Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

what amp for bms4554

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2017 at 4:11pm
hi
i bought a very used labgruppen lab1000 for my 1.4" cds and i'm very happy; i'm running digital inukes under 1 khz but wanted something better above that - maybe just psycoacoustics but at least it's not an all behringer rack - note that i'm  happy with the inukes under 1khz.
the lab1000 is class AB, sounds quite good to me and many others, honestly rated at 350 at 8 ohm and 550 at 4 so it could handle a couple of cds a channel, it has clip limiters, nice detailed led vu meters 2 sensitivy settings so i can set it at 1.7 volts and gain more headroom in the dcx limiter, short circuit, high frequency and other protections so i'm a little more confident in using it with the most fragile driver of my system. and it is beautiful; ok above an inuke almost every amp is...

downsides? old tech, something could go bad inside... it has been working strong for 6 months but i'm going to have it checked by a professional. and the WEIGHT. at 19 kilos it's not far from 4 inuke6000 (5.5 kg each), but you are allready devoted to thoroidals so that may be light for you.
for me, i'll stay digital under 1000hz, and if i could afford good digital amps for the tops i'd let class AB for hifi... 

edit. i paid it 300 euros so fits your budget.
ideally though i like the idea of same  amps for everything, sounds right for a lot of reasons.
in the past we used to rent two 4 channel lab10.000fp to run the system and was really easy to set up and use and allowed different voltage peak limiters on each channel.

Edited by Jo bg - 13 April 2017 at 4:23pm
Nikkolas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikkolas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2017 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

What sort of choice of amps do you have available in Cyprus? Have you tried borrowing other amps to test? It may not be your present amp, but some other issue, eg crossover or cabling. Worth checking that before buying anything else.

no other issues like xover or cables.....so far i have 3 options. either a new art sla1 or sla2 from thomann. a used caudio st400 or a used lab gruppen lab1300c. thats the options so far
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2017 at 9:45am
The Art´s are a bit small. The best option sounds like the Lab. Just have it serviced or checked before you use it.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Nikkolas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikkolas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2017 at 8:35pm
isnt the 1300c (8Ω / 2X350W) a bit too much for driving 2 bms 4554 (8Ω / 80W)?
krazyneil View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazyneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2017 at 9:08pm
no its fine ,a bit of headroom is preferable to a to low powered amp
GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!!!
Nikkolas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikkolas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2017 at 9:19pm

The Art´s are a bit small. The best option sounds like the Lab. Just have it serviced or checked before you use it.

whats there to look for before buying this amp? any known issues?
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2017 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by Nikkolas Nikkolas wrote:

whats there to look for before buying this amp? any known issues?

No, no issues. It´s just that 300/400€ sounds quite cheap for that amp. I was just wondering if it was 100% ok.  Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12