Cable", and it all becomes quite easy.

Lev

I couldn't agree more with the matching that is definitely the key. Are you familiar with the issue I am facing with my box itself? Could you lend a helping hand?
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2017 at 12:59pm

Lev

I couldn't agree more with the matching that is definitely the key. Are you familiar with the issue I am facing with my box itself? Could you lend a helping hand?

First thing, don't listen to people on here, who don't like Scoops, or Reggae Soundsystems/Reggae.

Next, like Bee said, 18LW1400 is pretty average in Scoops compared to other, superior drivers.

Before you go modifying Scoop, accept possibility your Scoop design might just be average, and maybe better you sell all of them, and just get better Scoops built.

Right,

What is depth from Rear baffle to inside of front baffle, in mm?
What is the width from left to right, inside of chamber, in mm?
What is the length from top to bottom of rear baffle, in mm?

Is there just gap at bottom of rear baffle? if so what is height, in mm?

Before people start talking about reducing anything, and mods, is intelligent to know approximate volume of chamber first.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2017 at 1:46pm
First of all, put some picture here so people can see what is going on.
Second, 18LW1400 is not a bad driver, it is pretty much same thing with the RCF 18P300 that is one of the recommended drivers for the Rog's scoop.
Now it is outdated for sure, but for a moderate spl job it should do just fine.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
JR.junior View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR.junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2017 at 5:24pm
I  sugest that you alter the throat size step by step, till you find the right opening size and than fix the plate with overhang on the throat opening at the rear baffle. Any pictures yet to come?
Support the scoop technology, larger mouth plays louder!
djkeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djkeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2017 at 9:47pm
[QUOTE=levyte357-]

No.

Rather than take the discussion away from the matter at hand Lev or anyone else can you explain to me why you feel that Void is the most sensitive as its common knowledge that its a greedy driver @ 97.7 PD 98 am I missing something or is there other data out there?
Soundbite
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2017 at 10:45pm
Why do you think a driver's free air sensitivity matters once it is mated to a horn? It isn't working into free air anymore.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MINTEVENTRESOURCES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2017 at 2:02am
Hello all , pictures and measurements coming shortly.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>